You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, collecting and reference

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

i have the Dino Expo Guanlong, Spinosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Gigantoraptor and Mamenchisaurus and they all come with a pair of clear rods and the bases have slots for them when they dont really need them at all.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

brettnj

I sorta forgot about this thread.

Two pending Kaiyodo CQ prehistoric sets--one dull/redundant, one interesting/redundant (Dunno why these weren't released like this originally.)--due in July and August respectively, I think...

postsaurischian

Quote from: brettnj on February 15, 2015, 12:25:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQIU0mXs4U

I came across this video reviewing the Kaiyodo Dino Expo guanlong and wonder 2 things...

Why does it come with clear posts and slots for them in the base when it appears to be self-supporting?  And...

Is there a reference here or anywhere indicating which Expo resins are Kaiyodo v not?  I hadn't realized this one was.

Thanks.
Brett

The Dinosaur Expo 2009 series was not made by Kaiyodo. It was made by Capcom.
What we see in Ikesauro's video is a 2010 re-release (the Expo was touring).

Alexxitator

Quote from: brettnj on May 09, 2015, 05:43:55 PM
I sorta forgot about this thread.

Two pending Kaiyodo CQ prehistoric sets--one dull/redundant, one interesting/redundant (Dunno why these weren't released like this originally.)--due in July and August respectively, I think...

I will be watching both, especially the second one.
Big chance I will contact u around that time  ;)
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

CityRaptor

Well, I have an interest in those so-called  redundant sets.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Alexxitator

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Roselaar

This set is new to me, anyone know more about it? Ichthyostega is a new one for Kaiyodo I think.

Fluffysaurus

My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

DinoLord

Yes, Kaiyodo recently released this set (the 'Great Leap Forward' set) in conjunction with a museum exhibition. All the sculpts excluding the Dunkleosteus appear to be new.

Fluffysaurus

Quote from: DinoLord on July 28, 2015, 11:04:53 PM
Yes, Kaiyodo recently released this set (the 'Great Leap Forward' set) in conjunction with a museum exhibition. All the sculpts excluding the Dunkleosteus appear to be new.
Where to get it?
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Roselaar

Quote from: DinoLord on July 28, 2015, 11:04:53 PM

Where to get it indeed... Is this gonna be another one of those rare museum exclusive sets?

DinoLord

I know Brett arranged to get this set for a good amount of his buyers a couple of weeks ago, but it might be too late. Best to pm/email him to check.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Neven Florian on July 29, 2015, 07:20:00 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiyodo-Dinotales-Dino-Expo-Guanlong-Raptor-PVC-Dinosaur-Figure-Model-/201380242796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee332a56c

I bought this guanlong, is it the original or a capcom one ? :)

The Dinosaur Expo 2009 series was originally made by Capcom. People tend to call them Kaiyodos - I don't know why!
What you have here is a 2010 re-release (the Expo was touring), which is still an original, just the package was altered.
I have never seen any bootlegs of this series.

Neven Florian

postsaurischian

^-^ The Cretaceous set has just been released.

Invicta Hunter

Is there any rare colour variant with this new set?

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 29, 2015, 07:36:11 AM
Quote from: Neven Florian on July 29, 2015, 07:20:00 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiyodo-Dinotales-Dino-Expo-Guanlong-Raptor-PVC-Dinosaur-Figure-Model-/201380242796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee332a56c

I bought this guanlong, is it the original or a capcom one ? :)

The Dinosaur Expo 2009 series was originally made by Capcom. People tend to call them Kaiyodos - I don't know why!
What you have here is a 2010 re-release (the Expo was touring), which is still an original, just the package was altered.
I have never seen any bootlegs of this series.
Interesting, I didn't know that there were two releases of the Capcom figures. Are the ones with Roman numerals the re-releases, then?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 29, 2015, 12:34:48 PM
^-^ The Cretaceous set has just been released.

Clever move, going with the Deinonychus skeleton rather than a fleshed-out model. That way, they don't have to worry about feathers, as this is an obvious JW cash-in.  ;) I will say I really like the Triceratops and the Pteranodon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on July 29, 2015, 02:52:56 PM
Is there any rare colour variant with this new set?

Not that I'm aware of.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 29, 2015, 03:26:26 PM
....... I didn't know that there were two releases of the Capcom figures. Are the ones with Roman numerals the re-releases, then?

Exactly!

Edit: I just realized that there are even 3 different package cover designs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: