News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 20, 2017, 07:26:16 PM
It is impossible to get a mass production copy that is more detailed than the prototype. You're making a copy so some "crispness" of detail will be lost. But it is not noticeable for most people, who would not have handled an original.

QuoteThe psittacosaurus has me excited, first the piece from Safari last year, and now this one. Not to be devil's advocate, but given the pieces already on the market, other than last years outing by Safari, schleich could make quite a few mistakes and still manage to make a better representation than most available.
Call me crazy but I had a feeling you'd be happy about the Psittacosaurus ;)
lol yes TQ you are not crazy...and welcome back. Always good to see you....you helped me get some of the best models I have !
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Archosauria

So, not to derail the current conversation, but wasn't Schleich going to make a plesiosaur for 2018? I didn't see it in their reveals. I was really excited for it. Did they cancel it? Has it just not been released yet?

I need moar plesiosaurs for my collection.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Joey

There was actually a silloute of it on the schleich website, and it was actually planned for 2017 and still no one knows what happened to it. They most likely just abanoned the idea all together or cancelled it for that year. We'll see maybe they are going make one for 2019.

SpartanSquat

I think the plesiosaur was planned before the change of dinosaur line up in 2016

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, the year 2018 has not even begun, and although they have revealed novelties of 2018 that will be commercialized in December-January of that year, a second consignment like this year (kentrosaurus and acrocanthosaurus) still has to be revealed by the middle of 2018, I would not lose hope so soon, unless someone has credible news that Schleich will not perform that figure during that year.

I do not lose hope as to the revelation of new figures and that one of them is the plesiosaurus.  :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: RolandEden on October 21, 2017, 03:15:05 PM
I think the plesiosaur was planned before the change of dinosaur line up in 2016

That's a shame. I think Schleich would have made a fairly decent Plesiosaur.

PhilSauria

Yeah, I'd also like a new Plesiosaur. Hopefully it will emerge at some point in the future.

Reptilia

That Plesiosaurus temporary page on Schleich's website was most likely a mistake.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 20, 2017, 09:30:03 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 20, 2017, 07:26:16 PM
It is impossible to get a mass production copy that is more detailed than the prototype. You're making a copy so some "crispness" of detail will be lost. But it is not noticeable for most people, who would not have handled an original.

QuoteThe psittacosaurus has me excited, first the piece from Safari last year, and now this one. Not to be devil's advocate, but given the pieces already on the market, other than last years outing by Safari, schleich could make quite a few mistakes and still manage to make a better representation than most available.
Call me crazy but I had a feeling you'd be happy about the Psittacosaurus ;)
lol yes TQ you are not crazy...and welcome back. Always good to see you....you helped me get some of the best models I have !

Thank you, good to see you as well my friend.

Irritation

Here is an in-hand image of the 2018 Carnotaurus and T-Rex. The Carnotaurus looks decently as sized, don't know how big the Tyrannosaurus is.

Lanthanotus

"31,5 x 11,5 x 14,5 cm (B x T x H)" (cm that is) according to the Schleich website where the T. rex is officially sold with some "special" mark, whatever that means (maybe it means it's only sold via their website/shop, as other online shops do not even have images of this figures, nor do physical shops have it in stock). Quite big if that's correct. Gonna order it there and see in a few days....

Irritation

So it's a bit taller than the 2012 T-Rex. Now waiting for the Dinogorgon and the Tawa.

terrorchicken

I saw the carnotaurus at Barnes and Noble yesterday. They are now selling Schleich figures. They also has some older current figures including the kentrosaurus which I really liked.

tanystropheus

Quote from: PhilSauria on October 22, 2017, 08:27:16 AM
Yeah, I'd also like a new Plesiosaur. Hopefully it will emerge at some point in the future.

Hopefully, the emergence will not resemble that of Nessie (or a Nessie sighting).

Lanthanotus

I received the new Tyrannosaurus two days ago and it is Schleich's best Tyrant ever I dare say. That itself may not mean as much as we all know Schleich's previous attempts...but aside from some persistent inaccuracies (arms too big, feet too big, but at least not as clownish anymore as in other renditions) it is a great sculpt and to my own surprise well proportioned. That's even weirder because its proportions look very out of place. In fact the head is very big, but I measured the figure out and most measurements are more or less exactly the same as in Safari's Feathered Tyrant, just said arm length and toe lenght (but it stands much more stable than the Safari and wont topple after a time) are bigger and - and that's probably why it looks so off - the head is. Once the review blog is back "online" I hope I can write a review of that figure down, because it really deserves it.

Reptilia

The only thing that bothers me are the blunted teeth, typical Schleich. Other than that is quite a nice sculpt.

sauroid

i agree about the awful blunted teeth. they are just so in "bad taste"/tacky/cheesy and generally ugly. if Papo can make their carnivorous theropods/etc. with sharp teeth i dont see why Schleich can not. thats why the only recent Schleich i buy are non-carnivorous prehistoric figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

That's right, it is a deliberate choice from Schleich, which I don't understand.

Lanthanotus

Well, in the Safari Feathered Tyrant the teeth are also blunted, given, not as extremly, but therefor all of them are forming a fused row while the Schleich one has them seperated from each other which I find way more convincing (customized my WS Tyrant by sharpening its teeth and adding some space in between them). It probably is a requirement to safety reglations for several certifications and especially outnerving on smaller figures (like the Safari Psittacosaurus). That Schleich is capable of fine an intricate and sharp detailing can be seen on most of their recent animal figures. waht makes it awful in my opinion is the bared teeth at all, lips, gawd, those animal had covered teeth.... but it is still state of the art it seems.

Reptilia

I think Safari's even worse than Schleich on that matter, but I guess it is a production problem for them, rather than a deliberate stylistic choice like Schleich's.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: