News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vitae dinosaurs

Started by Mauro "Raptor86", October 29, 2017, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 15, 2021, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 29, 2020, 06:47:38 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 10, 2020, 05:11:08 AM
I just ordered the Vitae Giganotosaurus on eBay from the la-na-time-shop for $24.99 plus $1.99 shipping, USD. Ten were listed as available. This seems unreal, but the order went through. I'm hoping that this is on the level and that the Giganotosaurus is what I actually get, as a "reward" for some late night browsing.Time will tell.
Well, "time" has spoken. My anticipated Vitae Giga has arrived. What did I get? If you check the la-na-time-shop site and click the choices offered, this one pops up (it's image is not initially shown on the first ad). The greatly simplified paint job depicted is what i received. Really, not bad, well blended and certainly not terrible as some have opined, but, of course, not to be compared with the original.The painting in the sensitive areas, such as aorount the mouth, teeth and gum lines is precise, without bleeding. However, the paint on head, back and thighs in particular is quite glossy, almost a bit much in fact. Why, I wondered? Then I remembered the Rebor rep's comment that the paints may be lead based. I can't vouch for that, but perhaps the glossy overcoat is meant as a shield so as to protect the handler from exposure to the lead paint, if that's what it is. This is just speculation.

I know this is an old post, but I came across it looking for info on the Vitae Giga and as the resident head of the official Dinosaur Toy Lead Advisory board, it behooves me to point out that the glossy paint is likely not a shield against the lead, it IS the lead. Lead paint was so commonly used in part because of it's nice looking glossy finish that also offered some degree of scratch resistance. That doesn't mean all glossy paint is lead based, but lead based paint is itself generally glossy.
Well that's really interesting to know. You'll see, if you check the later postings, that I had mine completely repainted, covering the original job. If the original was lead paint, hopefully it's buried alive, so to speak. I any case, I seldom handle the piece and no children ever come near it.
As out local resource person in this matter, D @Dinoguy2 , can you tell me if lead paint sometimes come in a flat coat, or is that unlikely?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on January 15, 2021, 09:35:01 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 15, 2021, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 29, 2020, 06:47:38 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 10, 2020, 05:11:08 AM
I just ordered the Vitae Giganotosaurus on eBay from the la-na-time-shop for $24.99 plus $1.99 shipping, USD. Ten were listed as available. This seems unreal, but the order went through. I'm hoping that this is on the level and that the Giganotosaurus is what I actually get, as a "reward" for some late night browsing.Time will tell.
Well, "time" has spoken. My anticipated Vitae Giga has arrived. What did I get? If you check the la-na-time-shop site and click the choices offered, this one pops up (it's image is not initially shown on the first ad). The greatly simplified paint job depicted is what i received. Really, not bad, well blended and certainly not terrible as some have opined, but, of course, not to be compared with the original.The painting in the sensitive areas, such as aorount the mouth, teeth and gum lines is precise, without bleeding. However, the paint on head, back and thighs in particular is quite glossy, almost a bit much in fact. Why, I wondered? Then I remembered the Rebor rep's comment that the paints may be lead based. I can't vouch for that, but perhaps the glossy overcoat is meant as a shield so as to protect the handler from exposure to the lead paint, if that's what it is. This is just speculation.

I know this is an old post, but I came across it looking for info on the Vitae Giga and as the resident head of the official Dinosaur Toy Lead Advisory board, it behooves me to point out that the glossy paint is likely not a shield against the lead, it IS the lead. Lead paint was so commonly used in part because of it's nice looking glossy finish that also offered some degree of scratch resistance. That doesn't mean all glossy paint is lead based, but lead based paint is itself generally glossy.
Well that's really interesting to know. You'll see, if you check the later postings, that I had mine completely repainted, covering the original job. If the original was lead paint, hopefully it's buried alive, so to speak. I any case, I seldom handle the piece and no children ever come near it.
As out local resource person in this matter, D @Dinoguy2 , can you tell me if lead paint sometimes come in a flat coat, or is that unlikely?

Repainting should definitely do the trick! I believe lead paint can come in flat colors as well, but at least in the old days glossier paint usually had more lead. You find this advice when renovating old houses, where glossier trim is likely to have lead in it.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

terrorchicken

D @Dinoguy2 are you saying  Vitae figures have lead paint? :o Uh that kinda makes me worried about getting any. What about other Chinese brand figures like PNSO? Is there a list somewhere of figures that contain lead?

SidB

stargatedalek

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 17, 2021, 02:05:57 AM
D @Dinoguy2 are you saying  Vitae figures have lead paint? :o Uh that kinda makes me worried about getting any. What about other Chinese brand figures like PNSO? Is there a list somewhere of figures that contain lead?
PNSO products are marked CE, they do not contain lead.

Vitae had their molds used by an unscrupulous factory owner without permission and those are the cheap versions that are speculated to contain lower quality materials, whether that means lead or not remains to be seen.

Flaffy

I believe the newer boxed and standard versions of the Vitae figures are all marked with CE.

Leyster

People, let's calm down a bit. The old boxed Giganotosaurus has CE imprint too. I can't photograph the box, but it's there, I think that if you search some unboxing videos you'll see it, it's on the upper face of the box. This is for legit Vitaes. About the stolen molds, I don't know, but Vitae shouldn't be faulted for them more than Papo should be blamed for dangerous painting in the thousands of knockoffs floating on ebay. After all, if the story is true, the molds were used against their permission and they could not test the safety of the models.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Duna

Quote from: Leyster on January 17, 2021, 10:05:23 AM
People, let's calm down a bit. The old boxed Giganotosaurus has CE imprint too. I can't photograph the box, but it's there, I think that if you search some unboxing videos you'll see it, it's on the upper face of the box. This is for legit Vitaes. About the stolen molds, I don't know, but Vitae shouldn't be faulted for them more than Papo should be blamed for dangerous painting in the thousands of knockoffs floating on ebay. After all, if the story is true, the molds were used against their permission and they could not test the safety of the models.
CE can also mean China Export. The only difference is the separation between the letters.
Spoiler
[close]

Dinoguy2

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 17, 2021, 02:05:57 AM

No, that was in reference to the bootleg" versions. Most bootleg figures have lead in them. One of the things that allows them to be sold cheaper than official figures is the lack of safety testing.

I did a lot of research into the whole "Chinese Export" CE marks because of the variation in CE marks present on 90s Safari figures. From what I understand this is somewhat apocryphal. Yes, some unscrupulous manufacturers have included bogus CE marks to avoid safety testing but more often then not this is a case of the factory being unaware of style standards. Which is why it was more common in the early days of CE.

I just checkedand my Vitae figures (all official ones) have legit CE marks, so they have been safety tested presumably. But keep in mind the bootlegs in this case are made from the same molds, which means they should have the same CE marks even though they're likely made from cheaper and possibly unsafe materials

Leyster

Quote from: Duna on January 17, 2021, 10:18:25 AM
Quote from: Leyster on January 17, 2021, 10:05:23 AM
CE can also mean China Export. The only difference is the separation between the letters.
Spoiler
[close]
avatar_Duna @Duna  I know the difference... and it's cleary the Euoropean Community one.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Mattyonyx

I have the whole Deluxe Line, along with the Original Giganotosaurus, Majungasaurus, and Sinoceratops. They all have Legit CE marks. Otherwise, they couldn't have been delivered to my place. Reading about this kind of suspicion on Vitae worries me a lot. After all, this is where many collectors came to know about the whole blackmail thing...

Carnoking

Stegotyranno420

Should we make a thread showing which figures are safe and unsafe? This seems very serious in my opinion

terrorchicken

thanks for the info D @Dinoguy2, good to know that at least the PNSO and official Vitae figs are safe.

so even bootlegs could have the CE symbol if they're using the same molds?

would spraying a suspect pvc/plastic figure with MSC conceal the lead ?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 18, 2021, 02:32:51 AM
thanks for the info D @Dinoguy2, good to know that at least the PNSO and official Vitae figs are safe.

so even bootlegs could have the CE symbol if they're using the same molds?

would spraying a suspect pvc/plastic figure with MSC conceal the lead ?

I think it would help as long as the coating doesn't rub off over time. I should emphasize that lead is not dangerous to touch, only to ingest. Which is why it's a bigger problem for toys than for adult products. If you're not chewing on your figures you're probably safe lol. Though I wash my hands after I touch figures I know have lead in them like Laramie and old Imperials.

ceratopsian

I ordered the Jinyunpelta (with base and box) from Model Toy Center on 4 January and it reached me in the UK on 15th January - so pretty quick.  It's a most attractive little diorama.

Duna

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 18, 2021, 10:28:15 AM
I think it would help as long as the coating doesn't rub off over time. I should emphasize that lead is not dangerous to touch, only to ingest. Which is why it's a bigger problem for toys than for adult products. If you're not chewing on your figures you're probably safe lol. Though I wash my hands after I touch figures I know have lead in them like Laramie and old Imperials.
That's exactly what I do. It's only toxic when ingested, and children can ingest small pieces of paint easily (even my 4 year olds put tails into their mouth without noticing) so never let babies and small children play with 70-80s chinasaurus or bootlegs. I also wash my hands when I handle my Marx Hong Kong bootlegs. Some figures are known to be full of lead, not only in the paint but also in the plastic, I read some analysis about them. https://tamararubin.com/2019/08/1986-dor-mei-toys-spinosaurus-5341-ppm-lead-90-ppm-and-up-is-considered-illegal-and-unsafe-for-toys-made-today/

Yes, Vitae and PNSO and the other actual known brands have the CE symbol of European Community and are safe for children.

Stegotyranno420

Im absoulutley terrified now. I have a good amount of cheaposaurs, and not to mention many more i had as a young child. I also repainted some of them, and some of them claim to be safe, but some have this strange distinct smell of chemicals, its all crazy.

But im glad PNSO and Vitae are safe.

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 19, 2021, 04:39:25 PM
Im absoulutley terrified now. I have a good amount of cheaposaurs, and not to mention many more i had as a young child. I also repainted some of them, and some of them claim to be safe, but some have this strange distinct smell of chemicals, its all crazy.

As D @Dinoguy2 suggests, the repainting likely will protect you. Also, avoiding contact with your mouth and scrubbing your hands after handling should be very helpful. Then again, there may be no lead in all of your older figures.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 19, 2021, 04:39:25 PM

I think I mentioned in my YouTube video on this, but I had lots of Laramie, Imperial, etc. toys as a kid. The Laramie plesiosaurus I probably played with in the bath and I'm sure at least my younger siblings probably put a few of these things in their mouths. But, what can you do - the insidious thing about lead is that in small doses the effects aren't obvious. Maybe I lost a few points off of my math SATs from owning these figures. At least I'm better off than all the people who lived the generation before me where they were pumping it into cars and breathing in that exhaust  :o

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: