News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 17, 2017, 12:23:16 AM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 16, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
I'm guessing since we got the baby spino that's it for 2018?

The baby spino is a 2017 model. It is packaged with the 2017 Ceratosaurus.

As we said, by that logic, the Safari Mastodon is a 2017 model.

Ten years from now, people will look back and see that these as 2018 AKA the year they were intended to be a part of.

Syndicate Bias

So one more.release? And two repaints left no? I hope its a giga :/

Syndicate Bias

I guess at this point the question is when they will let us know more about the last three releases if we go by the models from last year if anyone knows

stargatedalek

We can buy 2018 cars right now.

The year is as much a title as it is an intended release date, in many cases more.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 17, 2017, 01:05:33 AM
I guess at this point the question is when they will let us know more about the last three releases if we go by the models from last year if anyone knows

I don't think we have any idea how many there will be. In 2015 they only released two full sized figures (Apatosaurus, Tupuxuara) and a set of miniatures. In 2016 there were three new sculpts and two repaints. This year was an unusually big year for them, I think.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Irritation

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 17, 2017, 03:08:25 AM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 17, 2017, 01:05:33 AM

I don't think we have any idea how many there will be. In 2015 they only released two full sized figures (Apatosaurus, Tupuxuara) and a set of miniatures. In 2016 there were three new sculpts and two repaints. This year was an unusually big year for them, I think.
Best case scenario: We wait until December to see if there are anymore Papo Dinosaurs. If not, we'll wait until next year.

Syndicate Bias

I asked papo when they would let us know and they said not until january rip

sauroid

fingers crossed, Papo would still put out a final impressive 2018 figure...

***i guess anything released after August is considered a next year figure. like in the high end fashion world, they label their show for next year while being exhibited in the runway (although not available in the market yet).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Syndicate Bias

If its not a predator and it better be a giga I'm gonna be disappointed

Loon

I really hope it's a realistic Dino from the Flintstones, or better yet the Sinclairs from Dinosaurs, maybe a small figurine of Yoshi from the Super Mario Bros. Movie. I would definitely say I want those and then never buy them.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 17, 2017, 05:48:53 AM
I asked papo when they would let us know and they said not until january rip

Therefore, as is logical in Papo's revelations, we will have to wait until January.

I hope he is a better figure than his amargasaurus. I hope that at least it is at the same height as its therizinosaurus or even its iguanodon.

Although I am not a fortuneteller, I suppose that this year they will not make a giganotosaurus either, because of the published comments. I hope you surprise us with a great figure.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on November 17, 2017, 12:26:04 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on November 17, 2017, 12:23:16 AM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 16, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
I'm guessing since we got the baby spino that's it for 2018?

The baby spino is a 2017 model. It is packaged with the 2017 Ceratosaurus.

As we said, by that logic, the Safari Mastodon is a 2017 model.

Ten years from now, people will look back and see that these as 2018 AKA the year they were intended to be a part of.

Nope, that's NOT how logic works dude.

Safari has an altogether different release schedule than Papo.  Safari will release all their 2018 models now, while Papo will release all of their 2018 models (give or take 1 model) in 2018. Safari's release schedule is unique and not comparable to CollectA or Schleich. They only started this form of distribution one or two years ago.

Syndicate Bias

Well damn, something tells me all we are gonna get for last reveal will be the repaints. Im kinda starting to doubt anything like a giganotosaurus will show up for 2018 I guess the wait continues onwards to whenever they decide to in 2019,2020 or whenever

Shonisaurus

It may be, that you say it is true but I hope you are completely wrong with your statements. It would be a little lazy year for the Papo brand in terms of quantity of figures and quality.

Except for the therizinosaurus and in a certain way the iguanodon there is no other figure that is still dazzling as in previous years we were accustomed to the Papo brand.

But in this case you do not have to be defeatist and pessimistic, you should not lose hope.  :)

Loon

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 17, 2017, 03:58:42 PM
Well damn, something tells me all we are gonna get for last reveal will be the repaints. Im kinda starting to doubt anything like a giganotosaurus will show up for 2018 I guess the wait continues onwards to whenever they decide to in 2019,2020 or whenever
I'm thinking the the Therizinosaurus is their big figure for the year, so I don't think we'll get a gig. Also the Acrocanthosaurus just came out, so a giganotosaurus would be awfully similar to the point of redundancy currently.

Syndicate Bias

I guess I'll be buying the vitae giganotosaurus and mom models carcha then. Fingers crossed

Irritation

I wonder how big these figures will be?

suspsy

Here's ED's write up on the 2018 line. I'd be lying if I said I was impressed by that cardboard playset. Schleich would no doubt laugh at it.

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/11/19/papo-new-prehistoric-animal-models-for-2018.html
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Compared to the previous one, Papo unfortunately has lowered the bar a lot.

Ultimately there will not be any news of prehistoric animal by Papo in 2018. Sincerely, it is quite disappointing. Of course the therizinosaurus and to a lesser extent the iguanodon are the main figures of this year's Papo by far.

I spoke with a salesman many years ago, to be more precise in 2012 and he told me that the company Papo presented economic difficulties, because buyers (especially parents of children) preferred to buy the Schleich dinosaurs or other more affordable companies. those of Papo. According to him buying the figures Papo was like buying a luxury car that only a few people can afford, while other companies like Schleich, for example, was like buying a cheaper car and therefore it would give the same game to child.

I stress that this was an opinion of a store salesman for 2012 and I say it without offending the Schleich company that this year has fortunately made some outstanding figures in the toy market.

Faelrin

That whole landscape playset thing just looks like a poorly attempted photoshop. Maybe it'll be a bit better in person, but I have my doubts. The style of it seems to clash with those highly detailed Papo models too. Schleich might have inaccurate dinosaurs in nearly all instances, but they have put out some really good landscape sets before, and I think they're probably the only one that has attempted that (unless Safari Ltd and CollectA's various plants count), so I guess it's interesting that Papo are trying something, but it could have been better.

Well if these really are everything for this year, then this is pretty underwhelming. I hope the Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus will look better in video or people's collection images. I have to wonder if their poses were designed to compliment each other too. Only time will tell if these make enough of an impression on me to really want them.

Edit: Why did I forget about the Beast of the Mesozoic accessory packs (especially considering I ordered two of them)? I suppose those count in a way.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: