News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I'm so excited about the Triceratops that I went to safari website to order it and it says coming soon, that was sad hahaha. But in all seriousness I really love it and it was such a nice surprise,  after the Regaliceratops I wasn't expecting a ceratopsian.
And my figures from safari should be arriving today in the afternoon or tomorrow morning, I can't wait!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 14, 2017, 04:48:09 PM
So is this all of them?  I ask because i was waiting to order til all were released.

That is all I did but I can't speak for any other artists.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 14, 2017, 03:22:30 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2017, 03:02:15 PM
That said, this figure will certainly be the definitive Triceratops in my collection. I'm curious, Doug: did you consider at any point adding spiky osteoderms in the manner of the restorations by Mark Witton, or was that too speculative in your view?

To tell the truth to me T. prorsus can look a little derpy with that elongated snout so I chose the one with a more robust look.

Fair enough. I like T. prorsus precisely because it looks so derpy.

QuoteI looked into all the theories on the nipples and I decided to steer away from conjecture and show what we actually know.

P.S. If I had made little spikes like that they would have been blunted by the factory for child safety.

Yes, that is probably true. On that note, I was comparing my two WS T. rex figures the other night and it's strange how the 2011 version got away with having bigger, sharper teeth than the 2017. Perhaps safety standards were tightened sometime between the two releases.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Nanuqsaurus

Really happy with these announcements! :D They look great, but that was to be expected from Safari. I'm really glad they got a new Triceratops, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on November 14, 2017, 05:41:34 PM
@Doug : Did you consult for the Triceratops? I must say it looks somehow different than what I'm used to, but that may be because it is very accurate. I personally find it majestic, and that coloration makes it look more intimidating.

No I winged that one on my own but luckily the images and some description of the Lane skin impressions were public so I was able to incorporate those details. That specimen was also identified as T. horridus so that also helped in deciding the species to do.

Bokisaurus

Wow, impressive new additions to the 2018 Collection! I'm really surprised (very happy) by the high number of prehistoric mammals they are releasing next year, it half the number. I guess being free of the Carnegie contract was really good for Safari.
That sauropod is awesome, but just like the Amarga, what is up with this years sauropods having that odd skeletal pain scheme on their faces? Just looks odd to me.
It's great that Safari is building up their Collection, after all they have to replace the old top selling Carnegie line. I expect the trend of high number of figure will continue for a couple of years, they back to more conservative once they fill all of the void.
Was surprised me the most is the lack of meat eater in the dino world, wow! ;D

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 14, 2017, 02:53:14 PM
Quote from: Sim on November 14, 2017, 02:37:18 PM
Doug, I'm curious about why the osteoderms on the Wild Safari Ankylosaurus are painted brown only on top and not underneath?  Is it how you chose the osteoderm colouration to look, or could it be a painting error from the factory?

Been so long I had to go back and check my images of my prototypes. That is how I painted them no other reason than why not.

Thanks for your response.

ItsTwentyBelow

Some awesome additions to the Safari lineup here!

Malawisaurus is super impressive, and I'm happy that it will be in roughly 1:40 scale.

Great to see even more mammals! Safari has really opened the flood gates.

All look nice, among the best examples we have of these species.

IrritatorRaji

That Malawisaurus looks amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Shonisaurus

This year, from what I observe in Safari, Collecta and Papo have focused practically on herbivorous dinosaurs.

As far as Safari is concerned, it seems to me very well that this year they have only made herbivorous dinosaurs and that they have focused so much on the Cenozoic era and also on the Paleozoic (dimetrodon) so brilliantly. Sincerely these prehistoric mammals are going to set a high bar to the companies of the competition especially to Collecta.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 14, 2017, 08:41:42 PM
This year, from what I observe in Safari, Collecta and Papo have focused practically on herbivorous dinosaurs.

Possibly, also REBOR, now that they got the raptor craze out of their system...

Simon

Quote from: Takama on November 14, 2017, 04:23:58 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 14, 2017, 04:13:11 PM
Of this batch, I was consulted on the Anzu, Amargasaurus and Malawisaurus. It was an honour, as always. I didn't have any input on the scale or colouration of the models. One of these days I might ask Safari Ltd for permission to write an illustrated blog post about the process, I've been meaning to do so ever since I helped Doug with the Liopleurodon, years ago.

BTW, to answer a question from earlier in this thread, the Anzu was intentionally posed so that it is supported by one of its wings.

Once again, a wonderful lineup from Safari Ltd. We are being spoiled!

DR Admin, can you tel me why the Malawisaurus looks less like the Skeletal by Scott Hartman?

Perhaps Hartman's reconstruction has ramped up the angle of the neck a bit too much.  I think that there is a very valid school of thought that the angle of the neck should pretty much be an extension of the spine - if you lower the angle of the neck in Hartman's skeletal to achieve that angle, I think you'll find its pretty close to the Safari figure ....

Halichoeres

As far as I can tell all the claims about synapsid skin come from a single 1968 paper on Estemmenosuchus by a Soviet paleontologist named Chudinov. Again, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has examined the remains in question and published on them since. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The earliest synapsids we have impressions for seem to show scales, more analogous to those on crocodiles than those on lizards (the latter are pretty highly derived). It's worth remembering that tetrapods, and probably also amniotes, are primitively scaly, so anything other than scales represents an innovation (even today's amphibians had scaly-ish ancestors).

As for Dimetrodon, it sits squarely between these primitive scaly synapsids and Estemmenosuchus. I'm not sure why everyone accepts Chudinov's interpretation uncritically when, in the same paper, he claims that it is related to Ichthyosaurus based on its skin impressions (NB: I too have been guilty of parroting it). The remains are, moreover, only from the head. After reading the paper, I think the description therein is definitely consistent with glandular skin, but it's hard to completely rule out other integuments. For Dimetrodon, I tend to agree that the most parsimonious interpretation is scales of some sort, until and unless A) the Estemmenosuchus material is re-examined in a phylogenetically explicit way or B) we find additional skin impressions of Permian stem-mammals.

My two cents, with the caveat that I'm no expert on synapsids.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

alexeratops

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 14, 2017, 06:18:01 AM
Quote from: alexeratops on November 14, 2017, 03:13:20 AM
Wouldn't it just be dandy if the new Triceratops was in the same scale as our lovely feathered Tyrannosaurus by Safari?

They are both in 1:35 scale.

Oh. The stock photo makes the Trike seem about the size of most of the other ceratopsians by Doug in the past few years, but then again, maybe I have just forgotten how big a Triceratops was compared to a Tyrannosaurus.
like a bantha!

Dromaenychus

The Amargasaurus is fantastic! Buuuut, I can't leave well enough alone and had to fix the head. The color is a bit off, but I'll do a yellow wash to adjust it.

It's a great sculpt!

Simon

I just perused the Safari Ltd home page to see the different angles of the critters.  I must say that this THE best one-year crop of critters that any company has ever released.

Magnificent!!  (The only sad exception is the oddly shaped and proportioned Amargasaurus, but hey, everyone's entitled to a "miss" once in a while...)

Faelrin

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 15, 2017, 12:13:59 AM
As far as I can tell all the claims about synapsid skin come from a single 1968 paper on Estemmenosuchus by a Soviet paleontologist named Chudinov. Again, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has examined the remains in question and published on them since. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The earliest synapsids we have impressions for seem to show scales, more analogous to those on crocodiles than those on lizards (the latter are pretty highly derived). It's worth remembering that tetrapods, and probably also amniotes, are primitively scaly, so anything other than scales represents an innovation (even today's amphibians had scaly-ish ancestors).

As for Dimetrodon, it sits squarely between these primitive scaly synapsids and Estemmenosuchus. I'm not sure why everyone accepts Chudinov's interpretation uncritically when, in the same paper, he claims that it is related to Ichthyosaurus based on its skin impressions (NB: I too have been guilty of parroting it). The remains are, moreover, only from the head. After reading the paper, I think the description therein is definitely consistent with glandular skin, but it's hard to completely rule out other integuments. For Dimetrodon, I tend to agree that the most parsimonious interpretation is scales of some sort, until and unless A) the Estemmenosuchus material is re-examined in a phylogenetically explicit way or B) we find additional skin impressions of Permian stem-mammals.

My two cents, with the caveat that I'm no expert on synapsids.

Thanks for all this information. I guess I was wrong in a lot of places with my other post on this matter. I was not aware that there were synapsids found with skin impressions, and scales to boot. Is there anything I can read up on or check out these impressions found? I'm really curious now. In any case I suppose I'll accept the scaly Dimetrodon more then I did before.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Simon on November 15, 2017, 01:19:47 AM
I just perused the Safari Ltd home page to see the different angles of the critters.  I must say that this THE best one-year crop of critters that any company has ever released.

Magnificent!!  (The only sad exception is the oddly shaped and proportioned Amargasaurus, but hey, everyone's entitled to a "miss" once in a while...)

I assure you, the shape and proportions are perfect. Amargasaurus was oddly shaped and proportioned.  ;) You don't have to like it, though.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Simon on November 14, 2017, 10:12:16 PM
Quote from: Takama on November 14, 2017, 04:23:58 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 14, 2017, 04:13:11 PM
Of this batch, I was consulted on the Anzu, Amargasaurus and Malawisaurus. It was an honour, as always. I didn't have any input on the scale or colouration of the models. One of these days I might ask Safari Ltd for permission to write an illustrated blog post about the process, I've been meaning to do so ever since I helped Doug with the Liopleurodon, years ago.

BTW, to answer a question from earlier in this thread, the Anzu was intentionally posed so that it is supported by one of its wings.

Once again, a wonderful lineup from Safari Ltd. We are being spoiled!

DR Admin, can you tel me why the Malawisaurus looks less like the Skeletal by Scott Hartman?

Perhaps Hartman's reconstruction has ramped up the angle of the neck a bit too much.  I think that there is a very valid school of thought that the angle of the neck should pretty much be an extension of the spine - if you lower the angle of the neck in Hartman's skeletal to achieve that angle, I think you'll find its pretty close to the Safari figure ....

Yeah, the pose makes it look different.

tanystropheus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 15, 2017, 03:35:55 AM
Quote from: Simon on November 15, 2017, 01:19:47 AM

I assure you, the shape and proportions are perfect. Amargasaurus was oddly shaped and proportioned.  ;) You don't have to like it, though.

Exactly. It's strange that folks here don't seem to understand or want to understand what an Amarga is supposed to look like. I'm not even from a Paleo background but it is pretty obvious to me that the Safari model matches with known skeletal restorations.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: