News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini Minmi

avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime For some reason I always pictured you as female. And I assumed your age range based on the type of dinosaur you are; not that many young'n I know know Gertie.
Enjoy the figures! I'm glad you like the iguanodon more than expected. I should expect mine in a week or two. Wee! :D
Also, allow me to say "Do it!"  >:D about the YouTube reviews. The worst that can happen is you have fun.

avatar_tanystropheus @tanystropheus I like how you think. ;)

Minmiminime

Well, you never know...I appreciate the support! Watch this space ;)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: hao_bao on May 16, 2018, 08:16:52 PM
The baby Spinosaurus - works fine with the adult.

Quote from: Reptilia on May 17, 2018, 09:28:31 PM
Judging by hao_bao's photos seems like the juvenile Spinosaurus have already changed from the original production runs. Mine doesn't have that spray of violet on the sail, the yellow markings aren't that many, and wears no eyeshadow.

My one, which I got when the Juvenile Spino was first released in that box set with the Ceratosaurus, has the features that hao_bao's Spinosaurus has but they were just a lot more faint. But yeah, interesting how drastic the paint has changed O.o

hao_bao

I think my spino youngster is the same hue as yours in  person, but the photo accentuated the colours, probably due to camera settings.

As for the amargasaurus, it is hidden at the back of the display and is mostly obscured by the bulk of the Bary. I'm not so concerned about the bad detailing so much as its ridiculous scale. The apatosaurus was bad enough (it clearly isn't a juvenile) but this one definitely can't be passed off as a baby. If it's not careful it may end up joining the rainbow rex and marine reptiles in the box of retired models.  :))

dragon53

hao_bao

Also, imo the articulated jaw of the Iguanodon is pointless and adds nothing to the model. It might as well have just been sculpted open.

Syndicate Bias

Well i thought it was nice either way for them to try to articulate herbivores.

Shonisaurus

The iguanodon of Papo is an absolute improvement over its counterpart parasaurolophus that was commercialized in the first era of this company.

Thanks for the video, dragon53

Jose S.M.

It looks like the Iguanodon has one good side of its head and one that's not so good. The seams on the jaw look less weird on the side that has it's foot on the ground. Still the body looks very detailed as to expect with Papo.

Faelrin

I agree that the mouth on the side with its front limb on the ground, helps to hide it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

IrritatorRaji

Pictures of the new Acro compared with the 2017 one (posted by Celina Stöcker in a Papo FB group)

And really awesome photos of the Theri by Nathan 'Acro' Shepherd (posted in the same FB group)

Shonisaurus

Of course, the "aesthetic arrangement" of Papo's acrocanthosaurus is an absolute improvement over his previous figure. It is one of my favorite dinosaurs of Papo 2018.

On the other hand the therinosaurus of Papo seems taken from a pictorial made by a paleoartist. It is perhaps by far the best figure of Papo 2018. Although I sincerely have high hopes with Papo's quetzalcoatlus. The same gives us a very pleasant surprise.  O:-)

Minmiminime

I must say now that I've had a chance to sit and admire my Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus I'm no less enamoured with either of them ^-^

The Iguanodon has impressed me far more than I expected, it's a beautiful model. Comparing it against Doug Watson's iconic version the proportions are very similar. The biggest issue is that jaw, but it doesn't honestly look as bad in life. A close look inside reveals teeth in the upper jaw. The seam is pretty easy to overlook. The other thing that irks me is the slightly forced-looking rotation of the right humerus, but overall it's very convincing and lifelike, like most Papo models (it's also my favourite Iguanodon model, ever)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Step another video of Papo therizinosaurus where you can see how detailed that figure is, is from kathrins dinoversum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD7_UWoJNzM&feature=push-u&attr_tag=QgXkiXdbNXCavY1I-6

Reptilia

I'm glad people's appreciating the Therizinosaurus that much, I remember lots of criticism and negativity when the promo image came out back in november.

Minmiminime

It's definitely one of Papo's finest, it's so beautifully sculpted and painted. It's very tactile too, that big round belly sits beautifully in the palm of my hand. I've handled them both a lot since I got them and the paintwork is bearing up well so far :))

Reptilia

Mine should arrive any day next week. The rest of my collection is already in storage for the summer, but I think I'll keep the new ones on display for a few days to enjoy them a bit. Maybe to shoot some photos if I get to borrow a decent camera.

Syndicate Bias

Storage? Does it get really hot where you live or whats the reasons? Just curious maybe storage keeps the models from melting by the hot weather? Paint? Lol

I think the only things i do is i usually put the plastic support the models come with in summer. With the vitae giganotosaurus i have taken steps to remove it from its base and given it the plastic support. Dont trust it one bit, other than that i got my shane foulkes giganotosaurus which is in storage since its summer.

Also does anyone know when the 2018 acrocanthosaurus will be available at ED?

Reptilia

Yes, it gets very hot here during summer, last couple years it's been like 38-40°C for weeks in july and august. I decided to keep my Papo figures in storage from may to october, down in the basement where the temperature is cooler.

stegosauria

That's really hot. Why just your Papo figures got 'exiled' for safety reason? Their materials are more sensitive to hot temperature thanbfigures from other brands?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: