News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

wow Papo what a rebound! these 3 reveals are very nice! the compy makes a great JP figure, the acro's new color scheme is impressive and I love the hell out of the quetzal! yeah it absolutely no way accurate(I didn't even recognize it a a quetzalcoatlus at first) but its pose is so wonderfully creepy and feral looking!

stargatedalek

How is the wing finger bent the wrong way? I have never seen any reconstructions that show the finger pointing forwards, this wouldn't be aerodynamic.

Minmiminime

I don't know how it works, but I wonder if whoever can do so, would mind putting all the pictures in the "new for 2018" threads on the front pages..? It's not hugely important, but it would be nice to see all the models together.

Except maybe the Amargasaurus  :-X
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 30, 2017, 08:28:45 PM
I know that maybe I am a little ambitious, but still Papo could reveal some novelty Maybe the giganotosaurus? If so, we would have to modify some votes in the forum in which we ask that in 2019 they make among other figures the much desired giganotosaurus.  ::)

I am aware that Papo has already revealed too much, but I believe that we would like another new piece of news. As I say of illusion, you also live.  :))

On the other hand resuming the conversation and it is not because I have commissions in the dinosaur companies I am completely convinced that the quetzalcoatlus is the best pterosaur that the Papo brand has done to date, even surpassing the great tupuxuara.

What I dream is that this figure is at least almost as big as Recur's. For me it would be great.

It is true that the tupuxuara is more paleonerd and the quetzalcoatlus is more Jurassic Park but due to its predictable size I like this last figure of the Papo company. For me the quetzalcoatlus is awesomebro.

Scientifically it is more realistic tupuxuara but I am totally excited with his new pterosaur.

I'm with you, I heard papo usually reveals two repaints a year and this year they have made one so far and 6 new dinosaurs while last year it was two repaints and 5 new dinosaurs. So pretty even but if we go by repaints i feel like they would have the repaint with their last and biggest surprise which would be a giganotosaurus imo. But one can only dream, here's to hoping.a third reveal is out there

MLMjp

Surprises from Papo, that is unnexpected.

The Acro repaint, while having a more complex and "atractive" color scheme, I think I prefer the orginal colors. I do not why, but I really like those bright colors of it. I do not think that I need this repaint but we will see when in-hand photos come if this repaint gains my affection or not.

Compy is a JP copy, but I can see that it has three long fingers instead of one reduced fingers and two long ones. So it is not a 100% accurate copy. If you want a JP compy and you do not want to buy from rebor, Papo now has the answer for your problem.

The quezt is interesting, the pose is different from your typycal standing azharquid pose, it could have a slightly thicker coar of pycnofibers, but still prety good. I am interested, cant wait to see how it looks in person.

Also, quite an ammount of figures from Papo this year! Even if not all or them are as good as other years.

MLMjp

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 10:53:52 PM
I know that maybe I am a little ambitious, but still Papo could reveal some novelty Maybe the giganotosaurus? If so, we would have to modify some votes in the forum in which we ask that in 2019 they make among other figures the much desired giganotosaurus.  ::)

I am aware that Papo has already revealed too much, but I believe that we would like another new piece of news. As I say of illusion, you also live.  :))

On the other hand resuming the conversation and it is not because I have commissions in the dinosaur companies I am completely convinced that the quetzalcoatlus is the best pterosaur that the Papo brand has done to date, even surpassing the great tupuxuara.

What I dream is that this figure is at least almost as big as Recur's. For me it would be great.

It is true that the tupuxuara is more paleonerd and the quetzalcoatlus is more Jurassic Park but due to its predictable size I like this last figure of the Papo company. For me the quetzalcoatlus is awesomebro.

Scientifically it is more realistic tupuxuara but I am totally excited with his new pterosaur.

I'm with you, I heard papo usually reveals two repaints a year and this year they have made one so far and 6 new dinosaurs while last year it was two repaints and 5 new dinosaurs. So pretty even but if we go by repaints i feel like they would have the repaint with their last and biggest surprise which would be a giganotosaurus imo. But one can only dream, here's to hoping.a third reveal is out there

Honestly guys I think that is asking too much, there is a lot of figures announced for 2018, much more than other years. I highly doubt that Papo will announce more figures. If you really want a Giganotosaurus then get the Safari or wait for the Vitae one.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on November 30, 2017, 03:17:56 PM
Boy am I glad I didn't get the original Acrocanthosaurus yet... That is a stunning repaint. :o

I don't really care for the Compy, it's just a 100% JP figure again, including scaly body and pronated hands. The Quetzalcoatlus isn't bad, although the pose is a bit awkward. At least they gave it some fluff. I recently got the Safari Quetzalcoatlus though, so I don't see any reason to get this one.

I totally agree about the Acro. I'm glad I waited. This is the Acro that we deserve.
I disagree about the Compy, it has a different head sculpt than the JP version. The snout is more blunted. Also, the lower body and pelvic region is more gaunt. The REBOR version is 95% JP accurate, and the Chronicle Collectibles is 100% JP accurate. However, I like this Papo variation.
I also purchased the Safari Quetz, but I like this version better. It looks more organic.

tanystropheus

To think folks were crying (I mean literally) about it being Papo's worst year.

Quite the contrary, it is their BEST year.

Props to Papo for once again proving that they are one of the premier dinosaur toy companies.

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on November 30, 2017, 11:30:06 PM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 10:53:52 PM

Honestly guys I think that is asking too much, there is a lot of figures announced for 2019, much more than other years. I highly doubt that Papo will announce more figures. If you really want a Giganotosaurus then get the Safari or wait for the Vitae one.

I think Vitae is the best bet. It's gorgeous.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on November 30, 2017, 03:16:38 PM

Man, I have the first one AND the Rebor Acro...but I really want this repaint.  It looks fantastic.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ravonium on November 30, 2017, 04:08:26 PM
QuoteThe azhdarchid, to me, looks like a bald (and therefore worse) permutation of RJ Palmer's reconstruction

The azhdarchid may not be as hairy as RJ Palmer's reconstruction, but I don't exactly get how it is 'bald'.

If you look at the body of the azhdarchid closely you can see skin sculpting that looks like it was meant to resemble pycnofibres.

I apologize if you're taking about another aspect of the Papo model.

The pycnofibres are unmistakable. This is one area where the Quetz has improved over the Tupux.

Halichoeres

I guess 2018 will look more like 2017 than 2015 for Papo! Good news, I was thinking I'd have to go an entire year without giving them any money.

The Acro's new pajamas look really nice. I have the original, but I just might have to trade it in.

The Quetz is an interesting pose but a species we don't really need more of. I'll probably skip it although it's their best pterosaur so far.

Almost every Compsognathus figure that exists is more-or-less JP style. I'd like one that isn't, please.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Syndicate Bias

I've been waiting for vitae still. The company is ready to ship next week apparently.I can't wait! Although I.will still be looking forward to more giganotosaurus models and toys from.every company as the years go by.

Loon

The pose of the quetzalcoatlus gives me a real Dinotopia vibe, looks like a Skybax preparing to be mounted by its rider. 

EmperorDinobot

Papo always forces me to come out of the cavern.

These are good for JP fans, which is me.

But the Quetz's proportions are wrong, and the compy's got pronated hands. We're in 2017, not 1997.

Loon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 01, 2017, 01:26:58 AM
Papo always forces me to come out of the cavern.

These are good for JP fans, which is me.

But the Quetz's proportions are wrong, and the compy's got pronated hands. We're in 2017, not 1997.
To be fair, as you said, these are based on/inspired by Jurassic Park, at least the Compy is. So, all of the inaccuracies the JP Compy possessed would be present, as opposed to a modern day, accurate reconstruction.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 30, 2017, 10:42:43 PM
How is the wing finger bent the wrong way? I have never seen any reconstructions that show the finger pointing forwards, this wouldn't be aerodynamic.

In terms of it's resting posture, I mean.  Pterosaurs folded their wing finger back and under the elbow (or nearly so), so the top of the wing membrane is facing out, like this:

Not up and over the forearm, with the underside of the wing membrane facing out, like this:

It's a common error...

Faelrin

So I'm comparing the skeletal on Mark Witton's blog post about Quetzalcoatlus (http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2016/05/quetzalcoatlus-media-concept-vs-science.html), to the Papo Quetzalcoatlus. From what I'm recalling from the last time I read the post, it's just a best guess with the evidence at this point?

Anyways though, going off that it seems like the body is too large, the wing finger could be longer (I think the Papo Dimorphodon had the same issue with too small wings), the neck seems a bit short, and the legs seem a tad dinosaur like (at least due to the scales). There's also shrinkwrapping, but that's typical for Papo. So like the Therizinosaurus, its proportions are a bit off, but that aside I still like it. So that said, the recent Safari Ltd one is probably the most accurate to date, but I think that figure was a bit on the small side? Granted we don't have dimensions for this one yet either to know if it will be larger. I do prefer the pose on the Papo one over the flying pose of the Safari Ltd one though, although I would probably like it even more if it was in that typical giraffe-stork pose.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

The Papo is holding the wing almost horizontal with a slight upwards tilt almost as the finger would be held in flight. I'm not saying it's accurate or that this is a likely pose, but the wing fingers pose is not anatomically incorrect.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 01, 2017, 02:07:47 AM
The Papo is holding the wing almost horizontal with a slight upwards tilt almost as the finger would be held in flight. I'm not saying it's accurate or that this is a likely pose, but the wing fingers pose is not anatomically incorrect.

True, the flexion we see is possible, but the curvature and positioning of the adjacent membrane suggests it's being moved up or let down in an inaccurate fashion.  We'll need to wait and see more photos to know for sure, especially of the opposite side, as that wing finger looks fully retracted.

As far as I know, how pterosaurs folded their wing fingers has been settled for a while now.  Even Pteranodon skeletal diagrams from the 1950's have the "back and under" orientation.  I think it's just some artists have trouble envisioning how the folding would work and lay it "up and over", which is simpler to imagine, but not possible based how the base of the wing finger articulates with the metacarpals.  As you can see in the diagram below, it's a hinge joint that only allows the finger to move forward and back, not up and down.  Flexion of the wing finger itself in any direction is possible (though forward is perhaps a bit unlikely), but how much is still debated.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: