News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atokensis

Quote from: Minmiminime on April 05, 2018, 09:07:27 AM
Apparently ED have sold out the new Amargasaurus already! It's not one I'm planning on getting, but clearly there are plenty of people out there who like it's style. The Iguanodon, I'll definitely pick up even though looking at it does drive me so very mad :o ;D

I feel the same way about the Iguanodon.

tanystropheus

Apparently ED have sold out the new Amargasaurus already!

The Amarga is hot stuff! SOLD OUT !! Fastest selling Papo ever.  ^-^

tyrantqueen

What bugs me about the Iguanodon is the large amount of bulging musculature. Especially around the face. Combined with the shrink wrapping, it looks lumpy.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2018, 11:40:28 AM
What bugs me about the Iguanodon is the large amount of bulging musculature. Especially around the face. Combined with the shrink wrapping, it looks lumpy.

I think it's an interpretation of Papo's iguanodon that is based on pop art and in this case with respect to his own commercial philosophy. However it has its charm, although I honestly would not have put jaws articulated, I think you see the seams too. The one with the apapuetada face is an artistic license of this great brand of toys.

Anyway, it is a figure as I have said between notable high and outstanding.

Reptilia

There are lots of completists in this hobby.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reptilia on April 05, 2018, 08:44:48 PM

I wonder if perhaps ED also ordered fewer in anticipation of low demand.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Atokensis

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 06, 2018, 03:33:47 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on April 05, 2018, 08:44:48 PM

I wonder if perhaps ED also ordered fewer in anticipation of low demand.

I was wondering that also, perhaps there were only a few in stock to begin with but who knows..

Minmiminime

I can't wait for the next batch of releases already..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Atokensis

Quote from: Minmiminime on April 06, 2018, 10:40:47 PM

Same here, I hope they release this month. I'll be getting the Acrocanthosaurus, Compsognathus, Iguanodon, Quetzalcoatlus and Therizinosaurus this year.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 05, 2018, 03:19:33 PM

I think it's an interpretation of Papo's iguanodon that is based on pop art and in this case with respect to his own commercial philosophy. However it has its charm, although I honestly would not have put jaws articulated, I think you see the seams too. The one with the apapuetada face is an artistic license of this great brand of toys. .......

Tough luck for Papo! Because CollectA has already released a much better and probably similar sized Iguanodon, I won't buy theirs. For me personally it comes too late.

Minmiminime

Quote from: Atokensis on April 07, 2018, 09:26:39 PM

Same here, I hope they release this month. I'll be getting the Acrocanthosaurus, Compsognathus, Iguanodon, Quetzalcoatlus and Therizinosaurus this year.

Same..! I don't usually pick up JP inspired models any more, and I really only like the original Jurassic Park, but nonetheless I will pick up that "Compsognathus" at some point
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Atokensis on April 07, 2018, 09:26:39 PM

Me too pal. I asked to the museum shop about the new figures and they said me very soon, probably this month or the next one

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 07, 2018, 09:42:11 PM

I think it's an interpretation of Papo's iguanodon that is based on pop art and in this case with respect to his own commercial philosophy. However it has its charm, although I honestly would not have put jaws articulated, I think you see the seams too. The one with the apapuetada face is an artistic license of this great brand of toys. .......

Tough luck for Papo! Because CollectA has already released a much better and probably similar sized Iguanodon, I won't buy theirs. For me personally it comes too late.

Yeah, I probably would have bought the Papo if it had come out in 2017, but the CollectA version is so good that the Papo feels redundant.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Reptilia

Collecta's is superior overall, but if I'm going to get an Iguanodon that will be the Papo.

Minmiminime

I love Iguanodon, so I'll get both :)) Then I'll panic about how I'm going to squeeze 'em into the cabinet afterwards :o

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 08, 2018, 04:30:26 PM

Yeah, I probably would have bought the Papo if it had come out in 2017, but the CollectA version is so good that the Papo feels redundant.

True. Perhaps, also true: the Safari version is so good that the CollectA feels redundant?

I'm glad all 3 Iguanodons have a completely different aesthetic from one another.

tanystropheus

I thought you were a Papo completist?   :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 08, 2018, 07:57:30 PM
Collecta's is superior overall, but if I'm going to get an Iguanodon that will be the Papo.

The CollectA version is comparable to PNSO and Vitae products.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 08, 2018, 11:43:35 PM

I thought you were a Papo completist?   :)

Not at all! The Iguanodon is not the first Papo figure I'm passing on.
I would never get their "Baryonyx" for example.

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 08, 2018, 11:41:14 PM
True. Perhaps, also true: the Safari version is so good that the CollectA feels redundant?

I don't think so, but I have them both, because I like them both and they are in a different scale ;) .

Halichoeres

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 08, 2018, 11:41:14 PM

I'm glad all 3 Iguanodons have a completely different aesthetic from one another.

The Safari doesn't feel redundant to me because, as postsaurischian said, it's a different enough scale to fit with a different kind of collection. I don't have it and its small size is literally the only reason, but it's great if you have like a 1:55 or 1:60 collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: