News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Takama on October 21, 2017, 04:52:03 AM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on October 21, 2017, 04:42:34 AM
The Amargasaurus is a great sculpt, both artistically and anatomically.  I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the coloration, especially the face.  The size is also troubling, about half the size would have been much better, imho.  But maybe there's a reason for that, maybe there's an upcoming predator it's meant to scale with

I agree with this.

The Shunosaurus is there smallest Sauropod in the line, and it is dwarfed by this Amargasaurus which should be the same size.

Same issue happend with the Cacaradotosaurus and the 2017 Giganotosaurus. I honestly wished they would not made these figures so damn big, but everyone kept beggin them to make 'BIGGER MORE DETAILED"Figures when i thoght that the size they were made at prior to 2017 was perfect from the get go. I was hopeing the Amargasuarus would have matched the Carnegie model in size, but nope.  It dwarfs the Shunosaurus.

Yeah, I think the main thing is that there was clearly some sort of change in business practices between the 2016 in 2017 lines, or maybe before that.  We got overall better figures as a result, but size increased overall.  I don't think Safari has ever really had consistent scales, maybe they're starting to with these larger figures.  Roughly 1:35, 1:25, and 1:10?

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 21, 2017, 05:05:52 AM
It seems as if the sculptor that did the Diplo also did the Amarga. I'm really digging the sculptor's sauropod aesthetic. I bet he/she would make an awesome Mamenchi.

...but the Amarga isn't the sauropod pictured in the Safari Ltd. illustration (that sauropod has a prominent dewlap). Is there another sauropod coming out this year?

And I think the Anzu sculpture is probably the same as that of Microraptor.  Same person?

Yep, one more sauropod at least.  There was the clawless forelegs with tiger stripes that was teased.

Takama

Quote from: ZoPteryx on October 21, 2017, 05:18:48 AM
The Amargasaurus is a great sculpt, both artistically and anatomically.  I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the coloration, especially the face.  The size is also troubling, about half the size would have been much better, imho.  But maybe there's a reason for that, maybe there's an upcoming predator it's meant to scale with

I agree with this.

The Shunosaurus is there smallest Sauropod in the line, and it is dwarfed by this Amargasaurus which should be the same size.

Same issue happend with the Cacaradotosaurus and the 2017 Giganotosaurus. I honestly wished they would not made these figures so damn big, but everyone kept beggin them to make 'BIGGER MORE DETAILED"Figures when i thoght that the size they were made at prior to 2017 was perfect from the get go. I was hopeing the Amargasuarus would have matched the Carnegie model in size, but nope.  It dwarfs the Shunosaurus.

Yeah, I think the main thing is that there was clearly some sort of change in business practices between the 2016 in 2017 lines, or maybe before that.  We got overall better figures as a result, but size increased overall.  I don't think Safari has ever really had consistent scales, maybe they're starting to with these larger figures.  Roughly 1:35, 1:25, and 1:10?

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 21, 2017, 05:05:52 AM
It seems as if the sculptor that did the Diplo also did the Amarga. I'm really digging the sculptor's sauropod aesthetic. I bet he/she would make an awesome Mamenchi.

...but the Amarga isn't the sauropod pictured in the Safari Ltd. illustration (that sauropod has a prominent dewlap). Is there another sauropod coming out this year?

And I think the Anzu sculpture is probably the same as that of Microraptor.  Same person?

Yep, one more sauropod at least.  There was the clawless forelegs with tiger stripes that was teased.

The Scale was not Consistant, but the Size range was.   To an Extant.    The Brachiosaurus has always remained to be the largest dinosaur in the collection, and now we got a T.Rex that towers with it.   the only way i will be happy is if they make a new Brachiosaurus thats at least bigger then the 2017 Rex(Think latest Carnegie Collection model Sized)

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Takama on October 21, 2017, 05:26:39 AM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on October 21, 2017, 05:18:48 AM

I agree with this.

The Scale was not Consistant, but the Size range was.   To an Extant.    The Brachiosaurus has always remained to be the largest dinosaur in the collection, and now we got a T.Rex that towers with it.   the only way i will be happy is if they make a new Brachiosaurus thats at least bigger then the 2017 Rex(Think latest Carnegie Collection model Sized)

Maybe the remaining mystery sauropod can shed some light on their tactics, depending on how it scales with this year's Tyrannosaurus and Diplodocus.  Especially if it's one of the giant taxa.

Neosodon

I think safari is just making bigger figures so they can charge more money. Funny that safari started this pattern at the same time collecta is trying to make their figures smaller and better to scale. We will see who's business strategy works better. I don't see my hobby as a way to blow extra cash and fill up closet space so I'm behind collecta.

Well I'm over generalizing a bit. At least half or more of their recent figures aren't over sized. But it's really annoying to have to pass up on so many figures just because they're too big. Once collecta passes safari in sales hopefully safari will start to gravitate back toward the 1:40ish zone.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Vidusaurus

The new sculpts themselves look incredible, but the colouration (and to an extent the paint application on the Anzu) just looks unrealistic and cartoonish in my opinion. Unfortunately probably going to have to pass on these as I don't have the talent to repaint them myself or the money to pay someone to do it professionally.

Appalachiosaurus

I don't know why, but the Amargasaurus reminds me of Skeletor. Maybe it's the buff body with a tiny head and exposed teeth, the cartoonish color probably helps too.

Anzu on the other hand is fantastic, I may think about getting it when I start earning some money.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on October 21, 2017, 08:06:31 AM
I don't know why, but the Amargasaurus reminds me of Skeletor. Maybe it's the buff body with a tiny head and exposed teeth, the cartoonish color probably helps too.

Anzu on the other hand is fantastic, I may think about getting it when I start earning some money.

That's because of the white highlights that are encircling the contours of the head. Also, the teeth are quite accentuated (which is a feature found in ...Skeletor) in a manner that resembles the neighing of the horse (similar to the CollectA's Amargasaurus). Carnegie Amargasaurus elicits seahorse type vibes. I think the Amargasaurus is supposed to be this fantastical and magical beast from the multiverse. Almost all Amarga artwork depictions have more than a passing resemblance to: (1) Horses (2) Ponies (3) Seahorses (4) Dragons and ...err...Skeletor. Papo will probably make the first 'realistic' (as in 'lifelike'...I don't want to get into that topic...so many threads devoted to that subject) Amargasaurus in toy form. In the meantime, let's hope PNSO releases their version. REBOR makes basic dinosaurs, so an Amarga by REBOR will probably not be released before 2022.

Concavenator

It seems the wait was worth!  ;D

I personally like these two models.

The Amargasaurus looks very different from all the other Amargasaurus models.I like its look,it is elegant and the colors,while not too exciting they look somehow good.However,what truly surprises me is the size.Not that I necessarily want my models to be in scale,but,as was pointed out before,two years ago,we got a Shunosaurus that,while I liked the figure itself,I wouldn't get it because it was too small for my taste.
And now we have an Amargasaurus (which was around the size of Shunosaurus ) and rivals the Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus.I like relatively big dinosaur figures,but the size of this is too much.
Even in 2012,some people complained that the Brachiosaurus resculpt was too small.  ::)
That's not to say I dislike the model,I like it but the issue is clear.

The Anzu,on the other hand,is just stunning .I can't spot a single inaccuracy.And the figure is wonderful,the feathering detail is intricate and the color scheme is awesome,it reminds me of some kind of exotic duck.
Not much to say about it.

What also calls my attention is that they are already available,they keep releasing them sooner.

PD :The Anzu's sculpting style reminds me of last year's Microraptor.Perhaps it was the same person who sculpted it.

John

Quote from: Neosodon on October 21, 2017, 06:38:46 AM
I think safari is just making bigger figures so they can charge more money. Funny that safari started this pattern at the same time collecta is trying to make their figures smaller and better to scale. We will see who's business strategy works better. I don't see my hobby as a way to blow extra cash and fill up closet space so I'm behind collecta.

Well I'm over generalizing a bit. At least half or more of their recent figures aren't over sized. But it's really annoying to have to pass up on so many figures just because they're too big. Once collecta passes safari in sales hopefully safari will start to gravitate back toward the 1:40ish zone.
Nope,Safari is making bigger figures because people like me want them that way.And CollectA aren't making things smaller for fans so much as they are making things that are cheaper to produce! :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

MLMjp

A bit late to the party here..

Finally, we have something!

I really like the amargasaurus sculpt, it has a very smooth detail and a nice fat rounded body. Colors are...ok, but a different shade of green would have worked better.....And the size...damn it! 40 cm?! That too big Safari! Sorry but I have to pass.

Anzu on the other hand looks pretty cool, but it also would benefit from a different color shade....but it is not the end of the world. Another candidate for my non-to-scale collection. ^-^

Regarding all of this scale discussion...Honestly I think that safari should do like carnegie did, and release its models in a consistent scale (like 1:40 o 1:35) and a bigger scale for the smaller creadores....Is not about getting bigger figures...is about getting a consisten size range in the scale most people are used to.

Jose S.M.

About the size, we can view this Amargasaurus like some kind of  Deluxe model, like last year's CollectA Styracosaurus that's really huge and out of scale with other figures. Also the species that are more problematic are sauropods, if you look at other groups most are on the 1:30-1:40 scale range but big 25+ meters sauropods can get really huge in those scales, especially 1:30-1:35, so they are in 1:50 approximate.
Of course some figures are different in scale like the ones of smaller species, and the Carcharodontosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus, I would suggest them that for now on the stick to 1:40-1:35 for their giant theropods so they look good with Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: John on October 21, 2017, 11:15:52 AM
Quote from: Neosodon on October 21, 2017, 06:38:46 AM

Nope,Safari is making bigger figures because people like me want them that way.And CollectA aren't making things smaller for fans so much as they are making things that are cheaper to produce! :)

Collecta has made huge figures even bigger than most toy companies, this year's dimorphodon, and you can not forget the deinocheirus and kronosaurus (as big and majestic as the Safari). On the other hand the basilosaurus that is not made to scale and is XL is as long as any deluxe figure of Collecta, almost as long as the gigantic dimorphodon.

I agree and respect that figures are not made to scale, but I honestly like dinosaur toys paleontologically well done but I like that they do not have a certain scale. I am glad that a big amargasaurus of 40 centimeters has been made and although it is true that it has certain similarities with that of Collecta I think it is better than this one (independently that it is one of my beloved dinosaurs by Collecta.

The amargasaurus Safari is more realistic than the Collecta and better proportioned.

As for the anzu I see that it is super-detailed and very, very nice a great figure.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on October 21, 2017, 01:59:27 PM
About the size, we can view this Amargasaurus like some kind of  Deluxe model, like last year's CollectA Styracosaurus that's really huge and out of scale with other figures. Also the species that are more problematic are sauropods, if you look at other groups most are on the 1:30-1:40 scale range but big 25+ meters sauropods can get really huge in those scales, especially 1:30-1:35, so they are in 1:50 approximate.
Of course some figures are different in scale like the ones of smaller species, and the Carcharodontosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus, I would suggest them that for now on the stick to 1:40-1:35 for their giant theropods so they look good with Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.

Of course, this is only a concern for collectors, and only some of them at that. Most children, to whom these toys are marketed at, find scale irrelevant.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

amargasaurus cazaui

Myself, I like the larger size in the figure....I came to the terms a long time ago with the concept that if you collect sauropods, the size range in the models, as well as scale would be all over the place, that is just how it is. Dinotales tiny Brachiosaurus is amazing, and sits on the same long shelf I have that has in the deep background massive figures like Bob Morales' massive Brachiosaurus and the Horizon model from Jurassic park and the massiv Horizon Apatosaurus. Favorite, Collecta standard and Deluxe, Carnegie, Marx, Invicta, Favorite Desktop models, they are all over the place for scale and size. The question for me always comes to...is the price fair for the model, its size, and sculpt....and it does not seem like the Amargasaurus is unduly expensive, so I will find the room, I will put it on the shelf, and if its colors are unique, its sculpt slightly different it just blends into the massive group.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Now that I know how big the Amargasaurus is, I'm even less inclined to get it. Already have the versions from Carnegie and Battat anyway.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I love large figures, even if it's fun to have things in scale, for me it isn't worth sacrificing detail. I'm not bothered by having a trilobite the same size as a tyrannosaur if that means I get a nicely detailed trilobite.

suspsy

For me, it's largely a question of budgeting and space. I can only allow for so many big figs these days. If I'm going to get a new one, it has to be one I really like.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM
Now that I know how big the Amargasaurus is, I'm even less inclined to get it. Already have the versions from Carnegie and Battat anyway.

I passed on the Carnegie Amarga. So it seems that the large (and, extra large) WS and PNSO versions are my best bet. I was considering the CollectA version for some time, but something seemed off.

Bokisaurus

Well, nice to see a new Amarga... I like the new figure, mostly. However, that head paint scheme is just off, it makes it look like a skull! Maybe if the outlining was a different color instead of white/gray.
And yes the teeth seems a bit exposed and lip way too high ;D
Overall, nice figures. Now, we down to just the other sauropod and ceratopsian then for prehistoric? Oh, the hyeanodon  ;)

Irritation

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 21, 2017, 09:07:41 PM
Well, nice to see a new Amarga... I like the new figure, mostly. However, that head paint scheme is just off, it makes it look like a skull! Maybe if the outlining was a different color instead of white/gray.
And yes the teeth seems a bit exposed and lip way too high ;D
Overall, nice figures. Now, we down to just the other sauropod and ceratopsian then for prehistoric? Oh, the hyeanodon  ;)
And the Ankylosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: