News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Thanks Atokensis for the news. I'm glad that therizinosaurus is the biggest dinosaur made this year by Papo.  8)  :)

I am afraid that the quetzalcoatlus will take even longer than the therizinosaurus and the iguanodon. That means savings to our accounts, but the wait can last an eternity at least in my case.  :-\

Reptilia

These are old news, from november when the first batch of new Papos was announced. When the remaining three were revealed few days later they said the Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus were first quarter releases, so january-april, while the Iguanodon was expected later in the year. You can never tell with Papo though, mainly cause it depends on the seller. Everything Dinosaur usually gets stuff in stock later than german retailers, for example. In fact Urzeitshop already has the Amargasaurus and the young Spinosaurus up for sale.

Atokensis

Quote from: Reptilia on February 26, 2018, 08:00:45 PM
These are old news, from november when the first batch of new Papos was announced. When the remaining three were revealed few days later they said the Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus were first quarter releases, so january-april, while the Iguanodon was expected later in the year. You can never tell with Papo though, mainly cause it depends on the seller. Everything Dinosaur usually gets stuff in stock later than german retailers, for example. In fact Urzeitshop already has the Amargasaurus and the young Spinosaurus up for sale.

That's very interesting news!

Reptilia

A couple of new shots:

Shonisaurus

The Papo therizinosaurus for each photo that is revealed I see it as the best Papo figure of this year along with the quetzalcoatlus will make a good pair with the tyrannosaurus rex running from Papo or with the baryonyx of Papo.  8)

As for the acrocanthosaurus, for my part, everything said is a magnificent figure and it does not stop being an "old acquaintance" although with a new "look".  ;)

DragonRider02

I can't wait to grab Therizinosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus they're Beautiful!!
But according to their size they'll be probably damn expensive...

Shonisaurus

Quote from: DragonRider02 on March 12, 2018, 05:41:24 PM

The therizinosaurus is worth 25.10 euros link from http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Papo-Figuren/Papo-Prehistoric-Line/Papo-55069-Therizinosaurus::10651.html

The quetzalcoatlus is worth 20.60 euros link from http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Papo-Figuren/Papo-Prehistoric-Line/Papo-55073-Quetzalcoatlus::10655.html

Hope that helps,  :)

Minmiminime

It's great to see some close-up pics, those sculpts are so detailed! The Acro looks pretty frightening and eerie with that colour scheme, very impressive. I can just make out part of the Iguanodon behind that beautiful Theri. Looks like there's detail aplenty going on there too, though that jaw joint looks like a saggy jowl... can't help but wish they hadn't done that. I'm sure some talented members of the forum will find ways to fix it ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

I would dare to say that in this year Papo has exceeded in quality with regard to this year his figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with respect to the figures of the year 2017.  :))

EmperorDinobot

I've always wondered if Papo and Universal Studios have some manner of link? Because all of their dinosaurs have that JP Universal look. To me these are nothing more than highly detailed Jurassic Park dinosaurs, except they're sold by Papo.

mgaguilar

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on March 12, 2018, 10:42:21 PM
I've always wondered if Papo and Universal Studios have some manner of link? Because all of their dinosaurs have that JP Universal look. To me these are nothing more than highly detailed Jurassic Park dinosaurs, except they're sold by Papo.

I mean, that was the entire premise for their highly-detailed The Dinosaur line, beginning with the Green T.rex, which had (basically) a carbon-copy skull sculpt of the JP/// T.rex.
I'm sure they're not linked, otherwise Papo would definitely upsell and market the license. They are taking advantage of the media success, as many companies have now done.

CityRaptor

Their Dilophosaurus however is based on Sideshow rather than JP.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Syndicate Bias

If that's true then where did they get the acrocanthosaurus and allosaurus and feathered raptor and apatosaurus and styracosaurus and cryolophosaurus and Ceratosaurus from if they apparently also are from Jurassic Park? i don't remember the Ceratosaurus looking anything like the green papo variant at all as well as many other papos i see. i think papo has been leaning less and less on Jurassic park as the years go by, unlike rebor that relies heavily on them these days

Shonisaurus

Certainly not all of Papo's figures are based on the Jurassic Park movie there are many figures with their own invoices, for example Papo's polacanthus, other figures are inspired by Sideshow figures such as tupuxuara or carnotaurus and others in Disney films , with the nuance that the figures of Papo are very detailed.

Reptilia

I like Papo still occasionally relying on JP, but they take plenty of other inspirations from pop culture and I don't feel like any of their recent masterpieces give any particular JP vibe. Most of Mr Seo latest works are quite arty, and comparable to resin kits and high-end models (I'm thinking to the Baryonyx, the Acrocanthosaurus and the upcoming Therizinosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus), so I think the usual Papo = JP equation is working less and less these days.

DragonRider02

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 12, 2018, 05:57:38 PM
Quote from: DragonRider02 on March 12, 2018, 05:41:24 PM

The therizinosaurus is worth 25.10 euros link from http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Papo-Figuren/Papo-Prehistoric-Line/Papo-55069-Therizinosaurus::10651.html

The quetzalcoatlus is worth 20.60 euros link from http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Papo-Figuren/Papo-Prehistoric-Line/Papo-55073-Quetzalcoatlus::10655.html

Hope that helps,  :)
Thanks!! I though they'll cost more.

Syndicate Bias

I wonder where will they get their Giganotosaurus inspiration from

Sim

Quote from: SyndicateBias on March 13, 2018, 11:52:18 PM
I wonder where will they get their Giganotosaurus inspiration from

Huh?  In that Eofauna thread didn't you say Papo doesn't want to make a Giganotosaurus?

:P

Syndicate Bias

Oh nah that's just me being pessimistic about it because of my disappointment with 2018 not having a Giganotosaurus, thus why i got the Vitae one and im in the process of getting the resin lit Giganotosaurus from Shane Foulkes and in a few months or weeks ill also be getting Sean Coopers Carcharodontosaurus resin kit because literally Papo nor Rebor will probably make it anytime soon so rip my wallet ;D

SpartanSquat

If allosaurus is based on Brett Booth, the mini model is based in Booth Tyrannotitan

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: