News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Thank you Minminima for passing this video of Rupi Bolz is fabulous. My opinion on the figures according to the new video is as follows.

The acrocanthosaurus leaves much more favored with this new touch of painting that with its old "look" for what makes it very attractive is my favorite carnivorous theropod of Papo with tyrannosaurus and spinosaurus.

Therizinosaurus is still my favorite Papo figure this year along with Quetzalcoatlus and Acrocanthosaurus of the same brand. Independently that I am not in favor of the articulated jaws in this case you do not notice the seams. It is for me the best therizinosaurus made by any company to date as I have already mentioned, surpassing that of other companies from my point of view.

The iguanodon is favored but it hurts the articulated jaw, the seams are very visible and what gives me the impression is that due to this characteristic it is prone as all the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals such as articulated jaws to the jaw itself. being very careful as is my case. The size is obviously small and I honestly stay with other figures from other companies. The iguanodon of Papo is good and nice but as I said it is a secondary actor along with the compsognathus within the Papo figures of 2018.

Syndicate Bias

Well how long were people asking for an iguanodon now? Now its here, hopefully the same story goes over to a papo Giganotosaurus

Minmiminime

Oh...wow! It's so pretty :)) I'm glad I held out on getting the original, now. Looking at these, it certainly seems that they're experimenting and upping the ante with the subtlety and intricacy of their paint schemes. Makes me wonder how long it'll be before they re-release the Baryonyx...I suspect that's one which may have benefitted from the rainbow scheme they've been so fond of
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Syndicate Bias

Im.glad i got both the rainbow and rhe rebor acrocanthosaurus. Now with this one i can compare all three

Jose S.M.

I really really like the new Acro's look. Lucky for me when I tried to buy the original from dejankins the mail bounced and I didn't noticed for like a month, by then this new one was already announced.

Shonisaurus

Here is an individualized video of the therizinosaurus by Rupi Bolz comes in German,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubfugSSBxjs

I do not understand anything about German but it looks magnificent. A work of art. The best therizinosaurus made by a toy company from my point of view.

RobinGoodfellow

First wave of 2018 Paposaurus available at Urzeitshop:

https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/64-Papo

:)

Minmiminime

What an absolute masterpiece that Theri is 😍  The detail is amazing enough, but the fluidity of it makes it all the more realistic. Little incidental details like those coarse scales along the border of the belly seem well-considered, as though Mr Seo has thought about how this animal lived and the challenges it's size would pose. No, it's not entirely accurate, but wow
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Mini Minmi

I think that's why the short claws (and the strange feathering to a point but strangely less) annoy me so much. This figure has so much to love artistically speaking, I find the smaller the details the more frustrating they are because you got so close to perfection.  :P

I know myself, I'll buy it anyway. It still has a lot of qualities.

Minmiminime

That's Papo in a nutshell..! If only they'd do some decent background research, rather than just finding some art online or elsewhere that they like, and stylising it a bit ::) It's so obvious that the sculptor understands living animals, but the "dinosaurs" and other prehistoric animals that are produced are highly artistic charicatures at best. They are perennially frustrating, yet so addictive because they're (usually) just so right, despite being utterly wrong. They drive me insane because of it, it's very much a love/hate relationship. I guess they have to tread that fine line between trying to produce models that will appeal to the general masses, and those which are actually realistic and appeal to collectors and aficionados. Their redemption to me is the sheer artistry and effort that goes in, no other company comes close..!

Reptilia

That Therizinosaurus is a serious contender for best Papo figure ever, it is just amazing. And the following picture from Urzeitshop sold me on the Iguanodon:

I know that I'm a bit easy to change my mind, but as I said before the model is fantastic in all other aspects, and from this angle the articulated jaw doesn't look that much distracting. Gonna display it that way, next to the Baryonyx, of course.

On the Acrocanthosaurus: no contest at all between 2018 and 2017, the "rainbow" one is a joke in comparison with the masterfully painted new version.

Syndicate Bias

Lets face it. Better get them before the paint quality suffers over the years like the allo

Shonisaurus

About the iguanodon of Papo I think a great figure is for me remarkable but not outstanding in this case, in the sense that it spoils the figure a lot its articulated jaw is too many seams, otherwise a very good figure with some pretty paint colors conservatives (I am more in favor of those colors of paint and I like the color tones that usually put on almost all their figures of prehistoric animals Papo).

The only defect is the jaw that when articulated gives me the impression that it gives of itself even if you are careful. I honestly have something clear when it comes to buying the iguanodon from Papo and I'm going to leave that jaw closed, I'm not going to touch it at all. That is one of my reasons why I am not in favor of articulated jaws, but it must be recognized that other figures such as Archeopteryx, Dimorphodon and even Papo's acrocanthosaurus and therizinosaurus fortunately do not have or will not have that problem.

The iguanodon is a remarkable but not exceptional figure like others of this year by the company Papo. He is a secondary actor in the figures of Papo this year.

Jose S.M.

Detail wise the Therizinosaurus looks beautiful but I still don't like the pose, I will probably get it eventually but it's not in my priorities.

Reptilia

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 04, 2018, 10:39:57 PM
Lets face it. Better get them before the paint quality suffers over the years like the allo

That's why I just contacted Miron at Urzeitshop to grab them!  ;D

The Atroxious

Quote from: Minmiminime on May 04, 2018, 09:15:56 PM
What an absolute masterpiece that Theri is 😍  The detail is amazing enough, but the fluidity of it makes it all the more realistic. Little incidental details like those coarse scales along the border of the belly seem well-considered, as though Mr Seo has thought about how this animal lived and the challenges it's size would pose. No, it's not entirely accurate, but wow

I agree. Despite its issues, it feels believable somehow. Yeah, I would have preferred more feathering, and the teeth in the premaxilla actually bother me quite a bit, but it's still a great figure. I'm just impressed with how birdlike it looks, which was my biggest concern when it came to Papo making a Therizinosaurus.

I can't wait until it comes out. It'll be the perfect partner in crime to my Papo Allosaurus.

Atokensis

These were posted on the a papo dinosaur fan facebook group.

Faelrin

I hope I can get these by the end of this year. They look so good. I definitely want the Acrocanthosaurus first, and the Therizinosaurus second. That Iguanodon is kind of growing on me too. I guess it just needs be displayed at the right angle to hide the seam line the mouth articulation has.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Minmiminime

My Twitter friend just sent me a picture of the Tiptoi, Schleich, CollectA and Papo Therizinosaurus together. I showed to my other half and asked him if he noticed anything odd, and displayed like that the claw issue with the Papo was immediately obvious to him.

Oh, Papo. How do you manage it?! 😹 Maybe they got distracted by trying to emphasize the other peculiar proportions

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: