News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atokensis

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 22, 2018, 05:35:03 PM
Although I will buy all the novelties of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo 2018 with the exception of the prehistoric man, I sincerely repeat my favorites are quetzalcoatlus, therizinosaurus and acrocanthosaurus with a new look of paint.  :)

Indeed, those too are my three most anticipated figures.

japfeif

Quote from: Patrx on February 20, 2018, 03:22:07 PM
My wallet, my shelves, and I are fortunate that I lack the completionist drive. It seems that some people take special joy in having "complete sets" of one sort or another, which is well and good, but probably very expensive and cluttered!

I am a completist to a degree. Aside from Papo (which I just happen to love and so I have every figure and repaints, except for the ever-elusive brown T. rex), what I do in the other 3 companies I collect (CollectA, Wild Safari, & Schleich World of History), I collect every GENUS, so I have one of each different genus of dinosaur, but I only keep the latest & most up-to-date versions. For example, once Wild Safari just came out with their new Triceratops, the previous Trike went to the "need to list on eBay" pile. So I'm still stuck for now with the old Safari Gorgosaurus, which is dreadful, but if they ever come out with a new & improved figure, this one will go.

I have accumulated quite a box of outdated versions of CollectA, Safari, & Schleich (well, not as many Schleich as they don't seem to come out with updates as often) that one of these days I need to try and sell. I know that many of these are not "out of production" and may become valuable, but their generally cartoon-y and outdated look makes me not like them and so no reason to keep them.

But that said, as I mentioned I DO keep one of each different dinosaur, even if the most recent version is a dozen years old and even if the animal is question is not one of my favorite animals. I have little interest in sauropods, for example, but I certainly get all the new ones each year (even the dreaded new Papo Amargasaurus will soon be occupying my shelf!)

mgaguilar

I am absolutely LOVING the size of that Quetzal; looks to be larger than the Iguanodon and comparable to the Acro.
Does anyone know if it is to scale with any of the Theropods? I will definitely be picking it up.

Atokensis

Also it looks like the Quetzalcoatlus is going to have an articulated UPPER jaw instead of the lower jaw, similar to the Kaprosuchus.

pako

I am a Papo completist too (except the prehistoric figures), I have them all including the brown running rex and I am planning on getting all the new ones except the prehistoric figures.
It's an average of 100 euros per year to get the new ones, plus I buy and sell some figures which auto-finance my collection, wife is happy. ;D

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Atokensis on February 23, 2018, 07:49:11 AM
Also it looks like the Quetzalcoatlus is going to have an articulated UPPER jaw instead of the lower jaw, similar to the Kaprosuchus.

I did not know Atokensis, this makes the quetzalcoatlus even more interesting and realistic for me.   ;D The downside is that we will have to wait for them to release all the figures on the market unfortunately at least by mid-year, spring-summer, at least in my case it will take me a lot longer since I buy the figures in the store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid. In physical stores the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals take longer than in online stores.

I simply do it for deference and friendship to a family store. The wait is worth it.

Atokensis

Jurassic Collectable's review on the 2018 papo Armagasaurus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlGV8dvf9c

Reptilia

It seems to be slightly, very slightly, better at a closer look. But still a pretty bad figure for Papo's usual high standards. I'd like to see a comparison with the Tylosaurus and the Polacanthus, which are suspected to be all work of the same sculptor. At the end of the video the guy mistake the Acrocanthosaurus for a Carcharodontosaurus, I just hope that now people won't start asking if Papo has a surprise Carcharodontosaurus on the way!

On a side note, how can't he realize that sipping tea right in the microphone sounds totally disgusting?

PhilSauria

Yeah, David 'Jurassic Collectables' does like his tea! I have been following his video reviews for a couple of years and like his delivery and clear close up camera work (tea sipping aside!). He is a dedicated Jurassic Park and Papo collector (no need to spell out why an interest in one would relate to the other) and I have made more than a few buys after seeing his reviews. This one may actually get me placing an order for the Amargasaurus! While not up to Papo standards it is a decent figure and my Sauropod focus needs a fix. The museum in the city where I live (Melbourne Australia) has an Amargasaurus skeleton, posed rearing up against a wall so its head reaches the viewing area on the next level, so I feel privelaged in being able to get up close to this fossil / cast. The only other Amarg I have is the CollectA one, despite its short tale, though I seem to be in a minority with my liking of it. If only the PNSO figure wasn't tied up in whatever problems beset that company at the moment.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on February 23, 2018, 08:55:43 PM

On a side note, how can't he realize that sipping tea right in the microphone sounds totally disgusting?

Maybe it is really an ASMR video masquerading as toy review.

Bokisaurus

Hmmm, still not that impressed with this figure... really, maybe if it did have that huge unicorn horn! :))

Minmiminime

It's...got a lot of factors in its favour. It's close to being a good figure; with modification around those ghoulish, sunken eyes, the removal of that random spare horn, and a new paint job it could redeem itself a bit. There's just something incredibly off-putting about those eyes :o
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

It's not as awful as the stock photo but it's still horrendous

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Minmiminime on February 23, 2018, 11:37:24 PM
It's...got a lot of factors in its favour. It's close to being a good figure; with modification around those ghoulish, sunken eyes, the removal of that random spare horn, and a new paint job it could redeem itself a bit. There's just something incredibly off-putting about those eyes :o

I agree, the eyes it's what killed it for me, aside from the fact that the skin detail feels different from Papo's usual style. But those eyes... :-\

Syndicate Bias

does anyone here know any good paints to repaint the acro

tanystropheus

Quote from: SyndicateBias on February 24, 2018, 12:58:09 AM
does anyone here know any good paints to repaint the acro

For Acro v.1 or Acro v.2 ?

Syndicate Bias

first one. since second wont be here till phase two which is months away. im buying another vitae Giganotosaurus and papo acrocanthosaurus to repaint and experiment on. if anyone knows anything about modifying a plastic like the giganotosaurus from vitae lemme know please im trying to add musculature to its legs and make the feet bigger not rebor big but ya know

Shonisaurus

First of all, thank you very much Atokensis for passing us this sensational video of jurassic collectables, I have always liked the videos of this internet user.

On the other hand the figure sincerely and independently that for reasons of collecting I'm going to buy does not seem like a big thing, honestly. What I do like is how the claws on the front legs are put, they really seem to be put on correctly, (as a note I am a complete ignorant of paleontology) and on the other hand the eyes are another thing that fascinates me about this figure .

But honestly it is a very unfortunately finished figure, and from my point of view and with all my respects to the sculptor of the paleoartistic work, in comparison with the tyrannosaurus rex and the brachiosaurus of the same company there is a difference abyssal.

The colors of this figure are very little care, I understand that you can give a figure conservative colors (which I like a lot in dinosaurs and I am a supporter) as it happens with the Papa brachiosaurus without removing splendor and beauty to that figure, this unfortunately it does not happen with the amargasaurus. On the other hand sincerely that unicorn does not favor amargasaurus.

The sculptor I believe that he has not made much effort in the realization of this figure from my humble point of view and is not up to the vast majority of the figures of Papo who are great and among them is not up to their two great sauropods sincerely speaking.

On the other hand, the criticism of the polacanthus compared to the amargasaurus sincerely I have this figure in my stanzas of my room and is a more than acceptable figure regardless of the paleoartistic interpretation they have made to this animal and is much better finished in both appears as in videos to said figure of 2017.

My sincere opinion is that it is by far the weakest figure of this year 2018 by the company Papo by far and I understand that in this work the paleoescultores have not made enough effort even if it is a figure destined to mass production and consumption on all of children independently that collectors buy them.

I expected a better thing from Papo with respect to that figure sincerely speaking and I hoped he had been at the same level as his other two great sauropods, the brachiosaurus and diplodocus and I say this with all the affection and respect towards this company whose figures we are favorably surprised in the totality of cases by dinosaur toy collectors.

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 23, 2018, 11:03:18 PM
Maybe it is really an ASMR video masquerading as toy review.

Quite a disgusting one then!  :P

Atokensis

According to the EverythingDinosaur blog,

"The new Papo Therizinosaurus dinosaur model is expected to arrive sometime in quarter 2 (March to the end of June 2018), it too, will possess an articulated jaw, like the young Spinosaurus replica.  We have yet to have formal confirmation of the measurements, but we at Everything Dinosaur, believe that this is going to be Papo's largest prehistoric animal model introduced next year. The sculpt is very typically Papo, with the design team favouring a more scaly representation, with feathers confined mainly to the arms and to that stubby tail.  The posture is interesting, with the left foot raised resulting in the replica balancing on the toe claws, reminiscent of the stance seen in the 2017 Papo Ceratosaurus.

Expected to arrive around the same time as the Therizinosaurus replica is this fascinating model of Iguanodon.  It certainly is a very robust looking dinosaur and the limb proportions suggest that this model is based upon Iguanodon bernissartensis, which makes sense as fossils of this herbivorous dinosaur have been found in France, as well as elsewhere within Europe.  The Papo Iguanodon will have an articulated jaw."

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/11/19/papo-new-prehistoric-animal-models-for-2018.html

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: