News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on March 14, 2018, 10:47:16 PM
I am SOOOOOOOO tempted by that repainted Acrocathosaurus .... despite the mega-sized feet ... that and the rearing Therezinosaurus .... they may not be 100% accurate, but as figures they are FINE!!!!   :o :o

The pregnant Iguanodon looks pretty cool as well.

Syndicate Bias

Get them all honestly they are still great work of art! Maybe not accuracy wise but sculpting wise they are very well done, that acro will join my shelf as soon as it comes out  :D

mgaguilar

You also can't deny those prices.
I thought the Therizinosaurus was going to be as expensive as the Spino, but it's actually cheaper.
And that Acro...all the photos so far make me want to do some Jaguar/Tiger inspired repaints.

tyrantqueen

QuoteShrink-wrapped, weird head, giant feet, no tail muscles, bulging nonsensical leg muscles, the list goes on

So....typical Papo problems then :P

EmperorDinobot

That Acrocanthosaurus does not look bad. Shrink-wrapped, but not...not bad. Very fearsome.

Reptilia

Can't wait for the new Acrocanthosaurus!

Patrx

Well, the new paint on the Acro is definitely an improvement, even though I am a fan of purple.

Dyscrasia

More pics from the Paleo-Nerd facebook page

Shonisaurus

It is true that the figures of Papo are not scientific are based on pop art but that does not mean that they are minutely detailed and beautifully painted in its vast majority.

In terms of precision there are precise figures such as tupuxuara or diplodocus that are based on works by Sideshow. I honestly like them despite their shortcomings, but for example the therizinosaurus that has so many criticisms has to agree that from that species of prehistoric animal is very little known from the paleontological point of view and its paleoartistic recreations are still based on mere conjectures we will have to wait until we find (in the best of cases) a skeleton or some remains that can decipher what this enigmatic dinosaur was really like as it happened with the deinocheirus. Of the quetzalcoatlus we do not have as much information as we fortunately have of other pterosaurs like the pteranodon for putting a relevant example.

All this said despite the criticism I like to rage the figures of Papo for the detailed and the only thing that I'm not a supporter is their jaws articulated as I have repeated countless times. However, quetzalcoatlus, therizinosaurus and acrocanthosaurus do not have to envy any resin figure for their details and their painting and although they are not precise paleoartistically I am very happy with Papo this year.  :D

Another case is the amargasaurus that although I'm going to buy it (I've seen it on the shelves of a toy store in my city) I'm not enthusiastic about it. The amargasaurus looks even worse unfortunately in person than in photography from my honest point of view. Unless you are a consecrated collector I would not recommend this figure very much. By together is the only figure of Papo of which I have complaints the rest are within the range from notable to outstanding.  :)  :))

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 15, 2018, 09:39:19 AM
QuoteShrink-wrapped, weird head, giant feet, no tail muscles, bulging nonsensical leg muscles, the list goes on

So....typical Papo problems then :P

Some like to call these "artistic licenses" XD

Reptilia

Quote from: Dyscrasia on March 15, 2018, 03:20:52 PM
More pics from the Paleo-Nerd facebook page

I believe Paleo-Nerd got them here, I posted the very same images the page before this.

Syndicate Bias

i wish i was the one that took those pics, i would've grabbed them.all and taken them home  :-X

Minmiminime

The detail on that Theri is amazing. Those teeny little teeth in the jaws! Definitely more art than science, but every pic I see makes me love it a little more..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Minmiminime on March 15, 2018, 09:46:01 PM
The detail on that Theri is amazing. Those teeny little teeth in the jaws! Definitely more art than science, but every pic I see makes me love it a little more..!

The figures of Papo dinosaurs are of the style many of them to the paleoart of Brett Booth, they are not perhaps very precise scientifically but they are artistically outstanding. I hope all of them are commercialized. They are great and gorgeus.  8)

Totally in agreement with you Minmiminime.  ;)

Reptilia

Quote from: Minmiminime on March 15, 2018, 09:46:01 PM
Definitely more art than science

You nailed it, Papo is basically fine art.

Syndicate Bias

all the more reason to buy them for me. Would be nice to see a line that focuses on accuracy over anything but i don't think a single line has had all the dinosaurs being accurate

Reptilia

Maybe Eofauna's will be that line. Sure they have the potential.

Syndicate Bias

what do we know so far of Eofauna? What are their plans or rumours exactly?

Reptilia

After the straight-tusked elephant they should make a dinosaur, at least that's what they hinted at. Hopefully before the end of this year we'll see their first dinosaur figurine.

Syndicate Bias

hmm, im.hoping they come out with something new, maybe a fully feathered yuty or maybe an amargasaurus that can rival PNSO's lost one

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: