News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Minmiminime on May 04, 2018, 10:27:52 PM
That's Papo in a nutshell..! If only they'd do some decent background research, rather than just finding some art online or elsewhere that they like, and stylising it a bit ::) It's so obvious that the sculptor understands living animals, but the "dinosaurs" and other prehistoric animals that are produced are highly artistic charicatures at best. They are perennially frustrating, yet so addictive because they're (usually) just so right, despite being utterly wrong. They drive me insane because of it, it's very much a love/hate relationship. I guess they have to tread that fine line between trying to produce models that will appeal to the general masses, and those which are actually realistic and appeal to collectors and aficionados. Their redemption to me is the sheer artistry and effort that goes in, no other company comes close..!

I'm pretty sure Mr. Seo has done the research. They probably don't want kids stabbing themselves in the face and stuff (especially, since Papo uses more rigid material than CollectA).

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on May 04, 2018, 10:30:54 PM
That Therizinosaurus is a serious contender for best Papo figure ever, it is just amazing. And the following picture from Urzeitshop sold me on the Iguanodon:

Totally agree, and the Iguanodon is beautiful as well. Kind of reminds me of the Safari Gryposaruus.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Atokensis on May 04, 2018, 06:36:58 AM
Quote from: Reptilia on May 03, 2018, 09:21:24 PM
Because english is not my mother tongue I feel I don't have the proper words to describe how much I like the Acrocanthosaurus and (most of all) the Therizinosaurus. The Iguanodon though... superb sculpting detail as usual, phenomenal paint work, but that articulated jaw! Why Papo, why? I just can't unsee it, despite everything else in the figure seem to be perfect. Sadly I'm really inclined to give it a pass, but in just a couple of weeks I'll get my hands on the two magnificent theropods.

Yeah I've changed my mind on getting the Iguanodon because of that very seam. Might consider it later on though, just isn't part of my most wanted figures anymore.

The seam isn't that bad. With the advent of Creative Beast, and the rising popularity of Mattel's 2018 line up, most folks are becoming quite accustomed to seams.

Minmiminime

Maybe, but it didn't stop companies whose products are aimed directly at kids from getting the claws a more realistic size ::) The CollectA model is surprisingly rigid, and heavy to boot. There's little concession to safety in its design or material choice. I'm certain there's a good reason why the Papo has shortened claws, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Seams don't bother me too much, either ^-^ I can't wait until my BOTM turn up!

But I know that Papo will remain my favourite ;)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

PhilSauria

I was bit on the fence with the Therizinsaur figure but that video a few posts back has sold me - I'll be ordering one of these when they become available here. That level of detail is extraordinary!, and what we have come to expect from this company. Just makes the mediocre work on the Amargasaur look so bad. I have the Collecta Iguanodon and that pretty much ticks all of the boxes for me as far as this animal is concerned, but having seen the recent images of the Papo treatment of this species, especially with the mouth closed - I think I'll be placing an order for that one as well. The releases from the various brands this year really has me looking around my shelves and trying to find more space!

Reptilia

Let's be honest, this year Papo despite having released probably their worst single prehistoric figure so far (Amargasaurus) still managed to pull out one of their best line-ups ever. Not to mention that make of a repaint something so exciting (Acrocanthosaurus) is quite an achievement. The past year I didn't have problems to say that Collecta won the competition, and this year they're still on a top level with their offerings, but for 2018 Papo definitely knocked out all contenders, as far as I'm concerned.

Flaffy

This "therizinosaurus" is a disappointment to me. The 'scythe lizard' that lacks it's infamous scythes...
Hell, even Schleich and chinasaurs managed to give Theri its long claws, I thought Papo was all about emphasising certain traits of their dinosaurs.
It's a shame since they managed to make an under-feathered therizinosaurus look so good.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Reptilia on May 05, 2018, 11:49:30 AM
....... having released probably their worst single prehistoric figure so far (Amargasaurus) .......

I would say that award should go to their Tylosaurus :P ;D .

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, Papo's acrocanthosaurus is one of my favorite figures of this year. His painting details bring him close to the level of genius of other figures such as tyrannosaurus, spinosaurus, allosaurus and even the cryolophosaurus. It is seen that in the making of theropods Papo is one of the best dinosaur toy companies.

The therizinosaurus is a supernatural and very cool figure, gorgeus and awesome. Its details are fabulous you will notice every sculpted hair and feathers. The claws although some members of the forum say that they are short I think that is due to artistic licenses of the Papo brand have not done so to avoid accidents for children. For example Tiptoi and Schleich that are going to most of the figures for the little ones have outstanding claws. That does not mean that the figure of Papo's therizinosaurus excels over the rest of the companies, I even like it much more than the Collecta company, regardless of whether it's great or even more scientific, the details of Papo's therizinosaurus make that figure great. Even with the protruding belly make that figure a work of paleoart that exceeds in genius to the rest of the brands.  8)  8)  8)

The Iguanodon of Papo I like is remarkable as I have already commented its conservative colors make it outstanding, although it is not of a large size, but medium they make it a great figure the only mistake is the articulated jaw, which may be acceptable in a theropod but in a herbivore he really spoils it a lot. I sincerely like that there are companies that make dinosaurs with articulated jaws like Mattel, JP, Play Mobil or Lego for example, it's great that they have them, however I am a supporter that the classic dinosaur companies among them Papo will give up that kind of jaws since they belong to another toy philosophy from my point of view. Anyway, the iguanodon is a great figure and I do not discuss it.

Reptilia

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 05, 2018, 12:27:46 PM

Same sculptor, must be frustrating for him / her to have such poor feedbacks!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 05, 2018, 10:52:08 AM
That's Papo in a nutshell..! If only they'd do some decent background research, rather than just finding some art online or elsewhere that they like, and stylising it a bit ::) It's so obvious that the sculptor understands living animals, but the "dinosaurs" and other prehistoric animals that are produced are highly artistic charicatures at best. They are perennially frustrating, yet so addictive because they're (usually) just so right, despite being utterly wrong. They drive me insane because of it, it's very much a love/hate relationship. I guess they have to tread that fine line between trying to produce models that will appeal to the general masses, and those which are actually realistic and appeal to collectors and aficionados. Their redemption to me is the sheer artistry and effort that goes in, no other company comes close..!

I'm pretty sure Mr. Seo has done the research. They probably don't want kids stabbing themselves in the face and stuff (especially, since Papo uses more rigid material than CollectA).

I believe he admitted that he knows little to nothing about dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals, and just bases his  sculpts on what is popular and what he perceives to be believable. I know this because a Korean member contacted Seo and stated as such...

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 05, 2018, 12:30:08 PM
Sincerely, Papo's acrocanthosaurus is one of my favorite figures of this year. His painting details bring him close to the level of genius of other figures such as tyrannosaurus, spinosaurus, allosaurus and even the cryolophosaurus. It is seen that in the making of theropods Papo is one of the best dinosaur toy companies.

The therizinosaurus is a supernatural and very cool figure, gorgeus and awesome. Its details are fabulous you will notice every sculpted hair and feathers. The claws although some members of the forum say that they are short I think that is due to artistic licenses of the Papo brand have not done so to avoid accidents for children. For example Tiptoi and Schleich that are going to most of the figures for the little ones have outstanding claws. That does not mean that the figure of Papo's therizinosaurus excels over the rest of the companies, I even like it much more than the Collecta company, regardless of whether it's great or even more scientific, the details of Papo's therizinosaurus make that figure great. Even with the protruding belly make that figure a work of paleoart that exceeds in genius to the rest of the brands.  8)  8)  8)

The Iguanodon of Papo I like is remarkable as I have already commented its conservative colors make it outstanding, although it is not of a large size, but medium they make it a great figure the only mistake is the articulated jaw, which may be acceptable in a theropod but in a herbivore he really spoils it a lot. I sincerely like that there are companies that make dinosaurs with articulated jaws like Mattel, JP, Play Mobil or Lego for example, it's great that they have them, however I am a supporter that the classic dinosaur companies among them Papo will give up that kind of jaws since they belong to another toy philosophy from my point of view. Anyway, the iguanodon is a great figure and I do not discuss it.

I think papo making its herbivores articulated isn't too bad. At least its not like Rebor that essentially has gone from adult marketed models to toys that can not only open their jaws but pretty soon twist and bend their tails and necks and have articulated arms and legs.

Im not bashing rebor but after seeing their newer dinosaurs all i see is copy paste designs on them, too unnatural scaling compared to papos more organic look which the they have achieved drastically.  I dont know if mr.seo hand sculpts or digitally sculpts but its clear papo has a better grip on making less repetitive dinosaurs unlike rebor

That said i can't wait to see how the compy and quetzal turn out!

Shonisaurus

Syndicate Bias I do not say that it is bad or good that they make herbivorous dinosaurs with articulated mouths. I just commented that I do not like them without ceasing to be great for the company Papo and even for the company Rebor.

I do not want you and anyone else in the forum to be offended and the same can be said of the sculptors and paleoartists who work on the creations of prehistoric toy animals that make us happy equally, both adults (collectors) and the youngest are children

I just want to express my opinion. I do not consider myself anybody, or anything that tries to amend a toy company or a resin when it comes to having a philosophy of its own or licensing and artistic when making toy figures. It's as if I tried to amend the plan to paleo artists such as Raúl Martín, John Sibbick, James Kuether or Luis Rey, for example.

On the other hand, although I do not belong to this post, I really like Papo's philosophy more than Rebor's I agree with you (Rebor makes great figures but very articulated especially in his last announcements). But what is said, I'm not the one to give lessons to anyone and less to the dinosaur connoisseurs who are already inside the DTF (as you can be), whether they are the makers of both sculptors and paleo artists.

My desire is not to offend anyone, I only think from my intellectual ignorance in relation to paleontology.

Reptilia

Another Acrocanthosaurus video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irr8Wco5PkU

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 05, 2018, 02:17:09 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 05, 2018, 10:52:08 AM

I believe he admitted that he knows little to nothing about dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals, and just bases his  sculpts on what is popular and what he perceives to be believable. I know this because a Korean member contacted Seo and stated as such...

Wasn't that interview about the Giganoto research? If you think about it, it really doesn't even take research to get the Theri right. ALL known images of the Theri have massive claws. It must have been a decision made at the safety and compliance department. I have the first generation Theri from CollectA and the claws are pretty soft and malleable. First generation Papo dinosaurs were similar. The Triceratops horns were relatively soft when compared to the build of future dinosaur representations (Perhaps, why Papo chose to make a juvenile Triceratops with blunted horns rather than a remake). Papo now employs more durable, denser materials. The Ceratosaurus teeth are razor sharp but they are also minuscule, posing absolutely no safety hazard.

And, if Mr. Seo is as naive as we are led to believe, he is doing an impressive job as most Papos are about 80% accurate reconstructions.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on May 05, 2018, 12:32:08 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 05, 2018, 12:27:46 PM

Same sculptor, must be frustrating for him / her to have such poor feedbacks!

Maybe that sculptor never sees the feedback. Perhaps, imagines himself/herself on par with the primary sculptor  >:D

Reptilia

I don't think Mr Seo is that naive or uninformed, I believe that he intentionally chooses to reference material that can make his work more appealing from an artistic point of view, rather than a scientific one. If this is his choice, or done on company's request, we can't know. Then, if I remember correctly, in that famous interview he said he was studying the differences between Giganotosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, which by itself doesn't mean he's a complete ignorant on dinosaurs. Personally I'm fine with Mr Seo using art and pop culture depictions as references, he does the job pretty well and I still vastly prefer all of his output to other scientifically sound models from various competitors.

Shonisaurus

Honestly in my case every sculptor has his "spark" or his genius. For example Doug Watson makes scientific recreations and Seo is undoubtedly another great sculptor.

In my case I think that all comparisons are odious. Each dinosaur sculptor has his artistic philosophy as every paleoartist has, be it a painter or a sculptor.

I honestly do not care what the best sculptor is (I have one preferred) as long as his figures are beautiful and even masterpieces like Papo's therizinosaurus or Safari triceratops. I do not think the sculptor in question matters.

Syndicate Bias

Id like if mr.seo had finished his studies on the giganotosaurus already. I need more giganotosaurus figures.

Minmiminime

A review of the Acrocanthosaurus by Jurassic Collectibles. What a beauty!

https://youtu.be/_WvKbFzpI54
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: