News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's this? EDAGE Tarbosaurus

Started by Mr. Challenger, March 26, 2017, 03:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"I think its kind of unique. But how come these comapneys always spawn from CHINA????   It makes it a Pain for me to obtain them
I feel there is somthing cheaply made about this product.       It may look legit but for all i know it could be made from used medical supplies.      How come  no one heard of this before?   How come its from a website that is notorious for selling knockoffs?.    This is how i felt about Itoy.    They give little to no info about themselves when compared to PNSO and recur who are very open."
don't forget that Mojo and CollectA are China based BIG companies.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Loon

I don't know why, but the base reminds me of cake...

...or this:

but, the less said about this, the better.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Takama on March 27, 2017, 04:54:11 AM
I feel there is somthing cheaply made about this product.       It may look legit but for all i know it could be made from used medical supplies.      How come  no one heard of this before?   How come its from a website that is notorious for selling knockoffs?.    This is how i felt about Itoy.    They give little to no info about themselves when compared to PNSO and recur who are very open.   

I do not appreciate the look of this Tarbosaurus, but if it would be called a knockoff I would be hard pressed to name the original. Same goes for I-toy. I recently obtained the Ceratosaurus and its a high qualitiy figure with a lot of detail. I like the colors but it deifently lacks the intriguing colors or patterns of Rebor or PNSO. However, all this stuff comes from China, may it be Safari, CollectA, Papo or Schleich (which also produces in Tunesia, Portugal and Germany - at least until recently, dunno if still) and I guess there's a lot of talented sculptors in that big (!) country, PNSO prooves so. Some simply may have noticed that there's a bunch of collectors paying hard cash for higher quality products and mass producing a detailed and well sculpted model isn't much more work than producing a "cheap chinasaur" from the standpoint of pure production - just the intial sculpting and form making is. And for all we know, they may have company websites with introduction of themselves, but they may completly be in Chinese, I mean, I know the sites of the likes as Colorata and Favorite, but I can only follow pictures there, I don't understand a single word :D

ZoPteryx

I'm just curious why they called it Tarbosaurus when it could just as easily (and poorly) have been a Tyrannosaurus.  Makes me think they renamed it to avoid being accused of plagiarizing the original inspiration.

Dobber

IIRC, there was a push to re-name it Tyrannosaurus Bataar, but I don't know what came of it.
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

GasmaskMax

This thing looks very...interesting. I actually don't get any normal dino vibes (if ya follow) from this thing. It screams chinasaur but its just too dang detailed!

Takama

Now do you guys beleive me that there a bootleg companey?

stargatedalek

That's not a bootleg. You can't just through words like that around carelessly.

A bootleg is when something is physically duplicated by another company. Copying a marketing strategy is not bootlegging.

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 01, 2017, 08:26:21 PM
That's not a bootleg. You can't just through words like that around carelessly.

A bootleg is when something is physically duplicated by another company. Copying a marketing strategy is not bootlegging.

OK maybe Bootleg is wrong word.    But this model looks an awful lot like another companeys model. One that im sure weare ALL famileier with. Heck, evean that companey chimed in on it

amargasaurus cazaui

Not surprisingly EDAGE is EgadE spelled backwards!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

"Have some dignity" is quite an ironic outcry from a company that has started arguments with children and insulted the work of their competitors. They really can't complain about people buying copies of things that were limited editions and aren't being produced anymore anyway.

Sim

Both of this brand's figures and a lot of the posts in this thread are hilarious. :))

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 01, 2017, 09:35:10 PM
"Have some dignity" is quite an ironic outcry from a company that has started arguments with children and insulted the work of their competitors. They really can't complain about people buying copies of things that were limited editions and aren't being produced anymore anyway.

I think it isn't right to recast someone else's figure or part of one, but it's ironic that REBOR says, "HAVE SOME DIGNITY!", given the Jurassic Park designs copying REBOR has done.  I think it was said very well in this quote from this DinoGoss blog post: http://dinogoss.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/raiders-of-dinosaur-art-rampant.html

QuoteJust take a look at Papo, a French toy company well-known for outright copies of designs from Jurassic Park, as well as an Allosaurus I instantly recognized as based on Brett Booth's illustration (I'd had that as my desktop background for years in the late '90s). Dinosaur toy collectors don't usually bat an eye at this kind of plagiarism because it's so expected. JP is a very popular franchise and has made its distinctive designs created by artist Crash McCreery almost the definitive versions of those species in pop culture. This omnipresence, however, does not instantly make those designs public domain, and while not the work of the underdog small-time independent artists copied by Geoworld, endless carbon copies of the McCreery Tyrannosaurus are just as wrong and unethical as stealing the work of a young artist from DeviantArt.

tanystropheus

I'm not sure how this is a threat to REBOR since they've already sold out of their stock of LE Jolly. Jolly is not going to be reissued or anything. It's good melodramatics on their part, though. Heck, whatever works, as far as publicity (of brand) is concerned.

Interestingly enough, Sideshow seemed flattered when Papo emulated their design.

Neosodon

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 02, 2017, 01:36:51 AM
I'm not sure how this is a threat to REBOR since they've already sold out of their stock of LE Jolly. Jolly is not going to be reissued or anything. It's good melodramatics on their part, though. Heck, whatever works, as far as publicity (of brand) is concerned.

Interestingly enough, Sideshow seemed flattered when Papo emulated their design.

Even if it's a discontinued model I don't think it's ok to make bootlegs of it. I bought a bootleg Papo T Rex once and it was not as good as the real thing. It lowered my opinion of papo for a few years until I finally realized it was fake. So bootlegs of discontinued models can still hurt the company.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Silvanusaurus

At least the egg on this one isn't a TARDIS.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Neosodon on May 02, 2017, 06:06:48 PM

Even if it's a discontinued model I don't think it's ok to make bootlegs of it. I bought a bootleg Papo T Rex once and it was not as good as the real thing. It lowered my opinion of papo for a few years until I finally realized it was fake. So bootlegs of discontinued models can still hurt the company.

I think the main issue with toy bootlegs is the chemicals that are used in the product (i.e. product safety).

"Technically", Pepsi-Cola is a bootleg of Coca-Cola. I prefer Pepsi-Cola because of its power to break up riots.

Halichoeres

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 02, 2017, 11:17:30 PM
Quote from: Neosodon on May 02, 2017, 06:06:48 PM

I think the main issue with toy bootlegs is the chemicals that are used in the product (i.e. product safety).

"Technically", Pepsi-Cola is a bootleg of Coca-Cola. I prefer Pepsi-Cola because of its power to break up riots.

That is a very impressive property of Pepsi, yes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Am I the only one who finds this better than "Jolly"?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on May 04, 2017, 11:09:11 PM
Am I the only one who finds this better than "Jolly"?
No it's actually much nicer :P
And presumably made of more durable plastic instead of resin.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: