News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Probably cause I'm accustomed to Papo's habit of giving the feature exclusively to their carnivores, up until 2018. Other than that I see carnivores as more appealing with the two options the articulated jaw gives, while I don't see that necessary at all on herbivores. I understand that it might sound just like a childish idea of "carnivores being the evil ones biting the herbivores", hence the need of articulated jaws on them, but that's how I see it for now. Maybe I'll get to change my mind when the Iguanodon will join my collection.

Patrx

Nah, that makes a kind of sense. I don't generally like articulation at all, but Papo seem to have a knack for it; so I'm curious to see what the Iguanodon's like in person.

Syndicate Bias

well according to ED Quetzal wont arrive till June or July. which makes me wonder if the acrocanthosaurus will come sooner hopefully since its just a repaint. and the compy.  the baby spino is already on sale on eBay.

postsaurischian

I will never understand how people keep on buying figures they don't like just for the sake of completeness.
This makes it easy for companies like Papo to make money with sloppy sculpts like the Amargasaurus or their inflationary tedious re-paints. Having better colours doesn't make their Acrocanthosaurus a good figure.
This year I'll get me their Therizinosaurus, Compsognathus and Quetzalcoatlus. The rest is an easy pass for me.

hao_bao

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 20, 2018, 08:41:37 AM
I will never understand how people keep on buying figures they don't like just for the sake of completeness.
This makes it easy for companies like Papo to make money with sloppy sculpts like the Amargasaurus or their inflationary tedious re-paints. Having better colours doesn't make their Acrocanthosaurus a good figure.
This year I'll get me their Therizinosaurus, Compsognathus and Quetzalcoatlus. The rest is an easy pass for me.

Ah, you're not a collector I see! It's a creed that must be appeased. I'm not sure collectors are a big enough market to impact the purchase of badly made models, enough people will boycott them anyway.

postsaurischian

Quote from: hao_bao on February 20, 2018, 01:11:11 PM
Ah, you're not a collector I see! .......

??? Uhm ..? .... okay ...

My purse tells something different ;D.

sauroid

LMAO i guess you haven't seen that mythical DTF thread called "Beautiful Dinosaur Mix". :D
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 20, 2018, 08:41:37 AM

Ah, you're not a collector I see! It's a creed that must be appeased. I'm not sure collectors are a big enough market to impact the purchase of badly made models, enough people will boycott them anyway.

In my case, it's like collecting stamps. Some will like more and others less, the amargasaurus Papo may not be my favorite figure this year but that does not mean I buy it and display it on my shelves.

A true collector (for example, a collector of paintings) has works by all the painters of all times, regardless of whether they like a certain period of the painting more and are less interested in another.

In that is the secret of a consecrated collector.  ;)

Patrx

My wallet, my shelves, and I are fortunate that I lack the completionist drive. It seems that some people take special joy in having "complete sets" of one sort or another, which is well and good, but probably very expensive and cluttered!

Syndicate Bias

eh, i collect what i like. i admire those that have an entire collection of papo or rebor but for me its more about collecting certain dinosaurs like the giganotosaurus in several different models

postsaurischian

....... It's a creed that must be appeased. .......

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 20, 2018, 03:05:46 PM
....... In that is the secret of a consecrated collector.  ;)

Thanks for the answers! Now I understand. It's a religious thing.
This might be the reason I didn't understand it in the first place. I'm not religious at all.
Sorry if I caused any inconveniences.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on February 20, 2018, 03:22:07 PM
My wallet, my shelves, and I are fortunate that I lack the completionist drive. It seems that some people take special joy in having "complete sets" of one sort or another, which is well and good, but probably very expensive and cluttered!

I have nowhere near complete sets of everything and my collection is still expensive and cluttered... lol

Reptilia

Another non-completist here, and also a genuine hater of repaints, at least ever since they went rainbow. The Acrocanthosaurus though is a complete different thing. It has become one of my favourite Papos, despite its questionable colour scheme, so the upcoming repaint comes as a blessing to finally redeem this great figurine!

tanystropheus

Aside from repaints, the Papo dinosaur line is the easiest line to complete for wannabe or beginner completists.

And, the Acro is amazing.

Syndicate Bias

how? the papo brown Rex and raptor are hard to come by. well as long as you're willing to pay 80-120 dollars there's a bunch of brown raptors on eBay right now but the brown running Rex is something i haven't seen yet.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SyndicateBias on February 21, 2018, 12:46:17 AM
how? the papo brown Rex and raptor are hard to come by. well as long as you're willing to pay 80-120 dollars there's a bunch of brown raptors on eBay right now but the brown running Rex is something i haven't seen yet.

Just commission paint it brown. Nobody will know the difference (as long as you don't try to resell it as the original...that would be ethically wrong  8) )

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on February 19, 2018, 09:33:22 PM
Nah, that makes a kind of sense. I don't generally like articulation at all, but Papo seem to have a knack for it; so I'm curious to see what the Iguanodon's like in person.

Quote from: Reptilia on February 19, 2018, 09:27:29 PM
Probably cause I'm accustomed to Papo's habit of giving the feature exclusively to their carnivores, up until 2018. Other than that I see carnivores as more appealing with the two options the articulated jaw gives, while I don't see that necessary at all on herbivores. I understand that it might sound just like a childish idea of "carnivores being the evil ones biting the herbivores", hence the need of articulated jaws on them, but that's how I see it for now. Maybe I'll get to change my mind when the Iguanodon will join my collection.

I am not wild about articulation either, but I think there's a good reason it looks weirder on herbivores. On average, carnivores have larger gapes and longer jaws, so a bulky joint interferes aesthetically with a smaller proportion of the total jaw. Also, carnivores tend to move their jaws more or less in a single plane, whereas herbivores often have complex rolling jaw motions (ever watch an ungulate chew?), so the one-plane action you get with a toy articulation looks less natural.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 21, 2018, 12:49:39 AM
Quote from: Patrx on February 19, 2018, 09:33:22 PM

Quote from: Reptilia on February 19, 2018, 09:27:29 PM

I am not wild about articulation either, but I think there's a good reason it looks weirder on herbivores. On average, carnivores have larger gapes and longer jaws, so a bulky joint interferes aesthetically with a smaller proportion of the total jaw. Also, carnivores tend to move their jaws more or less in a single plane, whereas herbivores often have complex rolling jaw motions (ever watch an ungulate chew?), so the one-plane action you get with a toy articulation looks less natural.

I think you nailed it. Excellent response!

Atokensis

I'll be getting the Acrocanthosaurus, Compsognathus, Quetzaloatlus, Therizinosaurus and maybe the Iguanodon despite the articulated jaw (personally don't like it either).

Shonisaurus

Although I will buy all the novelties of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo 2018 with the exception of the prehistoric man, I sincerely repeat my favorites are quetzalcoatlus, therizinosaurus and acrocanthosaurus with a new look of paint.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: