News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vitae dinosaurs

Started by Mauro "Raptor86", October 29, 2017, 09:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

Quote from: Carnoking on February 05, 2021, 02:43:59 AM
Seems fishy to me... What six figures?

Those are the repainted cheaper ones. I've ordered them as well, pretty good money for what you get.

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on February 25, 2021, 11:22:48 AM
Here is my review of Vitae's Giganotosaurus on Paleo-Nerd. In italian, but I think a translator will do the work: bit.ly/2ZQY16G
Thank you, L @Leyster, for the very informed and detailed article. It certainly makes me value my Vitae figure all the more. It's a must read for students of the Giganotosaurus.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on March 01, 2021, 04:52:47 AM
Quote from: Leyster on February 25, 2021, 11:22:48 AM
Here is my review of Vitae's Giganotosaurus on Paleo-Nerd. In italian, but I think a translator will do the work: bit.ly/2ZQY16G
Thank you, L @Leyster, for the very informed and detailed article. It certainly makes me value my Vitae figure all the more. It's a must read for students of the Giganotosaurus.
My pleasure. I tried to incorporate almost everything.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

sauroid

i almost bought the Chilantaisaurus. but at the last minute decided to cancell my order because i thought it just wasnt worth the price.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Leyster

Quote from: sauroid on March 01, 2021, 11:55:04 AM
i almost bought the Chilantaisaurus. but at the last minute decided to cancell my order because i thought it just wasnt worth the price.
Well, this depends on how much was asked for it, I suppose.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

It's decently detailed, but rather small, out of scale with the other figures unless you treat it as a subadult.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on March 01, 2021, 12:29:05 PM
It's decently detailed, but rather small, out of scale with the other figures unless you treat it as a subadult.
Actually, it was probably made with "Chilantaisaurus zheziangensis" in mind, and not C.tashuikouensis. The 1/10 model show in the Zhejiang Museum of Natural History is 60 cm long, making the model 1/35. "Chilantaisaurus zheziangensis" is probably a therizinosaurid and anyway the sculpt is not accurate for Chilaintaisaurus, being based on Scott Hartman's Neovenator (an incorrect skeletal that uses megaraptoran bits to complete it), but basically you're buying the scale-down version of the 1/10 model.

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on March 01, 2021, 02:11:29 PM
Actually, it was probably made with "Chilantaisaurus zheziangensis" in mind, and not C.tashuikouensis. The 1/10 model show in the Zhejiang Museum of Natural History is 60 cm long, making the model 1/35. "Chilantaisaurus zheziangensis" is probably a therizinosaurid and anyway the sculpt is not accurate for Chilaintaisaurus, being based on Scott Hartman's Neovenator (an incorrect skeletal that uses megaraptoran bits to complete it), but basically you're buying the scale-down version of the 1/10 model.
So, L @Leyster , would you say that it wouldn't pass for a subadult C. tashuikouensis either?

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on March 01, 2021, 03:29:30 PM
So, L @Leyster , would you say that it wouldn't pass for a subadult C. tashuikouensis either?
This depends entirely on what do you think Chilantaisaurus is. This taxon is known from pretty scrappy remains and its phylogenetic position is dubious at best.

This skeletal has it as Megaraptoran, but I doubt it was a Megaraptoran, or (if it was one) it had quite different proportions from what is known about Megaraptorans.

SidB

Thanks, L @Leyster , I do believe that I've gotten "the picture." Appreciated.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on March 01, 2021, 05:31:47 PM
Thanks, L @Leyster , I do believe that I've gotten "the picture." Appreciated.
You're welcome

Dinoguy2

I think basing it on Neovenator is as good a guess as any. Because Vitae tends to sculpt the scrappiest fossil species they can possibly think of, I tend to view them as very beautiful representations of "generic nodosaur", "generic allosauroid", etc. So scale doesn't matter much.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Leyster

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 02, 2021, 12:13:49 PM

I think basing it on Neovenator is as good a guess as any. Because Vitae tends to sculpt the scrappiest fossil species they can possibly think of, I tend to view them as very beautiful representations of "generic nodosaur", "generic allosauroid", etc. So scale doesn't matter much.
They're simply scaled down version of statues commissioned by museum exibits, you can see them at the Zhejiang Museum of Natural History.

sauroid

Quote from: Leyster on March 01, 2021, 12:12:27 PM
Well, this depends on how much was asked for it, I suppose.
i thought US$25 was too much for a figure that size and details.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Prehistory Resurrection

Leyster

At last I wrote an explanation for Chilantaisaurus scale. You can find it here.

SenSx

Did Vitae say anything on their next wave of figures ?
I hope the Suchomimus they teased 3 years ago will finally make it.

Halichoeres

They certainly had a lot of prototypes to show back then, although I'm pretty sure the Tiantaisaurus wasn't among them, so it really jumped the line. Who knows what's on the way, but I was pretty excited for the marine reptiles.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ITdactyl

For members who've made recent purchases, can you share your favorite Vitae vendor in aliexpress? Please. ;D

Halzk

Quote from: ITdactyl on April 21, 2021, 04:36:59 PM
For members who've made recent purchases, can you share your favorite Vitae vendor in aliexpress? Please. ;D
For Vitae products I personally shop at "Model toy Center". I shop at "My Online Toy Store" too but I don't think they sell Vitae products.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: