News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Does Papo still clay sculpt theirs? I know Rebor digitally sculpts which makes me wonder if its easier in the sense that i have a little more respect for actual sculpting

Ravonium

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 18, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
Does Papo still clay sculpt theirs?

I've read somewhere on this forum that someone on a different forum found a Papo Octopus figure with 3d printing layers*, so, for at least some of their figures, no

*here

I have their cave bear figure, and I can safely say that it is obvious that at least some early prototypes were 3d printed.

Syndicate Bias

what about Mr.Seo with his dinosaurs? I saw somewhere pictures of his allo in pre production with the armaments and stuff to put clay on. Is that still a thing though? Because Rebor models have the stamped look while papo seems more organic with their dinosaurs. I don't know if digital sculpting is easier but if it is it kinda takes away from the value of a sculpt to me at least, like when rebor compares their figures to papo as the two best while dissing Safari but Rebor 3d prints which to me since im not sure if easier( i believe it is bit i don't know) is kinda like less impressive in my own opinion.

Ravonium

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 18, 2018, 06:11:00 PM
what about Mr.Seo with his dinosaurs?

I don't think Mr. Seo uses digital sculpting. Both of those figures I mentioned are not his sculpts (to my knowledge).

Atokensis

Most excited for papo's Acrocanthosaurus, Therizinosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus this year. I'll also be getting the Iguanodon and Compsognathus. Speaking of the Compsognathus, we haven't seen any photos of it aside from the stock image. Where could they be hiding?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Atokensis on March 21, 2018, 12:46:46 AM
Most excited for papo's Acrocanthosaurus, Therizinosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus this year. I'll also be getting the Iguanodon and Compsognathus. Speaking of the Compsognathus, we haven't seen any photos of it aside from the stock image. Where could they be hiding?

It's what I ask myself and I give you the reason, unfortunately we do not have any photos other than the promotional photo of Papo's compsognathus. I think they are slow to reveal that figure as happened last year with dimorphodon.  ???

Reptilia

Yes, we didn't see any actual picture of the Dimorphodon until around september last year. Possibly because that figure entered the production stage later than the others. Might be the same this year with the Compsognathus.

hao_bao

Soon, in a matter of days, the mighty amargasaurus, truly Papo's most impressive sculpt to date, will become available for purchase. The awe inspiring sculpt will, unfortunately, reduce the likes of more recent models to chinasaur gargoyles when placed alongside one another. The spike in quality is unprecendented and urges one to believe that Papo have outdone themselves, indeed, it will be a difficult figure to best in terms of the raw energy it exudes. Children will be positively drooling in their eagerness to run their hands over its wrinkled flanks, ridged neck sinews, and poke inquisitive fingers between its neck sails. I for one have an amarga-shaped space in the display diorama waiting to be filled. This fish-eyes monster will goggle menacingly over the lesser Papo dinosaurs, being only smaller in size than the colossal Brachiosaurus. Get hype! ;D

Reptilia

Quote from: hao_bao on March 25, 2018, 10:32:46 AM
Soon, in a matter of days, the mighty amargasaurus, truly Papo's most impressive sculpt to date, will become available for purchase.

It's already out, for what it's worth.

Shonisaurus

I bought Papo's amargasaurus today at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid and unfortunately it is much worse according to my humble opinion in person and figure that in promotional photographs unfortunately surpasses only the Geoworld brand in this case.  :-\

I am a completeist and have decided to collect every year Papo brand of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals but honestly as if I told a friend I do not recommend it in this case to the members of the forum (unless they are enthusiastic collectors and consecrated as is my case) and I say this with all due respect to the sculptor and the toy brand Papo.

Another thing is the caveman is a much more interesting figure in my collection of Papo 2018 than the amargasaurus and I am sorry to offend any member of the forum but would be a hypocrite if I said otherwise.

SidB

Nothing like "hands-on" to separate the wheat from the chaff!

Syndicate Bias

im hoping they release their second batch already. the first one at least took care of all the lacklustre 2018 dinosaurs

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 25, 2018, 03:00:13 PM
I bought Papo's amargasaurus today at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid and unfortunately it is much worse according to my humble opinion in person and figure that in promotional photographs unfortunately surpasses only the Geoworld brand in this case.  :-\

Do you think it could benefit from a custom repaint?

hao_bao

Quote from: Reptilia on March 25, 2018, 11:42:57 AM
Quote from: hao_bao on March 25, 2018, 10:32:46 AM
Soon, in a matter of days, the mighty amargasaurus, truly Papo's most impressive sculpt to date, will become available for purchase.

It's already out, for what it's worth.

Not where I live!  :))

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 26, 2018, 08:05:10 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 25, 2018, 03:00:13 PM

Do you think it could benefit from a custom repaint?

Perhaps with a touch of paint the amargasaurus would be better, but honestly it is my weak figure this year, although with an aesthetic arrangement, who knows?

On the other hand the texture of the figure I see it sticky reminds me when I bought the adult spinosaurus in its day and now I am saving to buy another new one because it is deteriorated. I hope I'm wrong with the amargasaurus.

Atokensis

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 26, 2018, 04:01:03 AM
im hoping they release their second batch already. the first one at least took care of all the lacklustre 2018 dinosaurs

I second that.

MLMjp

I have not payed attention to this tread thanks to other topics taking my attention(MattelĀ“s toys...)

I must say that after seeing the pictures posted here the only one that really grabs my attention is the Queztalcoatlus, thanks to it size and coloration. The Acrocanthosaurus repaint is ok, but I still prefer the brighter colors of the original. Amargasaurus sometimes looks a little bit better, but it still a bad figure and a definitive pass. I would like to see better pictures of the Iguanodon since I think the ones posted here don't show the figure properly.

Shonisaurus

You forget the therizinosaurus that for me competes in genius with the Quetzalcoatlus Papo and apart from that the therizinosaurus is going to be the largest figure of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo 2018.

A diorama with Papo's baryonyx would be great looking like two boxing or sumo wrestlers.

MLMjp

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 27, 2018, 03:13:44 PM
You forget the therizinosaurus that for me competes in genius with the Quetzalcoatlus Papo and apart from that the therizinosaurus is going to be the largest figure of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo 2018.

A diorama with Papo's baryonyx would be great looking like two boxing or sumo wrestlers.

Yes I forgot about it. Not interested on it, I already have the decently feathered Collecta deluxe version.

SidB

Good idea, Shonisaurus, that could be a whole new category of Mesozoic life - Sumosaurs. It could be a knockout!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: