News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2017, 05:58:04 PM
I can see how you could get babirusa from it, but given Safari's hint, it doesn't sound like that's it. I don't think any of the teaser images has shown the babirusa yet.

The legs in the first one look pig like to me, but I don't know if they could be from the pigmy hippo too.

Concavenator

They said they would reveal them this week.Or at least part of th

Jose S.M.

Probably they will reveal the ones teased, then more teasers will come.

Shonisaurus

I guess in early October as they do every year and will be marketed between December of this year and next February in the online stores at least.

Collecta's first figures will be revealed mid-late November through mid-late December.

And the Papo figures will be revealed late December or early next year.

So it will be necessary to have patience and hope I predict that they will take time to reveal themselves.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on September 24, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2017, 05:58:04 PM
I can see how you could get babirusa from it, but given Safari's hint, it doesn't sound like that's it. I don't think any of the teaser images has shown the babirusa yet.

The legs in the first one look pig like to me, but I don't know if they could be from the pigmy hippo too.

Ah, I think you're right. Those could definitely be babirusa feet.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

I was thinking the snout could be Diprotodon, or some other prehistoric mammal. Perhaps a Castoroides, or even a ground sloth of some kind.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Brontozaurus

I'd love nothing more than a Safari Diprotodon, but that nose looks too small. Maybe a wombat?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Brontozaurus on September 25, 2017, 07:43:42 AM
I'd love nothing more than a Safari Diprotodon, but that nose looks too small. Maybe a wombat?

If they do a diprotodon Safari it might be to make the competition to the Soutland company's diprotodon replicas.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Safari Ltd has officially announced their first 2018 figure:

https://www.safariltd.com/bernie

It isn't prehistoric but we should be seeing the dinosaurs any day now...
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Flaffy

https://www.safariltd.com/new-dragon-animal-dinosaur-toys
Figures  ;), the Mastodon is officially announced, and a scaly broken wrist "good luck mini" velociraptor is new for this year as well

American Mastodon: https://www.safariltd.com/american-mastodon
Velociraptor mini: https://www.safariltd.com/raptors-good-luck-minis

Will definitely be picking up the Mastodon.

Shonisaurus

They look fabulous I was going to communicate the primacy because I just visualized them. The mastodon is a beauty is from the scientific point very well done.

The velociraptor of luck is great is a mini of the great Safari.

Halichoeres

The Velociraptor Good Luck Mini. It's really a bummer they went with the featherless one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

A little unrelated since they are  extant but is the whale toob new? It looks really good

Faelrin

I think it's kind of cute they made a figure for their mascot. I'm super happy to see the Mastodon is already available. I can't wait to get it. I think the Harpy looks like an interesting addition to their mythical creature figures too. I am disappointed with the mini version of the old inaccurate Velociraptor figure. I really wish they would just retire those old inaccurate models already, since they kind of go against being educational now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Oh,wow the Mastodon is already available,gosh!  :o Does that mean that some of the dinosaurs that will be revealed during the following days will be avalaible too?😏😏

stargatedalek

The new whale toob looks amazing! Definitely an improvement over the previous counterparts which frankly were showing their age. Bryde's whale may even be a unique species (though I'm not sure). I assume this explains that image that seemed to have multiple species of whales together. We should still expect another blue whale separate from these however.

Good Luck Mini raptor is kind of neat, might go well with the larger counterpart. Shame they didn't wait and base it on last years Velociraptor though. A few of their outdated models are still appealing aesthetically, I for one would rather see them re-branded as science fiction or outdated designs than retired.

I have to admit, I'm actually rather fond of that xenomorph dragon :P

CMIPalaeo

That mastodon is a beauty! I was hoping to see mandibular tusks on it, but ah well. Still a gorgeous figure, I'll DEFINITELY be getting one!

On the note of extant animals - the leopard seal is great, it captures the sort of cold, reptilian menace I associate with them, and the new whales toob is awesome! The whales aren't sloppy and if I recall correctly, both the Bryde's and minke are new to Safari, and their only grey whale is the old Monterrey Bay one. Perhaps one or more will be made a proper-sized figure this year too..?
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

terrorchicken

a new whale toob makes me hope that they are remaking older toobs, and they might remake some of those old outdated dinosaur toobs!

Im also hoping a Florida panther means they have an Everglades toob planned(which Ive always wanted!)

Mastodon looks good, still dont like the shag carpet looking hair though...

Sim

I'm very disappointed Safari is making another featherless Velociraptor figure.  I expected better from Safari.  It's actually being marketed on this page where Safari says:

QuoteFeast your eyes on the newest toys from Safari Ltd.®! Here, you will find exciting additions to our collections, from TOOBS® to Good Luck Mini®'s, Dragons and more. Feel a blast from the past with our authentic dinosaurs or soar the skies with our colorful, new dragons. We are proud to showcase our Toys That Teach®, which inspire and spark imagination in everyone!

This new mini Velociraptor is essentially the opposite of the bolded parts in the quote above.  If they wanted to make a featherless Velociraptor, why not refer to it as what it is - an outdated reconstruction, instead of treating it like it's a valid reconstruction of the animal.  Well, at least now I think I understand what Safari is like.  They are interested in making prehistoric animal figures that are consistent with what is known of them, but sometimes they will make extremely incorrect prehistoric figures anyway if they think they will sell well.

The kind of situation with this new featherless Velociraptor figure is something I would've expected from Schleich, not Safari.

Patrx

It really is disappointing. I wonder why they didn't just make a miniature version of Doug's stellar Velociraptor from last year, instead of basing off the old, invalid one?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: