News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Honestly I don't think either is that great, the CollectA one seems to have a vertically flattened tail without very much muscle around the hips (strange as the Mantellisaurus seems perfect in that regard) and the Papo ironically seems to be lacking the vertical depth the tail should have.

The Papo version is also covered with bulging muscles and patterns highlighting the bones, but these are stylistic features.

If you ask me just get the CollectA Mantellisaurus and if anyone points out it's not Iguanodon you can say you're a genus lumper ;)

Flaffy

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 20, 2017, 06:03:09 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 20, 2017, 02:32:03 AM
Oof, Papo digging deeper and deeper into their grave.
This playset's a joke, along with the rest of the releases for next year.

So, a company makes one cutesy product (e.g. playset), and one that isn't even necessarily part of the core line, and it is "digging itself in the grave". Talk about being incredibly biased and secretly rooting for a particular team (and the hypothetical demise of Papo)?

Actually, the Iguano and Theri are superior products, and there are many members and enthusiasts here with artistic inclinations that will agree.
The same can be said for you with your endless praise for Papo.
I don't root for the hypothetical demise of Papo, however, I personally think this year's releases are a big step down in quality in some figures, and overall model aesthetics in others. The Therizinosaurus is not a bad figure looking back, but the same cannot be said for the rest of the releases. And all of them are most definitely not superior by any means.

Syndicate Bias

Someone needs to make better decisions on what should.be done at papo. Because these models so far are telling me papo doesn't want to profit a lot next year like this one. A giganotosaurus or carcharodontosaurus or just at least one carnivore would've helped.

Gwangi

We got three outstanding theropods last year, I don't understand the complaints. Iguanodon and Theri. are two genera that people have been requesting and wishing they would make for years now. And technically the Therizinosaurus is a theropod too.

Now with that said, I'm not too excited about any of these releases. The baby Spinosaurus is a hard pass, so is the Amargasaurus. I thought they could do Amargasaurus well, that it fit their style. I was wrong! The Iguanodon is very strange, mostly in its proportions. The Therizinosaurus is the best of the batch, I might pick up that one. The huge chest cavity is distressing though.

Shonisaurus

I totally agree with you regarding the therizinosaurus from the positive point of view.  :)

For me the iguanodon is a good figure.  :D On the other hand the one that does not convince me sincerely is the amargasaurus.

On the other hand I have the juvenile spinosaurus and I can affirm that it is not bad at all. I do not understand so many complaints and criticisms towards that figure. It is true that it is a Jurassic Park but we must affirm (at least for those of us who have it in our collection) that it is as detailed and hyper-realistic as the adult of the same brand.

Honestly, it seems like a good year for Papo. Keep in mind that last year revealed a whopping seven figures plus the repainted oviraptor. But we must bear in mind that except for the acrocanthosaurus, the rest of the figures were of medium or medium-small size. And I get the impression that both the iguanodon and the therizinosaurus of Papo 2018 are of a considerable size, so it compensates for what they have produced by four figures together with the prehistoric man who sincerely does not convince me.

I would like more realistic figures of ancestors of homo sapiens that were not based on old prehistoric films.

MLMjp

Quote from: Gwangi on November 21, 2017, 06:49:41 PM
I thought they could do Amargasaurus well, that it fit their style. I was wrong! The Iguanodon is very strange, mostly in its proportions. The Therizinosaurus is the best of the batch, I might pick up that one. The huge chest cavity is distressing though.

It would have looked great if Mr Seo had sculpted it, but they give it to the Polacanthus sculptor, who for some reason decide to make it as worse as posible. IMO the sculpt retail of the polacanthus is really good, not as good as the usual papo, but still good. So I donĀ“t know why the huge drop in quality for this year.

Syndicate Bias

I'm not complaining that the new dinosaurs.this year sucks. Im complaining that we didn't get a giga or a carcha. Im probably in the minority for this but I would've liked if they released the giga, I saw the polls and I'm.happy that they made two of the top three dinosaurs that were voted highest except for the third which was a giganotosaurus but oh well. The wait continues

tanystropheus

I think folks are confusing drop in quality with drop in quantity.

There's no need to put the neanderthal into the mix. Name one good neanderthal figure. Not to mention that real-life neanderthals were less troll-esque/brutish and more human-esque, as far as aesthetics are concerned.

Neosodon

Maybe it's just the pose but the Therizinosaurus looks rather bloated. The only papo figure that I have any interest in is the Iguanadon but the collecta one is probably better.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

Yeah I thought it was bloated too, but I think this one is a little too bloated, maybe it's still in the range of possibility.

Neosodon

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 21, 2017, 09:09:25 PM
Quote from: Neosodon on November 21, 2017, 08:44:46 PM
Maybe it's just the pose but the Therizinosaurus looks rather bloated.
I thought the Therizinosaurus is supposed to be kind of bloated. To be fair, Papo is just going off of available paleo art:
It may be also be the proportions. The neck and tail look way too short while the belly is stretched out so much. And they went for a vertical tripod pose too but that's what I've learned to expect from them. It would have been nice if they went for something a little more natural looking like the chased by dinosaur's Theri but if papo started making natural looking dinosaurs they could hardly be considered papo anymore.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

The legs seem too far back on the torso to me, the tail seems very short and the body very long. This could potentially be the angle of the photo.

Gwangi

The gut should be bloated. The chest? Probably not.

Syndicate Bias

Well I guess no point in complaining I guess maybe they have one last sculpt but we won't know for sure until January directly from them. But december most likely from leaks I just hope they may have made a giganotosaurus even if its smaller than expected I can only hope

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 22, 2017, 06:58:06 AM
Well I guess no point in complaining I guess maybe they have one last sculpt but we won't know for sure until January directly from them. But december most likely from leaks I just hope they may have made a giganotosaurus even if its smaller than expected I can only hope

They do it as a surprise or scoop at Christmas next year. I would not be surprised if some surprise they have in their sleeve at the end of the year, as happened with the juvenile spinosaurus.

hao_bao

Quote from: Minmiminime on November 19, 2017, 07:54:40 PM
It interesting that ED put comparison shots of the original and revised caveman together. There seems to have been a marked reduction in quality in the new version.

I hope Papo will continue to make beautiful dinosaurs, even if they continue to have their peculiarities; I hope they're not in the process of reducing Mr Seo's stunning output in favour of poorer, cheaper models.

But, I only buy around two of their dinosaurs a year, anyway, so...next year is sorted regardless

I've got both of the original cavemen and can assure you the quality is horrendous and nothing like the promotional picture. Both are painted bright orange and lack any texturing or fine shading.

Jose S.M.

I can't see that link. Maybe it's a private group?

Shonisaurus

You have to have a Facebook account to enter there. I do not visualize it either, you would have to register.

I would not be surprised that "maybe" Collecta also has some "surprise" as Papo, regardless of that qualification both companies have been very bright this year especially Collecta, and also Papo with his iguanodon and therizinosaurus and in a lesser way (despite the majority criticisms of juvenile spinosaurus).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: