News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Schleich has taken a giant leap.

The psittacosaurus is a great figure that mint green color makes it attractive.

In regards to your triceratops it looks as good as in the promotional photos. It is the best figure of Schleich along with his pentaceratops.

They are very finished figures and I sincerely thank the Schleich brand. For me the best figures of that brand at least in the more than twenty years of history including the dinosaurs of the Humbold Museum in Berlin with those who really started the saga that I know of Schleich.

My opinion is that any company can make figures in quantity and quality and that happens today to Schleich. That company has improved a lot and that is appreciated.

Patrx

Even with the twisted wrists, I really like the dynamic pose of the Psittacosaurus, and I'm always happy for more figures of small ornithiscians. But, Safari's basically renders Schleich's effort unnecessary, and even if I liked the colors, the purple filaments don't make anatomical sense.

Jose S.M.

These two (Triceratops and Psittacosaurus) are among the best figures made by Schleich in recent years, but this photo of the Trike I feel like it's not from it's best angle, the image on the first page looks better. They need to improve on their accuracy still but they are fairly decent figures.

PhilSauria

Despite the various issue I will be ordering both. Can't resist a good Triceratops and this one is light years ahead of the twisted brown monstrosity that has clogged the Schleich shelves for far too long.

amargasaurus cazaui

The psittacosaurus seems to have a few pros and cons....I cannot see the front digits well enough to say for certain, but looking at only the feet, it appears to show four toes on the ground plus a dew claw digit as well....if I am seeing it correctly. I could be wrong, the image is not perfect to say for sure. If I am correct that means not only incorrect hand orientation but an extra digit on at least the feet. The paint for me never matters, it is one rattle can from being monotone or one box from being at Martin Garrats place to get a new look.
    I do feel from an asthetic view the neck is...truncated slightly as well as the tail or the entire effect of the dinosaur is too"robust"or "beefed up" for the given length. Perhaps as better pictures appear it will be possible to tell more.
   For those arguing this model does nothing the Safari did not already do better, I do suggest this model represents Sibiricus which is either not represented in the dinosaur models we have so far or was done so generically we do not recognize it as such so far.
   On the plus side this is a smallr model and should not break the bank to grab a few ...
I also do not mind the green color myself, but the purple quill structures ....are....unique.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Neosodon

The Tirceratops actually looks better than I expected but no match for Doug's. The Psitacosaurus isn't really amazing but it is by schleich standards.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

sauroid

i was expecting the Psittacosaurus to look better than this final outcome. what a letdown.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Neosodon on November 23, 2017, 05:20:55 AM
The Tirceratops actually looks better than I expected but no match for Doug's. The Psitacosaurus isn't really amazing but it is by schleich standards.

Agreed on both accounts.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 23, 2017, 02:55:04 AM
   For those arguing this model does nothing the Safari did not already do better, I do suggest this model represents Sibiricus which is either not represented in the dinosaur models we have so far or was done so generically we do not recognize it as such so far.

Certainly looks like it with those big horns.  Might be the first dino in my collection that I have multiple species of!  :))  Can't wait to see what that Martin Garret repaint of yours looks like!  ;)

Sim

I found the Triceratops looked quite impressive in the original image, but now not anymore.  The new photo shows the Schleich 2018 Triceratops copies the ugly "cracked" horns of the Jurassic Park Triceratops, just like how the Papo Triceratops copied this too.  Also, in this new photo, the eye on the Schleich 2018 Triceratops appears to be much too big, larger even than the eye socket.  Oddly, the eye looks much smaller in the original image.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 23, 2017, 02:55:04 AM
The psittacosaurus seems to have a few pros and cons....I cannot see the front digits well enough to say for certain, but looking at only the feet, it appears to show four toes on the ground plus a dew claw digit as well....if I am seeing it correctly. I could be wrong, the image is not perfect to say for sure. If I am correct that means not only incorrect hand orientation but an extra digit on at least the feet.

Looking at the new photo of the Schleich Psittacosaurus, I think I can see how it looked like it has five toes to you.  On the right foot, if one only looks at the ends of the toes, the skin connecting the two outermost toes combined with a shadow in front of it can make it look like there's one more toe there.  However, if one follows that area a little further up the foot, it becomes clear there is no extra toe there.  This also seems to be confirmed when comparing the new photo to the image of the Psittaco on page 1 of this thread.  Also, when I look at the new photo of the figure and compare the toes on the left foot with those on the right foot, it seems to show fairly clearly that the figure has four toes on each foot.  So to me it appears the Schleich Psittacosaurus has the correct number of toes.

Irritation

Well, now that I know how big the Psittacosaurus is, I have planned to get it.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Irritation on November 25, 2017, 02:06:18 AM
Well, now that I know how big the Psittacosaurus is, I have planned to get it.

I plan to buy all the news from Scheich next year, it's Schleich's best year with a difference in years. And it's more his figures are the best they've done to date and I think I'm not exaggerating. As regards the psittacosaurus of this brand is one of the best and for me it is a breakthrough on the part of that brand.

japfeif

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 08, 2017, 07:31:13 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 08, 2017, 07:06:34 PM
Quote from: The Atroxious on September 08, 2017, 06:07:21 PM
Well, saying a goronopsid is a "mammal-like reptile" does indeed imply that it is a reptile, which it is not. Personally, I think it's more confusing to label an animal as something it is not instead of labeling it properly and letting people do a quick two second google of the word if they don't understand it.
I'd just like to second this, "mammal-like reptile" is a simply enraging misnomer.

That's why I hope people would finally stop calling Dromaeosaurids "Raptors", which about 99% of the members here do - also the highly soghisticated ones :P.

(I know I'm a bit late in the game here...I don't  hit the Schleich thread much!)
"Yep" to the "raptor" comment.....although to my knowledge no one really DID call them that until Jurassic Park. And THAT was just because the movie (and book) decided to make the Velociraptor the star of the show and at that time the name was not that familiar to the general public, and "raptor" (obviously short for "Velociraptor") was just easier to say!!!!

And "yes" also to the "stop calling synapsids "mammal-like reptiles". As someone else pointed out, this implies that synapsids were reptiles...reptiles that are "like" mammals....which they are not.
It's one of those terms that folks tend to use just cuz they have been around so long. Like some folks still calling Smilodon, et. al. a "Sabertooth Tiger" even though it is not a tiger.

Reptilia

Nice pictures, the Psittacosaurus looks better than the promo shot and the trike's cool. I might get both if I stumble upon them in store.

Shonisaurus

In my retail store will be available all the Schleich news at the end of this month of December coinciding with the Christmas campaign. I already have the tyrannosaurus, carnotauxrus and velociraptor thanks to everythingdinosaur and I can assure you that the tyrnnosaurus and carnotauxrus are among the best that the Schleich brand has done to date.

On the other hand the velociraptor does not have in my opinion the same genius of tyrannosaurus and carnotaurus, but it is a substantial improvement to its predecessor.

I think that seeing the new figures Schleich (psittacosaurus and triceratops) far exceed all my expectations look very good and it is a spectacular improvement of Schleich. I understand that this year is the best of Schleich in its history.

spinosaurus1

i have to say, aside from the sloppy paint work and the quadrupedal stance, i actually think that the schleich psittacosaurus is in a good position to be one of the best psittacosaurus figures around. the detail and natural folds and wrinkles really makes this thing a stellar sculpt, and the toned , yet surprisingly natural musculature of the limbs really makes this a must buy for me. really, give this guy a repaint, and i'm willing to bet it'll be looking more like a small resin figure rather then a mass produced toy.

i honestly never thought i would ever give this much praise to a schleich figure.

amargasaurus cazaui

The orientation of the hands themselves appears incorrect as well.....it is not just the stance that is problematic. It is a solid figure from them, and surprisingly well done I agree.I will be getting a few of them, as it is an intersting species, and remarkable for a model from Schleich. I wouldnt place it in the level of best around.........that would likely go to Doug watsons, safari model, or Aaron Doyle's shapeways versions. With the incorrect hand posture it might be considered a tie with the old Carnegie model or perhaps at that level.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

BlueKrono

If we already know what color Psit. was why would they make it green? That'd be like making a panda bear figure and painting it blue.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

There are many species of Psittacosaurus, do we know the colour of all of them?

Takama

Quote from: Reptilia on December 05, 2017, 01:03:51 AM
There are many species of Psittacosaurus, do we know the colour of all of them?

No we only know the colors of One Species

Psittacosaurus sp(which means it does not have a species name yet)

The Schleich model looks like P.Sibiricus, which was larger.

Reptilia

Still possible then. I quite like the dark green colour they choose.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: