News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pet Dinosaur?

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, July 04, 2012, 10:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I thought this would be an appropriate idea for a game. To participate, list some prehistoric life forms you would like to have as a pet most, and a reason for it. I'll start.
Archaeopteryx lithographica- I would choose this dinosaur as a pet because they were smaller, and easier to mantain as well as popular. Archaeopteryx are often featured in museums. people would also be surprised that my 'bird' has teeth, and sickle shaped 'raptor' claws.
Pterodactylus antiquis This would be another good choice doe to its popularity and size. Pterodactylus are known from many skeletons, making preparation and research better.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Have you seen the book How to keep dinosaurs? It's right up your alley. I guarantee it! ahem.

I'd have a pet Thalassiodracon in a tank. A small one, a baby. I'd take it out to feed it biscuits and have it on my lap while watching telly. I'd hold its neck up, of course, so it could watch with me. Then, a tickle on each flipper and back in the tank for sleepy time.

amargasaurus cazaui

A very novel idea indeed. Myself, I would select a Psittacosaur, of the smaller variety. Feeding it plants and perhaps nuts would be fun. Small, compact, likely a decent runner, and seemingly not a predatorial type from his teeth and adaptations.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

I would like a compy as a pet, because it is small, and would most likely be easy to maintain like a basic chicken. Now if only I can train it to attack people who would get idea of robbing my house.

Either that, our I can go for a tiny nothosaur in a aquarium

ZoPteryx

I'd set up an aviary the size of a small room and fill it with small paleo critters, like Anchiornis, Epidexipteryx, small pterosaurs, Drepanosaurus, Tianyulong, and any other little compatible creatures.  If I had the space and fencing, I'd get a flock of ornithomimids and maybe throw a smaller oviraptorsaur in with them.  As for a largish aquarium of sorts, I'd love some placoderms, trilobites, and maybe a eurypterid too small to prey on them. ;D

Metallisuchus

A Velociraptor mongoliensis. It'd be small enough to maintain and interesting enough to sit and watch for hours on end. A Utahraptor would be too big and dangerous to have as a pet.

ITewan

I want a Leallynasaura Amicagraphica! I am Australian so pretty much the best Australian Dinosaur Pet you can get! :D
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

tyrantqueen

Since dinosaurs are related to birds, would I be able to imprint a dino baby onto myself? Y'know, like how farmers imprint geese and pet owners imprint parrots etc.

I could have a totally tame T-Rex that way XD

amargasaurus cazaui

"You wanna bring a what?.......in my house?"

[attachment msg=13282][/attachment]
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ITewan

im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Gwangi

Honestly what I really want is something I could ride so if I could tame one a mid-sized theropod would be cool. Maybe an Allosaurus. Probably not Tyrannosaurus; you know, I wouldn't want to get something too big. :)
I'm surprised by many of the answers, the small bird-like dinosaurs. You could always just get a bird.  ^-^ I will admit though, walking around with a Microraptor clinging to my back would be pretty cool.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 04, 2012, 10:17:37 PM
It's right up your alley. I guarantee it!
It's foreword by Richard Dawkins. They definitely spared no expense.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Patrx

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 06, 2012, 01:10:46 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 04, 2012, 10:17:37 PM
It's right up your alley. I guarantee it!
It's foreword by Richard Dawkins. They definitely spared no expense.

And the audiobook, that's Richard Kiley, yes?  ;)

Anyway, this is an interesting question. Of course, in reality, the selection of a companion animal requires knowledge of its habits, potential temperament and personality, and specific dietary needs, which prevents me from making an adequate appraisal with regard to nonavian dinosaur pets.

... That said, I am inclined to agree with ITewan - if ever there was a dinosaur that could reasonably be considered "cuddly", it's Leallynasaura  :)) I also considered a small deinonychusaur - but I do already have a bird. He might get jealous.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 06, 2012, 12:31:54 AM
Honestly what I really want is something I could ride so if I could tame one a mid-sized theropod would be cool. Maybe an Allosaurus. Probably not Tyrannosaurus; you know, I wouldn't want to get something too big. :)
I'm surprised by many of the answers, the small bird-like dinosaurs. You could always just get a bird.  ^-^ I will admit though, walking around with a Microraptor clinging to my back would be pretty cool.

We were trying to keep it realistic, er... as realistic as having a pet dinosaur could be, at least, haha.

Balaur

A hawk. :P No, I would have Rahonavis because it was super cute in Dinosaur Revolution, and now I think of it was an all round cute animal, and I would love having a little flying dinosaur. Also, a Microraptor would be cool too.

TheAllosaur

A Masiakasaurus. Small,(ish) fisheater, probably not to agressive. It would be fun to have one, like a dog!
Part-time genius!

alexeratops

Euoropasaurus. A small brachiosaur, small enough to keep in my back yard, and he won't try to take a bite out of me! ;D
Or maybe a small  *orthocone* !
like a bantha!

Tyrannosaurid lover

A compsognathus, oh weit, wath happend to that girl in the lost world?
When the time came out the amaizine animals that the time and extintion lef behind will be back.

amargasaurus cazaui

In light of new discoveries I have determined I would like a Pegomastax. Quills optional, fangs for sure !!!I would have a nice small environment in the backyard, with Pego, my Psittacosaurus, a Tianyulong, protoceratops, and a microceratops. Then when it is time to mow, I could just expand their area.

Primeval12

I'd have a Diictodon or rhoanavis for a pet. However in my house the rhoanavis would pick up on lots of swears

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: