News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

A new Compy!!!!!!

Excellent work Papo.

dragon53

I got the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus because I didn't know Papo was going to release one.
I got the Papo "Rainbow" Acrocanthosaurus because I didn't know Papo was going to release one with a realistic, cool-looking paint scheme.
Now I'll have three Acrocanthosaurs. : :o

The Atroxious

Again with a model of a dinosaur with no abdominal muscles. What is it with Compsognathus always being portrayed as some weird skeletal wonder? It's really, really unappealing.

The Acro repaint looks surprisingly good. I don't know if I like it enough to get it still, but the colors are quite appealing regardless.

I gotta say though, despite the short legs and big head on the Therizinosaurus, I do like the way it looks. I don't mind the barrel chest at all, since if you look at the Nothronychus skeleton, it looks like it had the same feature. I give major props since it's really the only Therizinosaur figure to date that looks believably birdlike aside from the CollectA version. This one is a must have for me.

Minmiminime

Ooooh, am I glad I held out on the Acro..!  :)) This is typical from Papo!! A beautiful repaint, similar to the Cryolophosaurus but more subtle. I'll definitely be getting the Acro, that weird, Teddy-boy looking creeping Quetz, the Iguanodon and the Therizinosaurus. Despite being a JP copy, I must say the Compy appears to be better than the Rebor version :o Not that I own it, nor am I likely to get this Papo one. But if I had to make a choice, the Papo one would win hands down
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Moldovan0731

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 04:06:08 PM
I think papo has outdone themselves again, even if no giganotosaurus I think this is a good year with these two mewodels and superior repaint

I can see you were wishing hard for a Papo Giganotosaurus, but why? The Safari Ltd. Giganotosaurus (2017) is an accurate Giganotosaurus figure, and while it doesn't have detailed scales, that's not an inaccuracy either, as in reality an animal this big you would not see each individual scale. There is a review of it on dinotoyblog: http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/04/04/giganotosaurus-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd/ and several other reviews on youtube. Papo on the other hand most likely won't ever give us an accurate Giganotosaurus figure.

ITdactyl

I don't have any figures from Papo.  The Quetz will be the first.

The pose seems to be the "crouch" before the quad-launch - at least that's how I see it.

PaleoMatt

I am just frustrated as 2 days ago I recieved the Papo acro  >:( This new colour scheme is so much better!!!

pako

I wasn't expecting any more models for 2018, that is great news and those figures are awesome!!  ok I am a fan of JP and PAPO... helps, I was waiting for a compy as well, thought I would have to wait for years before Papo release one, well I am happy ! :)) :))

pako

Also I would be very interested in seing the scale of the compy, hope it is not too big.

Roselaar

Excellent figures! The Quetz, though not particularly accurate, solidly proves that Papo can still produce inspuired stuff. Compy doesn't, but it's just another great and affordable JP inspired figurine. And I love the Acro's paint job, though I do think it's a bit early for a second take.

Shonisaurus

I know that maybe I am a little ambitious, but still Papo could reveal some novelty Maybe the giganotosaurus? If so, we would have to modify some votes in the forum in which we ask that in 2019 they make among other figures the much desired giganotosaurus.  ::)

I am aware that Papo has already revealed too much, but I believe that we would like another new piece of news. As I say of illusion, you also live.  :))

On the other hand resuming the conversation and it is not because I have commissions in the dinosaur companies I am completely convinced that the quetzalcoatlus is the best pterosaur that the Papo brand has done to date, even surpassing the great tupuxuara.

What I dream is that this figure is at least almost as big as Recur's. For me it would be great.

It is true that the tupuxuara is more paleonerd and the quetzalcoatlus is more Jurassic Park but due to its predictable size I like this last figure of the Papo company. For me the quetzalcoatlus is awesomebro.

Scientifically it is more realistic tupuxuara but I am totally excited with his new pterosaur.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Moldovan0731 on November 30, 2017, 06:38:49 PM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 04:06:08 PM
I think papo has outdone themselves again, even if no giganotosaurus I think this is a good year with these two mewodels and superior repaint

I can see you were wishing hard for a Papo Giganotosaurus, but why? The Safari Ltd. Giganotosaurus (2017) is an accurate Giganotosaurus figure, and while it doesn't have detailed scales, that's not an inaccuracy either, as in reality an animal this big you would not see each individual scale. There is a review of it on dinotoyblog: http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/04/04/giganotosaurus-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd/ and several other reviews on youtube. Papo on the other hand most likely won't ever give us an accurate Giganotosaurus figure.

I already have it. I don't.care for 100% accuracy because no dinosaur I 100% accurate, there are suggestions and theories but look at the spinosaurus and dimetrodon and.t Rex.and how much our views have changed over the years. I highly doubt papo could mess up a giganotosaurus, not everyone rates figures based on accuracy mate

PhilSauria

Consider me impressed, well for two out of three at least, still making up my mind about the Comp. I also had been holding off on the Acrocanth but the new colour scheme has pushed it up my list, and say what you will about Papo, and people do, I think that Pteranodon aside they make good Pterosaurs. The Tupuxuara is one of the best looking models (shame it wasn't bigger) but this Quetz is a must have, and will surely be large. Hey it's the biggest animal that ever flew so how could you produce a model the size of a Sparrow? So, yeah I'll be looking forward to seeing the dimensions on this one. Buying it in any case, just be nice to have it at a size that reflects it's impressive stature among Pterosaurs.

Shonisaurus

Maybe I'm wrong but if you look at the link (only STS forum members can see it, in the second picture of Papo's juvenile spinosaurus, I see it as a brown parasaurolophus, I mean the one on the left of the baryonyx and behind from the polacanthus, it looks like a parasaurolophus, is there, as I have already indicated, some additional surprise?

I pass the link that for me has no loss, it seems like another new figure.

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19010-papo-amargasaurus-and-cheetah-new-for-2018

Loon

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
I already have it. I don't.care for 100% accuracy because no dinosaur I 100% accurate, there are suggestions and theories but look at the spinosaurus and dimetrodon and.t Rex.and how much our views have changed over the years. I highly doubt papo could mess up a giganotosaurus, not everyone rates figures based on accuracy mate
Problem is, Papo markets their models as "educational", and by those means they should be accurate to our current knowledge, not our biased feelings. While they are subjectively very nice looking, objectively they are wrong. If the same thought process was used, and Papo made a model of the solar system, and labelled it as "educational", and it was very nicely painted and sculpted, but the earth was in the center, would you still rate it so highly as a model?

pako

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 30, 2017, 09:01:03 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but if you look at the link (only STS forum members can see it, in the second picture of Papo's juvenile spinosaurus, I see it as a brown parasaurolophus, I mean the one on the left of the baryonyx and behind from the polacanthus, it looks like a parasaurolophus, is there, as I have already indicated, some additional surprise?

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t19010-papo-amargasaurus-and-cheetah-new-for-2018

Could you post the picture as I don't have (and don't plan to have) an account on this forum please, cheers

edit: I am just creating an account, ha men weaknesses

Andreioli

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 30, 2017, 09:01:03 PM

90% sure that's the Amargasaurus
10% whishing it wasn't :)

Great new additions BTW

Faelrin

I'm so adding that new Acrocanthosaurus repaint to my wishlist. While I haven't been able to get the new Papo figures yet, I was debating about getting the Acrocanthosaurus, since I wasn't hugely fond of the purple and orange. Now this is an easy choice for me to make. The JP styled Compy is interesting. I wonder how it would compare with Rebor's. I hope it is small in any case. Papo dinosaurs have some sense of scale at least. I also like that Quetz. It probably isn't accurate (I don't know much about pterosaurs anatomy to be honest), but I think I like it. I am so glad there was more this year for Papo.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ZoPteryx

Well, well, well.  Quite the surprise!

Really liking that new Acro color scheme, I might just have to get it now!  ;D

The JP style Compy isn't really my thing, but it's nice to see this genus getting some love.  Though accurately fluffy love would be better, imo.  ;)

That Quetz... I'll probably pass.  I had hoped Papo would make a Quetz, but I was envisioning something tall, large winged, and imposing.  Instead, it looks like they went for crumpled, weak, and frightened.  Pfft, figures.  The one time I was kind of hoping for something draconic, Papo didn't deliver.  ::)

Quote from: Faelrin on November 30, 2017, 09:54:49 PM
...It probably isn't accurate (I don't know much about pterosaurs anatomy to be honest),...

It's not.  It's only slightly better than the current Schleich version.  Body is much too big, wing finger bending the wrong way, very emaciated looking, etc.  Safari's Quetz is by far the most accurate on the market.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Loon on November 30, 2017, 09:15:43 PM
Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 30, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
Problem is, Papo markets their models as "educational", and by those means they should be accurate to our current knowledge, not our biased feelings. While they are subjectively very nice looking, objectively they are wrong. If the same thought process was used, and Papo made a model of the solar system, and labelled it as "educational", and it was very nicely painted and sculpted, but the earth was in the center, would you still rate it so highly as a model?

Ah well I didn't know they labelled themselves as educational, as for feelings your accuracy thing is still a debatable theory as years from now the accuracy could change and then you will look back and see the mistakes Would be better to avoid papo if I were you then, I think safari makes exactly what you're looking for bud glad I could help

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: