News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Aw... Was hoping the eye would've been something Permian. Oh well, it's okay Estemmenosuchus, you will get the spotlight... eventually.

The Uintatherium looks much more natural than CollectA's interpretation of the animal, and a closed mouth on a prehistoric figure for once. I am rather fond of it's relaxed pose.
CollectA's Megacerops is much better than the Safari one though, the pose is very rigid on this one.
The Regaliceratops and Ankylosaurus is a decent additions, it's a pass for me though.

Shonisaurus

We sincerely need an estemmenosuchus. I call it by its appearance the samurai of the Permian animals and specifying more of the crocodiles.

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 03, 2017, 08:13:27 PM
We sincerely need an estemmenosuchus. I call it by its appearance the samurai of the Permian animals and specifying more of the crocodiles.

Estemmenosuchus isn't even close to being a crocodile.  It's a synapsid, a member of the group that includes mammals.

Reptilia

Maybe he simply didn't mean it literelly but was just referring to the suffix "suchus" in the animal's name. Great definition Shonisaurus, Estemmenosuchus really resemble a samurai, never thought about it.

Had a better look at the newly revealed Safaris, and I think I don't like the Megacerops at all now. Too simplistic interpretation, they basically made a rhino with a bifurcated blunted horn, not appealing at all. The Uintatherium is nice but I don't like the big texturing all over the body, should have been smoother in my opinion. I like a lot the corn snake though.

Faelrin

I was playing with the tag search for the Dinosaur Toys page on their website and noticed the Ankylosaurus shows up under the new Reptiles tag. I wonder if it is a placeholder and the marine reptiles and pterosaurs are being moved there. Seems a bit odd right now though. It would be nice to see the older mammals added to the Mammal tag too since all the new ones show up there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PhilSauria

These reveals all happened overnight to us here in Australia so I am just now checking them out, and the reactions to them. I must say that I was surprised to see more releases covering species currently produced by Collecta. These are fine reconstructions but I tend to favour Collecta's more naturalistic treatment of their prehistoric mammals so probably won't add these, though I do like the classic look of the Megacerops. Ankylosaur and Regaliceratops are a must have, but as sauropods form a major part of my collection I am really hanging out for a reveal of that other Sauropod, and hopefully one of two more surprises.

Joey

Yeah, i'll stick to my Carnegie Ankylosaurus  :-\

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 03, 2017, 07:08:24 PM
The first images wing is from the peregrine falcon shown in the video.

and the bird foot on the green knoll was a domestic fowl, as you and I both suspected!  ^-^

MLMjp

With the ankylosaurus officially confirmed I can say that my opinion of it has not change, is is a very nice representation of Ankylosaurus although the armor placement maybe a little bit inaccurate according to the proposed armor arrangement of the new study about ankylosaurus:

But it´s not Mr. Watson´s fault, the figure was made long before that paper was published. Still, probably the best Ankylosaurus figure to date.

Regaliceratops.....not my cup of tea, I don't like the colors. I would take the Collecta Regaliceratops from last year over this one.

So that leaves only the orange sauropod, which I hope is in a scale close to 1:40, otherwise I will not be getting it, and unless safari has another surprise for us (And by that I mean another dinosaur) Then I will say that this will be a weak year for Safari, which is dissaponting when compared to last year. Too many mammals that I don´t care about and only a few interesting dinos (Ankylosaurus, Anzu, we will see how the sauropod turns out...)

Brontozaurus

Ha, I went to bed after reading the specualation about when Safari would reveal their next figures, and bam! Four new figures in the morning.

The Anky looks pretty neat. The others don't really enthuse me that much; the CollectA versions just look more interesting. Plus I'm just not sure that reconstructing Megacerops and Uintatherium as basically rhinos with weird faces works.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Sim

Quote from: Reptilia on November 03, 2017, 09:22:40 PM
Maybe he simply didn't mean it literelly but was just referring to the suffix "suchus" in the animal's name. Great definition Shonisaurus, Estemmenosuchus really resemble a samurai, never thought about it.

Regarding the bolded part, I considered that but it wouldn't make sense since Estemmenosuchus doesn't look like a crocodile.

Pachyrhinosaurus

For those saying the CollectA versions are better-- I disagree. Especially in the megacerops, I'd say CollectA's looks relatively goofy (in the face) whereas this one has a much more serious look. It's all personal preference of course.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 04, 2017, 02:11:32 AM
For those saying the CollectA versions are better-- I disagree. Especially in the megacerops, I'd say CollectA's looks relatively goofy (in the face) whereas this one has a much more serious look. It's all personal preference of course.

I agree with you, I don't know why I thought the CollectA Megacerops was more detailed but I just look at it and found it no that much detailed except for the mane, which is speculative. I think that on the W.S the texture is not very deep and might be better appreciated in hand. Also I was looking at skeletons for Megacerops and Uintatherium and the figures looks like they make them justice, and comparing the skeleton photos of Megacerops to those of white rhinos I saw big resemblance. I like the Collecta version of Megacerops and Uintatherium, specially for adding the fur to them, but I like the Safari ones too, I think they are worthy competition.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wow! I wasn't expecting more prehistoric mammals! That's awesome! ...except for the fact that these are ALSO not 1:40 scale. I guess I'm just going to have to give up on the hope that I will ever find any more toys in scale with my older Safari prehistoric mammals.  :'(

Oh well. If the scale is at least consistent from here on out, I guess maybe I can make the switch. I really like the design of the prehistoric mammal figures this year. Well, the Uintatherium is just ok. I've always suspected that such a primitive mammal would have looked less rhino-like than we tend to think, so I like the Collecta one a little better for its fuzzier appearance. Some have criticized the Megacerops as having a boring pose, but it looks to me like it's been ripped right out of a Zdenek Burian painting, so I can't help but love it for that!

ZoPteryx

Wow, Safari's really going all in on the paleo-mammals!

I really like the Uintatherium.  The calm natural pose is pleasing and I think the head design is a bit more accurate than CollectA's version, especially with respect to soft tissue on the "horns".  That said, I find the furry covering of the CollectA version a bit more plausible, seeing as this was an animal of humid forests.

The Megacerops is also really good.  Once, again I think the head shape and also the overall proportions are better than the Mojo and CollectA versions.  Really digging those neck folds!  I think the figure would have benefited from a less monotone color scheme, though.  Nothing too fancy, but maybe some patterning on the head and crest seeing as it's mostly a display structure.  Perhaps some countershading seeing as this was animal of open environments.

The Regaliceratops is yet another winner for Safari's "Ceratopsian Winners Circle"!  ^-^  No anatomically complaints, and I like the color scheme for the most part, although the light colored horns and beak are a little distracting.

And finally, the Ankylosaurus.  As I mentioned elsewhere, I regard it as narrowly the best one of its kind available.  I will certainly be getting it at some point, along with all the rest of these!

So that just leaves the mystery sauropod and the probable Hyaenodon, which would bring our total up to ten.  Bit odd there's no toothy theropod, maybe they still have a few surprises left!  O:-)

Joey

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 04, 2017, 02:11:32 AM
I completely agree, and to add on the Collecta Megacerops looks like it's charging to hit an enemy. But the Safari version looks calm and is in a more neutral position.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on November 03, 2017, 01:30:47 PM
It´s a great year for collectors of prehistoric mammals. Sadly, I´m not one of them and the Regaliceratops and the Amargasaurus just don´t look appealing to me. I really hope Safari has some surprises in store.

Why? The Regaliceratops looks positively regal.
And, the Amargasaurus looks amargazing. Sorry, I couldn't...

PumperKrickel

deleted

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 04, 2017, 06:38:46 AM
Quote from: SuperiorSpider on November 03, 2017, 01:30:47 PM
It´s a great year for collectors of prehistoric mammals. Sadly, I´m not one of them and the Regaliceratops and the Amargasaurus just don´t look appealing to me. I really hope Safari has some surprises in store.

Why? The Regaliceratops looks positively regal.
And, the Amargasaurus looks amargazing. Sorry, I couldn't...

I agree with you tantrofio I really like the regaliceratops (I do not know why there is so much animosity to this figure among the members of the forum) it seems to me a fantastic and well detailed figure. As far as the amargasaurus I like very much in everything even in the size the bigger a figure, within certain limits (for the economic problem) it is usually more detailed and in this case the amargasaurus Safari is detailed to the maximum.

By the way, I'd like to know if Doug Watson is involved in any of the four Safari figures that came out this week.

On the other hand now we will have to wait another two weeks to learn about Safari.

Concavenator

Oh,finally they revealed again!  ;D

I was expecting,from the teasers,that the ceratopsian would be Styracosaurus,but I'm glad it was Regaliceratops instead.I personally find the recently discovered dinosaurs to be far more interesting than the old,classic ones.Regaliceratops is a fantastic choice,and it looks striking,I like it more than last year's Einiosaurus and looks to be on par,if not better,than their Nasutoceratops.I guess Doug sculpted this one.

The Ankylosaurus looks very neat too,it may be the best one available,though it probably is a pass for me since I rarely am interested in ankylosaurs.

And the mammals look nice,though I'm not any mammal expert,but I can tell CollectA's mammals are  way better,with the exception of probably the Daeodon.

So far for me,the gems are the Anzu and the Regaliceratops

Now,will we have to wait another 2 weeks till more are revealed?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: