News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, collecting and reference

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

hmmm... happy with all the figs save the fukuiraptor, but to echo Megalosaurus, I'll most likely get the entire set.

...And it seems I'm the only one happy with the repainted pteranodon... hahaha.

John

Quote from: ITdactyl on October 03, 2015, 02:02:59 PM

hmmm... happy with all the figs save the fukuiraptor, but to echo Megalosaurus, I'll most likely get the entire set.

...And it seems I'm the only one happy with the repainted pteranodon... hahaha.
You're not the only one!
As always,I'm happy to see more Kaiyodo dinosaurs and prehistoric animals turn up. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

stargatedalek

Quote from: sauroid on October 03, 2015, 06:18:17 AMfor me: softer plastic material means more durable/lasting than the former material Kaiyodo used. as long as they sculpt and paint their figures the same way (excellently), i dont mind the shift.
Agreed in full. While it may make them feel less specialized as collectibles it's a very small price to pay for peace of mind should they take a tumble off a shelf.

Patrx

Quote from: sauroid on October 03, 2015, 06:18:17 AMfor me: softer plastic material means more durable/lasting than the former material Kaiyodo used. as long as they sculpt and paint their figures the same way (excellently), i dont mind the shift.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but I often felt at risk of breaking the earlier plastic during assembly ;D  It takes a surprising amount of force to get some of those pieces together.

sauroid

handling the older Kaiyodos is very stressful. i once had a boxful of them fall on the floor, thankfully only a couple of items got broken (a miracle actually). i thought i was gonna pass out. and holding the rare ones is like holding a holy relic.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

I'll get 4 out of the 5--I dont do repaints unless I luck out with them in lots later (2 green triceratops!).

The croc has me the most excited--sort of like this past year's Mosasaurus. If nothing else, I hope that Kaiyodo continue to include at least 2 non-dinos everytime (and maybe two unique ones each time...?). Now lets see a Xiphactinus by them!

Uroplatus

Quote from: SBell on October 03, 2015, 08:44:42 PM
I'll get 4 out of the 5--I dont do repaints unless I luck out with them in lots later (2 green triceratops!).

The croc has me the most excited--sort of like this past year's Mosasaurus. If nothing else, I hope that Kaiyodo continue to include at least 2 non-dinos everytime (and maybe two unique ones each time...?). Now lets see a Xiphactinus by them!

^^ x2

Xiphactinus would be great.

antorbitalfenestrae

Anyone who has a large Kaiyodo collection-- about how long did it take, and what's the best method of getting them, and storing them? (Kaiyodo Dinotales are my goal)

DinoLord

I have a complete Dinotales collection, barring the exceedingly rare 4th Siamotyrannus variant (I could buy a Sideshow statue for the money that thing goes for...). It took me several years. I mainly did it through trading with or buying from other forum members. I have a lot of spares, as does forum member brettnj. Brett also has a service where he helps those of us outside of Japan buy figures from Yahoo Auctions Japan (the Japanese version of eBay) with some fees involved.

However even on YAJ some figures may hardly be offered (Dinotales have been retired for quite a while now), or you may get caught up in bidding wars (sometimes surprisingly fierce). Patience is key, as is knowing exactly what you're after. Brontodocus' Dinotales Reference Galleries on Facebook are very useful for showing which figures are in each series and what paint variations exist.

Halichoeres

I also have some extras that can get you started (I only collect the ones that about 1:50 scale and larger). I'm only missing one that I want, and I've been collecting for less than a year.

As for storage, I think the nicest Kaiyodo-only displays I've seen are the ones in printer's boxes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Megalosaurus

Hello.
I have a bunch of kayodos now, including some duplicates.
Is there a Checklist of Kaiyodo Dinotales, including all variants?
Thank you.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 27, 2016, 01:25:43 AM
Hello.
I have a bunch of kayodos now, including some duplicates.
Is there a Checklist of Kaiyodo Dinotales, including all variants?
Thank you.

I'd love to know this as well? 

DinoLord

Andre Mursch's Kaiyodo Dinotales Reference Galleries would be the closest thing to that. The only ones he's missing are the Series 3 special release Acrocanthosaurus and the exceedingly rare 4th Siamotyrannus variant.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: DinoLord on January 27, 2016, 02:40:56 AM
Andre Mursch's Kaiyodo Dinotales Reference Galleries would be the closest thing to that. The only ones he's missing are the Series 3 special release Acrocanthosaurus and the exceedingly rare 4th Siamotyrannus variant.

Excellent! Thanks DinoLord! 

Megalosaurus

Well.
I took the Galleries referenced and did this Kaiyodo Dinotales Collector Checklist.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oMgv6QUjzfR3ZvdEhjMVFwWk0/view?usp=sharing
I need the collectors help to verify it and aid me to complete it, so it can be released to public.
Thank you.

Edit:Updated the file

Viking Spawn

Thank you for taking the extra step, Megalosaurus!   

DinoLord

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 27, 2016, 06:18:38 PM
Well.
I took the Galleries referenced and did this Kaiyodo Dinotales Collector Checklist.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oMgv6QUjzfbExpamRUekIyb2s/view?usp=sharing
I need the collectors help to verify it and aid me to complete it, so it can be released to public.
Thank you.

Neat checklist! A few additions:

S1 T. rex, special white version
S3 Acrocanthosaurus limited (analogous to the S2 white Allosaurus)

Megalosaurus

Quote from: DinoLord on January 27, 2016, 08:57:07 PM

Thank you.

Added those 2.
Also added the "Encyclopedia of The Paleozoic" new variants. Is it allright?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 27, 2016, 11:51:53 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on January 27, 2016, 08:57:07 PM

Thank you.

Added those 2.
Also added the "Encyclopedia of The Paleozoic" new variants. Is it allright?

That's a good question--the Encyclopedia of the Paleozoic figures aren't quite the same sculpts, although they are the same poses and sizes. The new ones are definitely more detailed, and of course they have bases and different places for the joins. They're also part of the CapsuleQ Museum series, so if you're going to include them I would probably also include the rest of the sets.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: