News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Another video review of the Amargasaurus. It actually looks like something you would see in a vintage paleoart book, in some respects. I think the mystery Papo sculptor has this kind of vintage style, the Tylosaurus and the Polacanthus have the same vibe. It might be a key to appreciate those three models better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_KxrbYkskk

Minmiminime

Maybe...but seeing it like this, it now somehow reminds me of "Edgar" in the original MiB, wearing his badly-fitting and rapidly decaying human corpse in an attempt to disguise himself and fit in :o
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Simon

Make no mistake - the quality of the sculpt is AWFUL - did the sculptor allow his 10-year-old kid to get some practice in, I wonder? 

Accuracy-wise its not as bad as it originally looked in distant shots .... head/face looks OK, as does the pose ...

Reptilia

Every line have their underdogs, Papo makes no exception, but at least they got very few compared to the entire collection. Seems like they rely on the "other sculptor" when they want to release more models than the usual: in 2012 (Tylosaurus) they unleashed six new sculpts, last year (Polacanthus) they were seven, and this year (Amargasaurus) they'll be six again. If they keep it to three per year I guess Mr Seo can easily fulfill the duty by himself.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on March 27, 2018, 11:20:29 PM
Every line have their underdogs, Papo makes no exception, but at least they got very few compared to the entire collection. Seems like they rely on the "other sculptor" when they want to release more models than the usual: in 2012 (Tylosaurus) they unleashed six new sculpts, last year (Polacanthus) they were seven, and this year (Amargasaurus) they'll be six again. If they keep it to three per year I guess Mr Seo can easily fulfill the duty by himself.

It's okay if they rely on the "other sculptor" for a model that no one is expecting (e.g. Placerius, Polacanthus, Plateosaurus... Megatherium...or Sarcosuchus) but to take a fan favorite and botch it up is somewhat criminal, especially since Papo will never have the chance to remake an Amarga again. And, to rub salt in our wounds, Papo is fully capable of making the most aesthetically pleasing Amarga on the planet. The Amarga is such a Papo animal.

I will still get it. It will occupy the back of my collection along with Tylo.

Reptilia

Better Amargasaurus than say Diplodocus, just to stick to sauropods. But I understand what you mean. You can always hope for a complete reboot of the line, but it could take more than a decade for them to revisit Amargasaurus.

Syndicate Bias

Wouldn't it be awesome if they let the other sculptor do the Giganotosaurus?  :)) :)) ;D

Shonisaurus

I prefer the giganotosaurus to be made by the sculptor of figures such as quetzalcoatlus, adult spinosaurus, acrocanthosaurus or therizinosaurus. I believe that if it is that the sculptor can surprise us with a giganotosaurus out of the normal style of the company Papo but for good. Fortunately, all of Papo's theropods give me the impression that they are made by the same sculptor.  :))

Reptilia

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 28, 2018, 05:53:11 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if they let the other sculptor do the Giganotosaurus?  :)) :)) ;D

That could likely provoke a riot! With you at the head, probably.

Archosauria

I've been looking forward to the Quetzalcoatlus and the Therizinosaurus, but I don't think either have been released yet.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Minmiminime

Quote from: Archosauria on March 30, 2018, 08:25:35 AM
I've been looking forward to the Quetzalcoatlus and the Therizinosaurus, but I don't think either have been released yet.

No, sadly not! It looks like the Amargasaurus and the Acro repaint will be the next releases, here in the UK I would imagine that's fairly imminent. The rest will apparently start to trickle through in mid to late summer
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

In the marketing of novelties I praise the Safari brand as they begin to reveal their new products approximately in September-October of each year and before the end of the year they are available in online stores.

Papo unfortunately is excessively delayed when it comes to marketing its news and honestly I think it is a mistake because if they were commercialized before they would rebound to the company in a beneficial way from the economic point of view.

Reptilia

Guys, I don't know why you keep saying the contrary but the Amargasaurus is already available. It's been out for about a month now, alongside the juvenile Spinosaurus and the caveman. Next batch should be Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus, according to the rough release dates Everything Dinosaur provided in november.

Minmiminime

Quote from: Reptilia on March 30, 2018, 11:34:15 AM
Guys, I don't know why you keep saying the contrary but the Amargasaurus is already available. It's been out for about a month now, alongside the juvenile Spinosaurus and the caveman. Next batch should be Acrocanthosaurus and Therizinosaurus, according to the rough release dates Everything Dinosaur provided in november.

Not here in the UK it's not..! We always seem to be behind with Papo, as well as Safari ::)

Reptilia

But it's available from german retailers, I don't live in Germany but if I want to pick it up it's there. If I had to wait for Papo figures to be available in my country I would probably have to wait for years! Maybe that's just cause you people in the UK are used to get your stuff from Everything Dinosaur or other british dealers.

Minmiminime

Aye, that'll be it exactly! I do have a certain loyalty to ED. They're so much more than just a retailer ^-^

Atokensis

Quote from: Reptilia on March 30, 2018, 11:34:15 AM

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/11/19/papo-new-prehistoric-animal-models-for-2018.html
"Quarter 2 (between the end of March and the end of June) – Papo Iguanodon and the Papo Therizinosaurus models."

Isn't it Therizino and Iguanodon?

Reptilia

This was before the second batch reveal, I'm pretty sure that on their Facebook post unveiling the three additional figures there was some indication about the Acrocanthosaurus being a spring release too. Maybe the Acrocanthosaurus, Therizinosaurus and Iguanodon will be wave two, and then Quetzalcoatlus and Compsognathus wave three.

Archosauria

Oh, I forgot about the Iguanodon! It looked great! I hope it's nice in person. I'm definitely going to buy that one.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Archosauria on March 31, 2018, 12:33:03 AM
Oh, I forgot about the Iguanodon! It looked great! I hope it's nice in person. I'm definitely going to buy that one.

The iguanodon Papo based on the movie Disney that is an improved version of the film must be a great figure I would put the score of high note but unfortunately the company Papo has not allowed clear and detailed photos of figures of Papo 2018, which is a pity since that way we would have a better opinion of their figures.

The iguanodon of Papo must be a very cool figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: