News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RolandEden on November 25, 2017, 04:20:05 AM
Where did you read in Sts said they are not going to make more dinosaurs?

That's what FlaffyRaptors said in his message of November 23, 2017, 03:03:09 AM »in which he said Some good and bad news from the STS.
Good news, CollectA's confirmed number figures for the next revelation, including existing animals.
Bad news, there will only be 3 models.

That's what FlaffyRaptors said that day I may have misunderstood, and that's why I figured that among the three novelties there would only be at most one dinosaur. The truth and truth that in what refers to my case was a mistake or a misinterpretation of the news, and I feel the members of the forum among others RolandEden to have commented on this news. We are human and we are wrong. I misunderstood and I apologize to the members of the forum.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Nanuqsaurus

Boy am I glad I didn't get the original Acrocanthosaurus yet... That is a stunning repaint. :o

I don't really care for the Compy, it's just a 100% JP figure again, including scaly body and pronated hands. The Quetzalcoatlus isn't bad, although the pose is a bit awkward. At least they gave it some fluff. I recently got the Safari Quetzalcoatlus though, so I don't see any reason to get this one.

IrritatorRaji

OKAY I'M IN LOVE

Yeah yeah say what you want about the fact they're repainting a model they released last year but I love their new version! And that Quetz looks amazing, very scientifically inaccurate, but amazing!

Patrx

Definitely interested in the Compsognathus, that'll work well as a Jurassic Park replica. The Acrocanthosaurus has the same problems it's always had, but this color scheme does look great, at least in the promo image.

The azhdarchid, to me, looks like a bald (and therefore worse) permutation of RJ Palmer's reconstruction:

Everything_Dinosaur

If you visit Everything Dinosaur's Facebook page, you will see that we have posted up pictures of 3 new for 2018 prehistoric animal models from Papo.  We don't have dimensions or release dates but we would expect a quarter 2 to quarter 3 release for these models.  We will blog about these three new figures all in good time.

In the meantime, here is the link to our Facebook page: Everything Dinosaur on Facebook

We would be honoured if you would give our Facebook page a "like" when you visit.

Hope this helps.

IrritatorRaji

I'm not overly fond of that Compy though. I know it's based on Jurassic Park but that thing looks so emaciated. Also, pronated hands (not usually too much of an issue but it's being released alongside dinosaurs with correctly positioned hands) and that tail seem annoying.

Shonisaurus

I did not expect these three nice news.

Papo acrocanthosaurus improves with its repainting. It is even superior than its original with that painting technique.  :)

The compsognathus is much better than that of Rebor although now unfortunately they make all their figures with articulated jaws whether small or large animals.

On the other hand the quetzalcoatlus is for me colossal and very cool! Very beautiful and very well finished. The position adopted by this great quetzalcoatlus is avant-garde, new, in short and unprecedented in toy pterosaurs.  8)

I get the impression that my portfolio will shake this year.

It also corroborates what I said in his day about Papo that would have to wait for surprises and I always had hopes that perhaps they would make some new figure, apart from the great therizinosaurus and the iguanodon and I see that my hopes have not been in vain. :D

I never thought that Papo would continue this year making so many prehistoric animals.

The quetzalcoatlus I repeat I like a lot is my favorite pterosaurus this next year. It is very nice.  :P  8)

Rain

Wow that's an amazing repaint, not something you'd expect from Papo.

Moodyraptor

I like the compy.  Yes, I know it's a JP rip-off, but I love papo's JP rip-offs.  I just consider them film merchandise.  That's definitely on my wants list for next year, along with the iguanodon.  Could definitely be tempted by all three of these, though.  The acro repaint is much nicer than the original.

stargatedalek

Finally a JP compy! Been waiting for Papo to make one for years.

Quetz is pretty cool too, looks like this is gonna be the year I finally catch up on all the Papo stuff I've been waiting on that hasn't appeared in stores here.

Syndicate Bias

I think papo has outdone themselves again, even if no giganotosaurus I think this is a good year with these two mewodels and superior repaint

Ravonium

QuoteThe azhdarchid, to me, looks like a bald (and therefore worse) permutation of RJ Palmer's reconstruction

The azhdarchid may not be as hairy as RJ Palmer's reconstruction, but I don't exactly get how it is 'bald'.

If you look at the body of the azhdarchid closely you can see skin sculpting that looks like it was meant to resemble pycnofibres.

I apologize if you're taking about another aspect of the Papo model.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Well looks like i'll finally be getting the Acrocanthosaurus, with the new repaint of course ;)
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Patrx

Quote from: Ravonium on November 30, 2017, 04:08:26 PM
If you look at the body of the azhdarchid closely you can see skin sculpting that looks like it was meant to resemble pycnofibres.

Aha! You may be right, there. I can't quite tell, to be honest.

suspsy

The Acro's new colour scheme is a huge improvement. Great call on Papo's part, but I still wish they'd do the same with their Triceratops.

The Quetz's looks like it's grovelling at somebody's feet. Perhaps it's begging one of the T. rexes not to eat it!

And the Compy is a total JP wank, which I thought Papo had finally moved past. I'd be curious to see how big it is though.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

I get the impression that both the Quetzalcoatlus and the Paiz therizinosaurus will be huge or at least medium-large figures like the acrocanthosaurus. That's my wish.  :P

Jose S.M.

I'm so glad I didn't order the Acrocanthosaurus when I meant to, this colors are much better! Also if that azdarchid has pycnofibers I think I might get it.

Lanthanotus

While the Quetzal's feet look like the sculptor had some left from a theropod sculpt and added a toe, the overall appearance is great I think. Just the pose cries out for a counterpart, but maybe it would go nice with CollectA's Quetzal with prey...

sauroid

all these three new Papo's look great. and the Acro repaint is 1000% better than the original. Papo is one of the very few companies whose promo pics look as good as the final products.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: