News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vitae dinosaurs

Started by Mauro "Raptor86", October 29, 2017, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 19, 2021, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 19, 2021, 04:39:25 PM
Im absoulutley terrified now. I have a good amount of cheaposaurs, and not to mention many more i had as a young child. I also repainted some of them, and some of them claim to be safe, but some have this strange distinct smell of chemicals, its all crazy.

But im glad PNSO and Vitae are safe.

I think I mentioned in my YouTube video on this, but I had lots of Laramie, Imperial, etc. toys as a kid. The Laramie plesiosaurus I probably played with in the bath and I'm sure at least my younger siblings probably put a few of these things in their mouths. But, what can you do - the insidious thing about lead is that in small doses the effects aren't obvious. Maybe I lost a few points off of my math SATs from owning these figures. At least I'm better off than all the people who lived the generation before me where they were pumping it into cars and breathing in that exhaust  :o
true. I think we are relatively healthy and I am just paranoid. Not to mention the ancient civilizations that use lead everywhere even in their water, and pencil lead, and not just lead but also orange colored kitchenware from around the 50s that had Uranium, and the green paint that slowly killed Napoleon in his room, so many things, lead figures are safe compared to these :o

terrorchicken

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 18, 2021, 10:28:15 AM

I think it would help as long as the coating doesn't rub off over time. I should emphasize that lead is not dangerous to touch, only to ingest. Which is why it's a bigger problem for toys than for adult products. If you're not chewing on your figures you're probably safe lol. Though I wash my hands after I touch figures I know have lead in them like Laramie and old Imperials.

thanks! good to know! I have some cans of MSC but as far as dinosaur figures I think the only old ones I have are some Invictas. But I might have some non-dino figures that Ive bought off Ebay in the past I suspect may be Chinese knockoffs so I might spray those.

btw what about those half painted Vitae figures? Like this one :https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002006460872.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.15.20454227rNnYC5
are these knock offs or just official economy versions of the pricier figures?

stoneage

How about old Marx figures?  A lot of the figures have chewed tails.

Leyster

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 20, 2021, 12:44:26 AM

btw what about those half painted Vitae figures? Like this one :https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002006460872.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.15.20454227rNnYC5
are these knock offs or just official economy versions of the pricier figures?
They are legit, they are a cheap version. See here: https://www.paleo-nerd.com/news/vitae-jinyunpelta-galleria-fotografica/
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

I received the Vitae Jinyunpelta today.  One of its toes was broken off while it was still in its bag.  I don't know how since it was very well protected in its packaging.  I don't like the Jinyunpelta enough to get another copy.  Back in October I think it was, I received the Vitae Sinraptor.  Its paintjob was sloppy and I didn't keep it.  I think I won't be buying from Vitae again, it's just been too disappointing.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's disappointing avatar_Sim @Sim I'm sure you e just had a lot of bad luck, the only problems I've had are wonky jaw on Sinraptor and my Tiantaisaurus (no base) not standing up. The other 5 figures are perfect. A shame you have had these problems
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

ceratopsian

I opened up my second Tiantaiosaurus, the paler version, a couple of days ago.  The plastic tie that should have held it in place in the box had snapped (or had been cut??)  One of its toes had come off as a result.  I'm debating whether to try to superglue it in place or whether to just leave it.  It's the furthest from the viewing side, so not obvious.  As I went for a base, it doesn't affect stability at all.

Remko

I received both the Jinyupelta and Tiantaiosaurus today.
No problems with the Jinyupelta, but the Tintaiosaurus has one of his claws broken off (second toe of the right foot). The claw was loose in the box, and I think some glue would help to fix this.

Other than that, no problems. The Tiantaiosaurus has no problem standing upright without the base as well.

Sim

All these reports of bits broken off makes me think Vitae is using a hard but fragile plastic.  Not a good choice.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on January 27, 2021, 10:05:09 PM
All these reports of bits broken off makes me think Vitae is using a hard but fragile plastic.  Not a good choice.
I'd read that they are fabricated of resin ... could this be true?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: SidB on January 27, 2021, 11:03:24 PM
the Giganotosaurus, Sinoceratops, Majungasaurus, Lufengosaurus and and that other one are resin, but the Tiantaisaurus and Jinyunpelta are plastic, though obviously a harder plastic than their 5 pvc figures.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

I had an negative Vitae-related experience yesterday that completely beats out everyone else's, but I'm saving the story for an upcoming review next month.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on January 28, 2021, 02:29:50 AM
I had an negative Vitae-related experience yesterday that completely beats out everyone else's, but I'm saving the story for an upcoming review next month.
I'll be looking out for that review then. I was somewhat close to purchasing a few vitae figures, but now these issues have pushed back my initial decisions.

ceratopsian

To keep things in perspective, two out of my three recent purchases have been very positive. The problem on the third is minor. If I didn't buy a brand because I had had a problem with a model, then I wouldn't be buying any more CollectA or Safari or Favorite. Or PNSO on thinking about it.

Leyster

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 27, 2021, 11:17:40 PM
the Giganotosaurus, Sinoceratops, Majungasaurus, Lufengosaurus and and that other one are resin, but the Tiantaisaurus and Jinyunpelta are plastic, though obviously a harder plastic than their 5 pvc figures.
Giganotosaurus is not resin. It's TPR.

Also, people, where do you buy from? 'cause if you buy from some reseller on aliexpress, and he packages badly your model, or it's damaged during shipping, it's Hardly Vitae's fault. Lot of models (ie. the latest carnegies) have thin details that can easly snapped off (and I see a lot of damaged Carnegies on ebay), but when Carnegie was a thing nobody was complaining that much.

Seriously, people, give 'em a chance, last time I saw such negativity in a brand thread was in the old days of REBOR  ;D
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

suspsy

Never had a Carnegie, a CollectA, a Papo, a Safari, a Schleich, or a PNSO toy that was composed of such brittle material as Vitae uses. I gave them a chance and they tripped and fumbled.

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on January 28, 2021, 11:52:49 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 27, 2021, 11:17:40 PM
Giganotosaurus is not resin. It's TPR.

Also, people, where do you buy from? 'cause if you buy from some reseller on aliexpress, and he packages badly your model, or it's damaged during shipping, it's Hardly Vitae's fault. Lot of models (ie. the latest carnegies) have thin details that can easly snapped off (and I see a lot of damaged Carnegies on ebay), but when Carnegie was a thing nobody was complaining that much.

Seriously, people, give 'em a chance, last time I saw such negativity in a brand thread was in the old days of REBOR  ;D
Yes, L @Leyster , you're right, the Giganotosaurus seems to be TPR - I have this figure. However, as avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx correctly points out, the Sinoceratops, which I also acquired last summer, is certainly composed of resin. I  had known that when I'd ordered it and was concerned about possible shipping breakage. But it arrived intact, as it was in a box with a pre-formed spongy insert. But the insert is so close-fitting that I have to be quite careful in removing the figure, especially around the nose horn, to avoid snapping it off. So the resin is vulnerable. Given that the earlier small figures, like the Sinraptor and others issued at that time were made of a fairly bendable and soft plastic, unlike the resins mentioned, I'm surprised that Vitae resorted to a rigid, fragile material for these new ones (I've got two on order).

Mattyonyx

It's so unfortunate to read such comments on Vitae. I myself trembled in fear when one of my Tiantaiosaurus figures fell from the base because I moved it too fast (and it was during a Live on Facebook, so you can imagine the tension), but nothing bad happened. From what I read it would have gone to pieces...

So I don't get it, the last two pages on this thread are basically depicting Vitae as evil incarnate. Maybe I was lucky, maybe I'm seeing too many good feedbacks and great pictures online (especially of Jinyunpelta with PNSO's Ankyloaurids), but I'm not so negative about the work made with the deluxe line. I was disappointed by the resin models, but that's the only issue I got.

suspsy

"Evil incarnate"? We're sharing experiences with poor quality control. It's unfortunate for Vitae, but it doesn't put them in the ranks of supervillainy.

ceratopsian

I certainly don't see Vitae as a bad firm, quite the contrary avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx.  Sure, the toe was broken - but it's not the end of the world and I admire the figures.  They have a really natural feel and aesthetic.  I like the paint job.  I like the sculptural details.  I like the decision to produce two colour versions of the Tiantaiosaurus, so that I have a "breeding pair". I like the use of magnets - much better than pegs I think.  I like the neat little bases.  I'm hoping that the fact that the plastic is stiff means that the bipeds' legs won't bend and collapse over time.  (The tiny broken toe is a lot less obvious than the fact that some figures in my collection from other, better-known firms won't stand up unsupported!)  I would buy something else by Vitae if it fell within my collecting interests, without hesitation.

The former editor in me never sleeps - it's a shame that the boxes for the Tiantaiosaurus carry the descriptive text for the Jinyunpelta (I think the Chinese too, not just the English).  But again, it's no big deal.  I'm delighted that Vitae have come back and produced these attractive models to grace our collections.

Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 28, 2021, 01:52:21 PM
It's so unfortunate to read such comments on Vitae. I myself trembled in fear when one of my Tiantaiosaurus figures fell from the base because I moved it too fast (and it was during a Live on Facebook, so you can imagine the tension), but nothing bad happened. From what I read it would have gone to pieces...

So I don't get it, the last two pages on this thread are basically depicting Vitae as evil incarnate. Maybe I was lucky, maybe I'm seeing too many good feedbacks and great pictures online (especially of Jinyunpelta with PNSO's Ankyloaurids), but I'm not so negative about the work made with the deluxe line. I was disappointed by the resin models, but that's the only issue I got.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: