News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vitae dinosaurs

Started by Mauro "Raptor86", October 29, 2017, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyonyx

Quote from: suspsy on January 28, 2021, 02:17:44 PM
"Evil incarnate"? We're sharing experiences with poor quality control. It's unfortunate for Vitae, but it doesn't put them in the ranks of supervillainy.

Yeah, but that's how it sounds, especially if I think I still haven't read a single comment about the accuracy or sculpt detail, only reports of bad experiences because people basically bought Knock-offs or something bad happened during the shipping (which could happen with any other figure by any other company).

I don't know, maybe I did too much research on these figures (the new ones, especially) which made me like many things about them, and I'm sure I would be disappointed if they came to my house broken. it's just that I'm not seeing this kind of issue elsewhere, and I just read on them here.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Remko

avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx Well then, let me be the first to say that the new figures are absolutely beautiful.
The bases are stunning, with a nice soft bottom to prevent scratching.

I'm inclined to purchase the older figures with bases as well.

suspsy

Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 28, 2021, 03:20:14 PM
"Evil incarnate"? We're sharing experiences with poor quality control. It's unfortunate for Vitae, but it doesn't put them in the ranks of supervillainy.

Yeah, but that's how it sounds, especially if I think I still haven't read a single comment about the accuracy or sculpt detail, only reports of bad experiences because people basically bought Knock-offs or something bad happened during the shipping (which could happen with any other figure by any other company).

Pointing out that Vitae products are showing a unfortunate trend of breaking is akin to branding them "evil incarnate"?

Okay.

QuoteI don't know, maybe I did too much research on these figures (the new ones, especially) which made me like many things about them, and I'm sure I would be disappointed if they came to my house broken. it's just that I'm not seeing this kind of issue elsewhere, and I just read on them here.

I don't understand. Are you saying that you're less inclined to believe what people here on the forum are saying than say, those in Facebook groups or on Twitter?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx - I think part of the issue is that Vitae is harder to find here in the West, so I had to buy from AliExpress.  I'm sure if I'd been able to buy from my usual supplier (Everything Dinosaur), with the usual level of personal care, then the broken plastic strap would have been noticed and the broken toe avoided.  Yours all came direct from Vitae, I think?

Bread

I don't think anyone was really criticizing Vitae in a negative way. More so reporting issues of broken limbs or faulty paint applications. If anything, addressing these quality control issues may improve future figures/production.

I know I commented that I decided to hold on my purchase of Vitae figures. However, I will probably pick up a few of these as soon as some of these issues improve.

Dinoguy2

I'll just chime in and say I received my 2 new Vitae figures last week, with no boxes or bases. Both are beautiful in sculpt with perfect paint applications and zero broken parts. Beware of negative review bias.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SidB

Well, I have seven of these figures, with two more on the way, so clearly I'm voting with my wallet. I'm glad that Vitae has been resurrected.

Carnoking

I don't think it's negative review bias to be upset about broken parts. No matter which company damaged or defective products come from it's something that should be addressed and taken into consideration. For example, I got a Winter Wilson from PNSO with a fixed jaw and splitting plastic around the hinge. Now I don't hate PNSO because of it and I still think it's an awesome figure, but I still want the functioning product I paid 70 dollars for. By getting the word out we can hope that companies take action to ensure these issues are addressed down the road. I mean I don't think anyone wants to see Vitae go belly up again, but if more and more of their products start arriving damaged, consumers will be less inclined to keep buying. Better to nip these things in the bud now rather than waiting until it happens to you.

Remko

Quote from: Carnoking on January 28, 2021, 06:32:20 PM
I don't think it's negative review bias to be upset about broken parts. No matter which company damaged or defective products come from it's something that should be addressed and taken into consideration. For example, I got a Winter Wilson from PNSO with a fixed jaw and splitting plastic around the hinge. Now I don't hate PNSO because of it and I still think it's an awesome figure, but I still want the functioning product I paid 70 dollars for. By getting the word out we can hope that companies take action to ensure these issues are addressed down the road. I mean I don't think anyone wants to see Vitae go belly up again, but if more and more of their products start arriving damaged, consumers will be less inclined to keep buying. Better to nip these things in the bud now rather than waiting until it happens to you.

Agreed. My other hobbies include collexting diecast construction equipment and vehicles.
Now, a broken toe on a € 25 euro dinosaur figure is nothing compared to broken parts on a € 400 euro model crane.

It's all in the quality control when leaving the factory.

And of course, furing shipping something might happen. Although I have to say that the ackage the two Vitae figures came in, was EXTREMELY well packaged. It was a big carton box wrapped in bubble wrap, with plastic corner pieces securing it, and the individual figures were even more secured in seperate carton boxes with bubble wrap added to the actual display boxes. So the shipper did his best to make sure the figures would be as secure as possible.

suspsy

Precisely.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

It would be good if this constructive feedback could/ would find it's way back to Vitae.

Dinoguy2

I don't think it's negative review bias to be upset about broken parts.
No, of course not. Negative review bias just means that people with a problem are more likely to post a negative review, and people with no problem are more likely to post no review at all, making the negative experiences appear to be common. That's not to take away from the actual bad experiences, but it can't be used to inform about the prevalence or rarity of such problems.

I don't know why Vitae switched to hard plastic when the rubber ones were just fine and allowed for thin details without fear of breakage. Maybe a cost thing? Either way it sounds like they'd be better off switching back to rubber for future production runs. Anybody know if the boxed editions of the old figures are also hard plastic?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Mattyonyx

Quote from: suspsy on January 28, 2021, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 28, 2021, 03:20:14 PM

Pointing out that Vitae products are showing a unfortunate trend of breaking is akin to branding them "evil incarnate"?

Okay.

QuoteI don't know, maybe I did too much research on these figures (the new ones, especially) which made me like many things about them, and I'm sure I would be disappointed if they came to my house broken. it's just that I'm not seeing this kind of issue elsewhere, and I just read on them here.

I don't understand. Are you saying that you're less inclined to believe what people here on the forum are saying than say, those in Facebook groups or on Twitter?

What I'm saying is that although warning people about certain risks is a big help, by reading this thread one might think every single model will 100% break to pieces, which is not the case if we include pictures and videos from other sources (and it's not like people on facebook & co. would be afraid to leave a negative feedback).
Is it something that could happen? Yes, so it's something to be careful about.
Does it happen to everyone, or the majority of buyers? I'm not so sure about it, so I don't know if I can call it a trend.

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking  I understand your point of view, and since I'm a big fan of your videos, The Wilson issue was painful to watch.  I would just point out the fact that, among all the videos I've seen, yours is the only one with that issue, like the lack of tongue on Dino Scream's review. That means quality issues can happen, just not to everyone... Call it bad luck or else, before thinking of leaving a review we as buyers can ask for a refund or a replacement. Also, if we see the reviews for Qianzhousaurus, none of them show a disjointed jaw articulation, although many Tieba Baidu users posted pictures about it. So basically there were isolated cases with that issue, but none of the reviewers faced it.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian yes, they are shipped directly from Vitae. Because of that I talk a lot with Cheung Chung Tat, so in answer to S @SidB yes,  can report the feedbacks to him.

D @Dinoguy2 The 2018 reissues are still in softer PVC. During a Live review, my Chilantaisaurus wasn't standing so I had to put it on the base with magnets. Later, I noticed one of the fingers on the left foot was slightly bent, all I did was repositioning it an now it stands perfectly.

stoneage

:)  I was thinking of buying some Vitae dinosaurs on Ebay from Hong Kong, and it says it will take till April for them to arrive. Does  anybody know if this would be a problem?  You can get six figures for $59.99.

Carnoking

Seems fishy to me... What six figures?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: stoneage on February 05, 2021, 02:28:00 AM
:)  I was thinking of buying some Vitae dinosaurs on Ebay from Hong Kong, and it says it will take till April for them to arrive. Does  anybody know if this would be a problem?  You can get six figures for $59.99.

S @stoneage i got the same set last year from eBay at the same price (maybe same seller?). Be aware that these are the cheaper versions so the paint and design are not like the original ones.
Also, the giganotosaurus may ship separately since it's much bigger than the rest.

Other than that, they are legit vitae figures just not the same quality as the $25 each original ones.

Leyster

Quote from: stoneage on February 05, 2021, 02:28:00 AM
I think you should better wait for the legit "cheap" option of the figures.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

stoneage

Thanks Boki and Leyster, I guess if something looks like it is too good to be true!

SidB

Quote from: stoneage on February 05, 2021, 05:09:20 PM
Thanks Boki and Leyster, I guess if something looks like it is too good to be true!
This is true. I purchased the Giganotosaurus for $25 (without base) and it was identical in the sculpt's  size and details, but the paint job was poor, covered with a silly glitter. I had it repainted and mounted on a base - these can be seen on the Vitae thread last year. The end result was fine, but at the end of the day, it was just as expensive to buy the cheaper version and get it up to speed. Then there was the issue of the cheap paint job potentially containing lead ... the crooked factory operator cut corners and almost sank the entire operation. You can read about these details on the thread. The moral ... yes, if it looks too good to be true ... !

Leyster

Here is my review of Vitae's Giganotosaurus on Paleo-Nerd. In italian, but I think a translator will do the work: bit.ly/2ZQY16G
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: