News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Just finalized my order at Urzeitshop, got the Therizinosaurus, Iguanodon and Acrocanthosaurus, plus the cave bear as a bonus. Can't wait!

Mini Minmi

I'm still disappointed that I had just decided to cave in and bought the acrocanthosaurus regardless of it's rainbow paint which I didn't like when I learned about this year's repaint. D'oh! I can't really justify buying a second one of those on my budget so rainbow acro it will be. But man that repaint is worlds better in my opinion. :)

Enjoy the excitement building as you wait, Reptilia. ;)

Reptilia

Thank you! Yes, I only get figures a couple times per year, it really is special and exciting to wait for them to arrive. Especially when they are new releases!  :))

Minmiminime

Quote from: DragonRider02 on May 14, 2018, 08:33:24 PM
Just ordered Theri! Can't wait for it to arrive! I wish I had more money on my PayPal I would then order some New CollectAs...

I know, I'm in the same boat..! Typical that they've all arrived at the same time, but at least they have finally arrived ;) It'll certainly keep me going until the end of the year!!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Atokensis

Just placed my order for the Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus on ED! I hope the "Tiger" Acrocanthosaurus arrive to their stock soon.

kreativtek

Quote from: Atokensis on May 14, 2018, 10:35:20 PM
Just placed my order for the Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus on ED! I hope the "Tiger" Acrocanthosaurus arrive to their stock soon.

According to an e-mail I received from ED, it is still a few weeks away. I guess I will hold my order and wait for it to come in.

By the way, in the newest newsletter message I got from ED, the Therizinosaurus is described as ,,widely regarded as Papo's best ever dinosaur figure". Do you agree, guys? I've had a fair share of Papo models but sold off most of them due to lack of storage space and varying scale across figures (their Carnotaurus, however well-sculpted, was really driving me nuts).

Is Therizinosaurus really Papo's best piece?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: kreativtek on May 15, 2018, 10:23:29 AM

According to an e-mail I received from ED, it is still a few weeks away. I guess I will hold my order and wait for it to come in.

By the way, in the newest newsletter message I got from ED, the Therizinosaurus is described as ,,widely regarded as Papo's best ever dinosaur figure". Do you agree, guys? I've had a fair share of Papo models but sold off most of them due to lack of storage space and varying scale across figures (their Carnotaurus, however well-sculpted, was really driving me nuts).

Sincerely, Papo has had very good figures such as his styracosaurus, the mentioned carnotaurus, the tupuxuara and even the Papo apatosaurus. For me the best figures (although they are based on JP) are the Papo spinosaurus and the tyrannosaurus running from Papo. They are not scientific but I think they are outstanding paleo-sculptures despite the fact that many years have passed since their production.

Even the quetzalcoatlus Papo with all the criticisms that are being leveled against this figure can give us a very positive surprise. Maybe it is not a pterosaur as one would like (I particularly like it and I can not say otherwise) but it is an outstanding paleoartistic work in the world of the dinosaur toy and in this case prehistoric animals.

MoarCrossovers

Not really related to the new products, but has anyone had any issues with moving the feathered Velociraptor's jaw? All the ones at my local toy shop don't wanna open.

Mini Minmi

Mine was also very tight but after opening and closing it a lot it loosened up a bit. What scared me is that it now opens to a ridiculous angle so the first time I thought I had forced it too much. But it seems ok. I'm surprised none would move at all. That makes me think of the baby t.rex more than the feathered velociraptor.

tanystropheus

Yes, most certainly.

Syndicate Bias

Ordered my therizinosaurus from them i cant wait!

Minmiminime

Quote from: MoarCrossovers on May 15, 2018, 04:07:38 PM
Not really related to the new products, but has anyone had any issues with moving the feathered Velociraptor's jaw? All the ones at my local toy shop don't wanna open.

I'm not aware of any issues, but a bit of hot water should fix it :) It does open to about 90o, so don't worry about that, either. I remember watching the review by Jurassic Collectables when it came out, and this was something he touched on
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Reptilia

Allosaurus is still my personal favourite, but the Therizinosaurus is definitely a contender.

They've updated their site, eventually: https://www.papo-france.com/en/14-dinosaurs?id_category=14&n=45

The Atroxious

Quote from: Reptilia on May 15, 2018, 09:20:03 PM

Allosaurus is still my personal favourite, but the Therizinosaurus is definitely a contender.

Yeah, I think all of their dinosaurs have issues, but I'd say it's a tie between Allosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, and Therizinosaurus. My personal favorite is the Therizinosaurus because of its birdiness. I can't say any one of those three is objectively the best, however, since the Allosaurus has hand issues, Cryolophosaurus has tail issues, and Therizinosaurus has teeth issues. Gotta pick your poison.

Shadowknight1

Yeah, every Papo has its issues.  Allosaurus has the pronated hands.  Both the Dilophosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus have odd tripod poses.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Syndicate Bias

If only they made better poses and hadnt done pronated hands

Shonisaurus

I sincerely believe that in a PVC figure unfortunately it is very difficult to make a perfect figure due to the material. The resin or polyresin material is better, I think that from my humble point of view, making a PVC or vinyl toy figure entails those risks, in the vast majority of cases it will have some defect.

With regard to the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo perhaps because of its small size the best finish is the tupuxuara because it has less seams and is influenced by the legendary resin figures of Sideshow.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 16, 2018, 02:29:08 AM
Yeah, every Papo has its issues.  Allosaurus has the pronated hands.  Both the Dilophosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus have odd tripod poses.

It would be nice if Papo releases another Acro with a unique pose, because its just a great sculpt.

Minmiminime

I would love to see that! I don't know why more companies don't do that, rather than just releasing repaints for a bit of variety

Mini Minmi

Repaints are much much cheaper to produce than different poses of the same base sculpt. It would be like doing a brand new figure and at that point they prefer a different animal entirely. It would be great though. But highly unlikely.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: