News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archosauria

IMO, the Carnegie Amargasaurus is the best Amargasaurus model ever made. And while I like this new one by Safari, I still find it inferior to the Carnegie one. Also the Carnegie one is more to scale with the other models.

I find it strange that Safari would choose to make a large Amargasaurus toy. I mean, yeah, it looks nice and everything, but Amargasaurus was pretty smol for a sauropod. It just doesn't make much sense.

I'm kinda iffy about big models, anyway.
On one hand, large models are impressive and usually very detailed.
But on the other hand, they're typically pretty expensive and I have no room to put them.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

dinoMD

I think that the concerns and reservations expressed by other members on the forum regarding the amarg are all very reasonable.

However, with that said, I am personally thrilled to be getting another sauropod from my favorite company - ordered it right away and hoping to receive it within the week. 

With that said, I look forward to the day we see a Mamenchiasurus or titanosaur (I realize that a lot of interest surrounds the South American giants, but how about an Alamosaurus?) from Wild Safari. 

Minmiminime

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on October 21, 2017, 08:06:31 AM
I don't know why, but the Amargasaurus reminds me of Skeletor. Maybe it's the buff body with a tiny head and exposed teeth, the cartoonish color probably helps too.

Anzu on the other hand is fantastic, I may think about getting it when I start earning some money.

;D Now I can't unsee it!! That's hit the nail on the head, as it were! I still really, really want it, though. I like the size, The strangeness and the bold colours a lot ^-^ My other half is hopeful that these two may arrive in the UK in time for Xmas..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 21, 2017, 09:07:41 PM
Well, nice to see a new Amarga... I like the new figure, mostly. However, that head paint scheme is just off, it makes it look like a skull! Maybe if the outlining was a different color instead of white/gray.
And yes the teeth seems a bit exposed and lip way too high ;D
Overall, nice figures. Now, we down to just the other sauropod and ceratopsian then for prehistoric? Oh, the hyeanodon  ;)

I like amargasaurus but I have to admit that his paint scheme mostly on his head and his paint around the eyes give him a somewhat sinister "zombie" look.

It is a figure very well elaborated in all the sense but what spoils it is the head in the sense that remembers a skull, I share the idea of ​​"skeleton" on the part of another member of the forum. That does not mean that it is magnificent and what I do not share, although I respect with respect to other members of the forum that is a caricature.

In terms of size I prefer in this case that a small sauropod like the shunosaurus was not made to scale and was made to that size as other members of the forum say a bigger figure is obviously more detailed but more expensive.

On the other hand as for the comment of Simon on the teeth of the amargasaurus (to which I have a great appreciation) I do not share them, since the smilodon also had the teeth exposed to the climate of shift during his whole life and did not spoil said dentition . That subject has already been exposed with current animals by other members such as the walrus for example.

Anyway I am going to buy it and sincerely despite the criticisms I will take care of it to my store of all the life of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid.

terrorchicken

Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM
Now that I know how big the Amargasaurus is, I'm even less inclined to get it. Already have the versions from Carnegie and Battat anyway.

same!

I like both figures but I too have space and money to take in consideration.  :(

QuoteBut maybe there's a reason for that, maybe there's an upcoming predator it's meant to scale with.

maybe they are making two different scale sizes. What other dinos were around at the same time as amargasaurus(other than giganotosaurus)?

Sim

Giganotosaurus is not from the same time as Amargasaurus, it's known from millions of years after Amargasaurus.  The only other dinosaurs from the same formation as Amargasaurus appear to be little-known animals known from fragmentary remains: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Amarga_Formation

I don't think Safari currently has plans to release an Amargasaurus of similar size to the Carnegie and Battat versions.  After all, for 2017 they released a Tylosaurus figure and a huge Kronosaurus figure that's much bigger than the Tylosaurus, even though Tylosaurus grew larger than Kronosaurus.  I wonder if something similar will happen this year, they release a huge Amargasaurus figure and a smaller figure of... a titanosaur that grew larger than Amargasaurus.  Or would that be too horrible to be possible?  ;)

Jose S.M.

Or maybe they are going to make all of their sauropods that big from now on, like sticking with an approximate size instead of a scale, but that would be weird, it's just a thought I had but seems not that much likely.

Jorgesaurus

I really like amargasaurus and anzu hopefully soon reveal the akylosaurus and that the next revelations are styracosaurus or centrosaurus, argentinosaurus or alamosaurus and that surprise us with more models

Irritation

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on October 22, 2017, 02:21:42 AM
I really like amargasaurus and anzu hopefully soon reveal the akylosaurus and that the next revelations are styracosaurus or centrosaurus, argentinosaurus or alamosaurus and that surprise us with more models
And as maybe a bonus, a Hyaenodon.

Neosodon

Quote from: Sim on October 22, 2017, 12:42:34 AM
I don't think Safari currently has plans to release an Amargasaurus of similar size to the Carnegie and Battat versions.  After all, for 2017 they released a Tylosaurus figure and a huge Kronosaurus figure that's much bigger than the Tylosaurus, even though Tylosaurus grew larger than Kronosaurus.  I wonder if something similar will happen this year, they release a huge Amargasaurus figure and a smaller figure of... a titanosaur that grew larger than Amargasaurus.  Or would that be too horrible to be possible?  ;)
Oh gosh! I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully you haven't jinxed us.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

tanystropheus

Quote from: Neosodon on October 22, 2017, 05:30:39 AM

This reminds me of Tyco's Dino Riders...when they released a Brontosaurus that was significantly larger than the Diplodocus. I found it quite frustrating, but lived with it.

Reptilia

Weren't Tyco's Brontosaurus and Diplodocus the same sculpt, just in different size?

John

Quote from: Reptilia on October 22, 2017, 02:49:49 PM
Weren't Tyco's Brontosaurus and Diplodocus the same sculpt, just in different size?
The original catalog pictures of the Brontosaurus was just the Diplodocus sculpt painted in a different color.But the one that was released ended up being a much larger and different sculpt.
It feels like there should be a Family Guy cutaway gag here now that toys based on an 80's cartoon series has been referenced... :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Reptilia

A friend of mine had one that was huge, I don't know which of the two. Perhaps it seemed huge only because I was a child.

Sim

Hehe!  If it were possible for me to jinx it, you could have jinxed it now too. :D  Seriously though, I don't think what's said in this thread will cause the other Safari sauropod's size to change, especially since it appears to have already been made as shown by the silhouette and the photo of its limbs.

Shonisaurus

Equally the titanosaurus of Safari is the size of sauropodo huanghetitan of vinyl of the series PNSO. You may be imitating in size Safari to PNSO dinosaurs vinyl large size, but in version of PVC material. I would not be surprised as the competition in toy companies is getting stronger every day.

In fact the American mammoth (American mastodon) of Safari is so large, but more bulky than the mammoth trogontherii of Eofauna. I guess Safari increases its size due to competition from other brands. In a way before the prehistoric mammals of Safari were small, it might be that the Safari company has thrived. In fact they are already marketed here in European physical stores which indicates that this company is doing well.

If I used to make small prehistoric animals and dinosaurs little I suppose it would be because of the long economic crisis at a global level that also affected the collecting and toy industry, so now they are already recovering when it seems that or at least there are tangible signs of recovery in all economic sectors. I think that's why Safari used to make prehistoric animals of medium or small size.

alexeratops

I'm a bit late, but wow do these look interesting!
The Anzu is lovely, I love the striking and shiny emerald green color and the blue feathers along the arms and tail. Definitely getting this one!
If the Amargasaurus had its mouth closed (lips and all) I would like it more. Right now its teeth and head are... off-putting. Still looks nice in general.
like a bantha!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on October 22, 2017, 06:48:47 PM

Hehe!  If it were possible for me to jinx it, you could have jinxed it now too. :D  Seriously though, I don't think what's said in this thread will cause the other Safari sauropod's size to change, especially since it appears to have already been made as shown by the silhouette and the photo of its limbs.

AAUUGGHH, don't even say that! I'll be so mad if that happens! I needs mah giant titanosaur!!!!

Archosauria

Oh boy oh boy. I sure do hope that Safari's Titanosaur is about as big as the Psittacosaurus from last year.
It's the perfect size.
;)
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Joey

Quote from: Archosauria on October 22, 2017, 09:20:25 PM
Oh boy oh boy. I sure do hope that Safari's Titanosaur is about as big as the Psittacosaurus from last year.
It's the perfect size.
;)
Kaiyodo size  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: