News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, collecting and reference

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 06:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

stargatedalek

that archelon in particular is beautiful
I've been buying my Kaiyodo second hand, does anyone know of any direct retail sources that ship to North America?

Alexxitator

I also have been scouring the web looking for more direct ways of getting these pretties. Getting them somewhat more cheap-ish is my main reason fer that honestly. Any thoughts?
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

SBell

Quote from: Alexxitator on August 23, 2014, 12:57:18 PM
I also have been scouring the web looking for more direct ways of getting these pretties. Getting them somewhat more cheap-ish is my main reason fer that honestly. Any thoughts?

There are no direct ways to buy these, they will always be 'second-hand'. For one reason, most Dinotales are long out of production. Even the current marine reptile set is probably done now. They always limit them.
Second, and more importantly--they are not sold in stores. The originals were sold in blind boxes with candy (it's terrible). The current ones are sold in vending machines in capsules. Some of the figures were sold boxed at dinosaur exhibitions, or giveaways in magazines.

And they are never sold outside of Japan.

So we all must find a way within Japan. There are lots of sellers, and even someone, Brettnj, on this site, that has sources in Japan, but they still must be purchased by someone in Japan.

DinoLord

I have been getting into collecting these again recently after a long hiatus. Currently have 94 out of 196 (some but not all special releases included in that total), and am looking to complete the collection as much as I can. It's a shame what some of these go for on eBay these days, as they're really quite lovely figures.

Does anyone know when the first Series of Dinotales was released?

Alexxitator

Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2014, 07:24:32 PM
I have been getting into collecting these again recently after a long hiatus. Currently have 94 out of 196 (some but not all special releases included in that total), and am looking to complete the collection as much as I can. It's a shame what some of these go for on eBay these days, as they're really quite lovely figures.

Does anyone know when the first Series of Dinotales was released?

I believe most, if not all the info ye might look for is in these pages.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaiyodo-Dinotales-Reference-Galleries/149100965149683?sk=photos_stream&tab=photos_albums

It is indeed not seldom these pretties are sold for prices near Papo, Collecta and such range. And sometimes as high as a nice Favorite desktop model...
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

DinoLord

Brontodocus' galleries have been invaluable in my sorting of my Dinotales collection. Unfortunately his page doesn't list any information on chronology.

docronnie

Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2014, 09:32:53 PM
Brontodocus' galleries have been invaluable in my sorting of my Dinotales collection. Unfortunately his page doesn't list any information on chronology.

For chronology, try this link:

http://dmf.kinolulu.com/db/
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

DinoLord

Thanks for the link. No wonder some of these are so hard to track down; they're a lot older than I thought!

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

SBell

Quote from: docronnie on October 06, 2014, 04:34:42 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2014, 09:32:53 PM

For chronology, try this link:

http://dmf.kinolulu.com/db/

I personally enjoy this list, and it's fun to see just how many many of my figures are older than me! Mostly Invictas of course...

Roselaar

Would it be possible for someone who owns both variations of the Series 1 Anhanguera to post a comparison pic of the pair? I just received a specimen which is different from my own, but not as much as I thought it would be. I'm not entirely convinced I know what both versions look like now...

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on December 02, 2014, 08:32:08 PM
Would it be possible for someone who owns both variations of the Series 1 Anhanguera to post a comparison pic of the pair? I just received a specimen which is different from my own, but not as much as I thought it would be. I'm not entirely convinced I know what both versions look like now...

This is Version A (More properly, Series 1)

This is version B (Series 1.2):

The big differences are the orange throat and blue colour of the S1 compared to the white throat on the S1.2 and the more grey-ish colour (which of course can vary). There are of course other differences--feet/hand colour, face and neck highlights, etc.
Also, like many of the S1.2 models, the painting is crisper and more detailed (look at the eyes for example--still obvious despite my crummy photography).
And while I can't prove it from these photos, I am almost certain that, again like many S1.2 models, the actual pieces for assembly are different (note the shoulders of the figures--the entire wing limb of the S1.2 is a separate piece; I believe on the S1 it was only the distal portion of the wing that was separate.
Fun game--if you aren't certain which series the mold is based on, look at the name/number stamp on the figure. The S1.2 re-releases will have a full stop/period/dot behind the number. This is especially important for frequently re-used models like the original Tyrannosaurus.

Roselaar

Very informative, thank you! Sadly this confirms I now don't own both versions, just two minor variations of the regular Anhanguera. Oh well...

loru1588

DinoLord

Awesome gallery! Kaiyodo has been producing wonderful dinosaurs for decades it seems; hopefully that continues (the recent trends in the CapsuleQ sets are a bit concerning).

Roselaar

Wow, I had no idea Kaiyodo produced so many great vinyl sets! Highly unlikely I'll get my hands on the majority of them, sadly.

brettnj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQIU0mXs4U

I came across this video reviewing the Kaiyodo Dino Expo guanlong and wonder 2 things...

Why does it come with clear posts and slots for them in the base when it appears to be self-supporting?  And...

Is there a reference here or anywhere indicating which Expo resins are Kaiyodo v not?  I hadn't realized this one was.

Thanks.
Brett

Alexxitator

Quote from: brettnj on February 15, 2015, 12:25:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQIU0mXs4U

I came across this video reviewing the Kaiyodo Dino Expo guanlong and wonder 2 things...

Why does it come with clear posts and slots for them in the base when it appears to be self-supporting?  And...

Is there a reference here or anywhere indicating which Expo resins are Kaiyodo v not?  I hadn't realized this one was.

Thanks.
Brett

My... I have just fallen in LOVE! What a pretty piece that is!
-Charles Darwin-

Tallin

It is a gorgeous model...and one of my favourite dinosaurs too...I expect it's hard to get hold of in England though :(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: