News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minmiminime

"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Welcome to the Andre forum and thanks for the link the quetzalcoatlus looks spectacular. I hope it is a medium-large size or rather said pulling big as the baryonyx Papo.  :)

I like his figure very much, even more than others of the same company super exact as is the tupuxuara (beautiful but inspired by Sideshow) the difference that has the quetzalcoatlus is that they have innovated in a figure with a dynamic pose more avant-garde and new.  8)

Lanthanotus

It looks more subdued than I initially thought... I guess I understand what Witton ment with the impossible stance. However, it looks also as if it wasn't naked but got some pycnofibers and it really looks like the usual high quality Papo sculpt :)

Patrx

Man, that Quetz isn't exactly the graceful, leggy thing one usually sees in modern reconstructions, is it? I wonder if the sculptor was still thinking of it as an animal that would have been awkward on the ground? Still, that's definitely fuzz, so, credit is due there  :)

PhilSauria

The more I see of this one the more I like it. Looks very naturalistic, like an actual animal as distinct from a stylised or decorative interpretation. Just hope that it's a decent size as befits the largest animal that ever flew. Looks like it may be the same sculptor responsible for their Tupuxuara, one of my favorite Pterosaur models.

yankeetrex

Quote from: Katieraptor on January 26, 2018, 06:01:36 PM
Quote from: yankeetrex on January 26, 2018, 02:35:32 PM
Anyone know if Papo has a presence at the NYC Toy Fair?

I googled it for you. Does this help at all?

I appreciate the googling, but I was just asking because people on here are knowledgeable about all kinds of things and I like to discuss with others. I will be attending and would take photos of their booth if they have one. 

Reptilia

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 26, 2018, 10:20:20 PM
The more I see of this one the more I like it. Looks very naturalistic, like an actual animal as distinct from a stylised or decorative interpretation. Just hope that it's a decent size as befits the largest animal that ever flew. Looks like it may be the same sculptor responsible for their Tupuxuara, one of my favorite Pterosaur models.

Agree on everything. And yes, same sculptor as the Tupuxuara. Think I already know the position for displaying this beautiful monster! And with monster I mean the size, which I bet will be similar to that of the Kaprosuchus. Papo definitely added another bunch of lovely beasts this year. Also, first post updated with new pics.

ITdactyl

Nice.
I initially didn't understand the misgivings people had with the crouching Papo model - I mean, here is a very dynamic representation of the animal.  And then I realized most toy figures are in an active pose: pouncing, roaring, running, flying, launching etc.  Very rarely do we have figures that are reacting to something else.  I laud Papo for having that theme - The Apatosaurs, Tupuxuara, Therizinosaurus, and Quetz all seem to be reacting to another approaching creature.  Come to think of it, most of their line that can be considered "prey" species seem to be on a defensive/reactive posture.

Personally though, I'd rather imagine this quetz as one about to quad-launch. (I'll probably repaint the eyes so they look forward rather than upward)

On an off-topic sidenote, I also realized we don't have any toy models of Azhdarchids in the standard walking posture* - at all.  (and by walking posture I meant legs in stride, head raised)

from the top of my head we have toys in the standing pose made by Collecta and Recur.
But all the walking models are either from Shapeways or are resin figures:  Shapeways (Vitamin Imagination, Mesozoic Miniatures), MIXVS MINIMAX, Cretaceous Creations

Faelrin

Even if that Quetzalcoatlus isn't perfect in its anatomy, or pose, which seems a bit bat like, compared to the reptilian giraffe stork pose, I still like it so far. I'm sure it will look interesting in dioramas in someway.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dyscrasia

I am planning to get all the new Papo dinosaurs and Quetzalcoatlus except for that atrocious Amargasaurus.

I hope that the actual product looks as good as these stock photos.

Therizinosaurus was quite a surprise.

CityRaptor

Kinda looks like it is keeping its head down for some reason, but then notices something.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

maybe it's about to gobble a dead prey but another Quetz is about to steal it from above
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Yes, that sounds reasonable.
Oh no

Shonisaurus

It seems as if the Quetzalcoatlus Papo in his position was in the gleaning of the carrion of a sauropod or dead hadrosaur like a scavenger vulture, or ready to gulp his guts.

Of course the position is very dynamic and the most important avant-garde. I said hopefully that the quetzalcoatlus that is marketed is equal to or better than the prototype or the promotional photos.

Finishing, I hope it is of a considerable size since this pterosaur was one of the largest found until the date.

We just need to have more news or better said photos, apart from the commercials of iguanodon and Papo's compsognathus apart from more photos (and not promotional) of the quetzalcoatlus.

Except the amargasaurus the rest of the figures of Papo have gone great.  8)

I prefer the therizinosaurus and quetzalcoatlus in my case as my favorite figures.  :)

Reptilia

Definitely Acro, Theri and Quetz is my trio now. Everyone's saying they're gonna pass on the Amargasaurus, so maybe if the sales are poor Papo could just retire the figure and make a better version in the near future?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Reptilia on January 27, 2018, 02:32:59 PM
Definitely Acro, Theri and Quetz is my trio now. Everyone's saying they're gonna pass on the Amargasaurus, so maybe if the sales are poor Papo could just retire the figure and make a better version in the near future?

Hopefully that happens, they can do much better than that.

Flaffy

The person who approved that Amargasaurus to be mass produced and sold alongside the rest of their fabulous offerings should be fired  and banished  >:D

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on January 27, 2018, 02:32:59 PM
so maybe if the sales are poor Papo could just retire the figure and make a better version in the near future?

Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon.

CityRaptor

If the sales are poor, they might retire it, but I don't think they would replace it. Bad sales might be blamed on the choice of species instead.
Oh no

terrorchicken

anyone else think "wyvern" when they see that Quetzal? I think thats why I like it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: