News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on January 05, 2018, 08:05:41 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 05, 2018, 06:53:36 PM
They are retro but still nicely done.

The Polacanthus once in hand was quite nice really.  The Amarga I want to see more pics of but it certainly looks like the worst Papo prehistoric thus far.

I still think the Tylosaurus is the worst.

It's awesome but for all the wrong reasons. The Tylosaurus looks like an animatronic puppet and is very reminiscent of the 1975 film, The Land That Time Forgot . In a sense, it should appeal to folks that appreciate models from Crystal Palace.

Reptilia

I see what you mean:

And also Charles R. Knight and Zdenek Burian's works, of course. As I said I'm not the biggest fan of that figure, but I actually fail to understand how people don't get its brilliancy and only get stuck on the same old "it's inaccurate" complaint.

Sim

Respectfully, the responses in favour of the Papo Plesiosaurus and Tylosaurus don't seem relevant to why these two figures were brought into the discussion.  Mirroraptor said, "PAPO has always been a synonym for intricate carvings", and then said the Papo Amargasaurus and Polacanthus lack this feature.  I asked her if she thinks this is true for the Papo Tylosaurus and Plesiosaurus, as to me these two figures appear to have a similar style to the Papo Polacanthus and Amargasaurus, in contrast to the style usually associated with Papo prehistoric figures.  Also, the detail on the Papo Tylosaurus and Plesiosaurus doesn't seem superior or more intricate than the detail on the Papo Amargasaurus and Polacanthus.  So the Plesiosaurus and Tylosaurus were brought into the discussion to be compared to other Papo figures, and especially to the Papo Amargasaurus and Polacanthus.  Thinking a figure has a retro quality, or thinking a figure's head is the best among all plesiosaur models, have nothing to do with whether these figures show "intricate carving" compared to other Papo figures, especially the Polacanthus and Amargasaurus.

Quote from: Reptilia on January 05, 2018, 11:21:17 PM
As I said I'm not the biggest fan of that figure, but I actually fail to understand how people don't get its brilliancy and only get stuck on the same old "it's inaccurate" complaint.

The Papo Tylosaurus isn't just inaccurate, the detail on it looks quite crude.  It also lacks pterygoid teeth, a feature which is present on both the first named mosasaur specimen, a Mosasaurus, and on the first named specimen of Tylosaurus.  In other words, it lacks a feature Tylosaurus has always been known to have, since the 1800s.  I think the Papo Tylosaurus is just a very poor figure.

Reptilia

Quote from: Mirroraptor on January 05, 2018, 05:43:53 PM
It really makes me wonder: Why PAPO still introduce some not very bright products like the Polacanthus in 2017 and the Amarga this year, and all of these figures seems made by the same sculptor.

Might just be they want to release more products per year, and they need to give the job to different sculptors in order to do that. Thankfully Mr Seo is still the main sculptor for the line, until he's on board we're sure to get at least two or three outstanding models every year.

Syndicate Bias

Fingers crossed for a giganotosaurus 2019!

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Sim on January 05, 2018, 06:49:43 PM
PAPO has always been a synonym for intricate carvings

Do you think this is true for the Papo Tylosaurus and Plesiosaurus?
Damn, I forget the Tylosaurus. m(_ _)m

Joey

Quote from: Mirroraptor on January 06, 2018, 06:32:00 AM
Quote from: Sim on January 05, 2018, 06:49:43 PM
PAPO has always been a synonym for intricate carvings

Do you think this is true for the Papo Tylosaurus and Plesiosaurus?
Damn, I forget the Tylosaurus. m(_ _)m
Lol, I forget about that figure too. I only remember the Plesiosaurus because it looks like Nessie, but the Tylosaurus is very forgettable.

Shonisaurus

I believe that to date the less graceful figure of Papo was his tylosaurus to date and perhaps unfortunately he will surpass the Papo amargasaurus (honestly it is a simple appreciation but I am not convinced by the commercial photos said figure).

The plesiosaurus is not a bad figure what kills him is his position of his neck a somewhat retro or antiquated image perhaps if the neck were in a rigid position as Collecta's long-necked plesiosaurs had not received such criticism, his figure is very Detailed

As far as the polacanthus is concerned, it does not seem to me a bad figure and sincerely, although I respect their artistic licenses, in this case the only thing that perhaps harms that figure is the final doubling of his tail as if he had dislocated a somewhat unnatural position.

Dino Scream3232

Does anyone have a list of the models Mr. Seo has sculpted for Papo?

Reptilia

It's easier to list what he didn't sculpt for sure, cause he once said that both prehistoric mammals and marine reptiles were done by someone else in Germany. So the Plesiosaurus and Tylosaurus, plus the original Smilodon, the mammoth and the two calves, and the woolly rhino. It's everybody's guess that he didn't sculpt the Polacanthus and the Amargasaurus, while there's no clue on the cave bear and the roaring Smilodon. The roaring Smilodon in particular is quite similar to the extant big cats he did for the wildlife range, so it might be his work. Pretty much everything else must have been done by him, you can see a consistent style in all dinosaurs and pterosaurs.

Dino Scream3232

Honestly when the first photos leaked I thought the Amargasaurus was from Schleich lol.

japfeif

Since we are posting "wish lists", I'd sure like to see Papo do a Centrosaurus (for such an iconic dinosaur, it sure does not seem to show up too often), one of the "non-Parasaurolophus" duckbills would be cool, like a Lambeosaurus, Saurolophus, or even an Edmontosaurus (of course, these might be considered "too ordinary" for Papo). Any tyrannosaur that is NOT a T. rex would be nice.......any love for Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus?
And as for mammals, I'd really like to see Papo's take on a Megatherium and a Doedicurus.

Joey

Did you mean to post that in the Papo 2019 hopes and dreams thread?

hao_bao

Quote from: apatosaurus3232 on January 07, 2018, 12:12:30 AM
Honestly when the first photos leaked I thought the Amargasaurus was from Schleich lol.

I thought maybe Collect-A or Safari, since their models tend to be very cartoonish and sloppily painted.

suspsy

Quote from: hao_bao on January 11, 2018, 10:58:40 AM

I thought maybe Collect-A or Safari, since their models tend to be very cartoonish and sloppily painted.

I've reported you to the mods, just as I did yesterday. I don't know why you're trying to start up this divisive argument all over again.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

hao_bao

Quote from: suspsy on January 11, 2018, 01:35:54 PM

I've reported you to the mods, just as I did yesterday. I don't know why you're trying to start up this divisive argument all over again.

I do apologise, I thought my internet was playing up again which is why I reposted, I didn't think for one moment that my comment might have been deleted. It apears SyndicateBias was wise for not wanting to offer an opinion, knowing about the community's sensitivity towards CollectA and Safari. Perhaps this isn't the right forum for me then, I'm not used to personal opinions being censored in this way. I'm very much an advocate for free exchange of ideas and open discussion. I apologise if anyone has been offended by my aversion towards the aforementioned toys. Peace and goodwill to all.

suspsy

Quote from: hao_bao on January 11, 2018, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 11, 2018, 01:35:54 PM

I do apologise, I thought my internet was playing up again which is why I reposted, I didn't think for one moment that my comment might have been deleted. Perhaps this isn't the right forum for me then, I'm not used to personal opinions being censored in this way. I'm very much an advocate for free exchange of ideas and open discussion. I apologise if anyone has been offended by my aversion towards the aforementioned toys. Peace and goodwill to all.

It's not a matter of personal opinions being censored; it's a matter of your statement being unnecessarily provocative, especially in light of the fact that another individual recently stirred up conflict in multiple threads, including this one, by denigrating Safari and CollectA in order to praise Papo. It is perfectly possible and generally ideal to express one's love for Papo without bashing other popular companies in the process.

But it's good that you apologized. Thank you.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

hao_bao

I realised I overstepped the line so I hope we can put this behind us.

Syndicate Bias

Even individuals with constructive opinions have been bashed for it. One cannot speak for everyone in this community that it's not about censored opinions. To do so would be ignorant of what others have done.

Reptilia

This argument have become ultra boring, from both sides, and despite I normally do not favour any type of censorship I strongly encourage Dr Admin to delete all posts involved, including mine, and revert the last post here to reply #612. The discussion have been derailed by such pointless crap enough already.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: