News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 10, 2018, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: John on July 10, 2018, 04:07:13 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 10, 2018, 09:51:32 AM
Details on Collecta Estemmenosuchus are very low and the paint app is quite sloppy and unreal..
The figure would need a professional repaint and a general retouch.

( on the right, Estemmenosuchus by Sean Cooper)

???
Of course a professionally painted and completed resin model that costs hundreds of dollars is going to be more detailed and better painted than a toy that costs less than 20 before shipping!

Are you sure about that?

Collecta 2018 Bongo:

Price 7 Euro ( 8 USD ) + shipping   ;)

Papo 2018 Therizinosaurus:

Price 24 Euro ( 26 USD ) + shipping ....  8)
Yes,I am sure about that.The two toys you show (which still do not match the paint or detail of the professionally finished resin model kit as no toy can) are of very different animals from Estemmenosuchus and are therefore not useful in comparison as they will have very different skin texture.You will be happy to know that Estemmenosuchus has skin impressions that do show it to be that smooth skinned in general,so unlike most,you have more than one accurate Estemmenosuchus now.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: John on July 17, 2018, 09:43:33 PM

Yes,I am sure about that.The two toys you show (which still do not match the paint or detail of the professionally finished resin model kit as no toy can) are of very different animals from Estemmenosuchus and are therefore not useful in comparison as they will have very different skin texture.Estemmenosuchus by the way,has skin impressions that do show it to be that smooth skinned in general.

I have all those figures in front of my eyes (the resin Estemmenosuchus was hand-painted by Martin Garratt).
You have not.
Papo Therizinosaurus is extremely detailed and very well painted (really close to resins).
CollectA Estemmenosuchus is sloppy painted, with a truly unnatural coloration and with a low level of skin details.
CollectA 2018 extant animals are detailed and greatly painted (Bongo, Musk Ox, Hippopotamus, African Civet) like my resin Estemmenosuchus.
The 2018 CollectA Dimetrodon is a great figure with an unreal painting job.
The CollectA Ceratosaurus looks like a clown (really bad painting..) but it's well sculpted.
I'm not judging figures by pictures..
Best Regards
:)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157698949480425

suspsy

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. I can understand not liking the Estemmenosuchus' colours, but they are not applied sloppily. Not at all. And as far as skin detailing goes, what exactly do you want anyway? Estemmenosuchus was not a scaly animal. This one has plenty of subtle folds and wrinkles throughout its skin, not to mention firm musculature and textured horns.

Low level of skin details, my foot.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

The CollectA Estemmenosuchus has extremely gaudy colors, not something you would expect for an animal with mammalian characteristics. The color pattern does't appear to approximate anything in existence or anything that could have possibly lived in the land, air or sea.

On the plus size, it is a good model and with a bit of commission work may look presentable.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on July 17, 2018, 11:36:41 PM

Compared to the Theri, the details are extremely low. Even by CollectA standard, the Estemmenosuchus leaves much to be desired with obvious detail work on the horns/antlers but not much else. The Schleich Dinogorgon is a bit more detailed, as far as I can tell.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 18, 2018, 02:02:15 AM

Compared to the Theri, the details are extremely low. Even by CollectA standard, the Estemmenosuchus leaves much to be desired with obvious detail work on the horns/antlers but not much else. The Schleich Dinogorgon is a bit more detailed, as far as I can tell.

There's no other way I can put this: you are wrong.

John

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 17, 2018, 10:21:19 PM

Yes,I am sure about that.The two toys you show (which still do not match the paint or detail of the professionally finished resin model kit as no toy can) are of very different animals from Estemmenosuchus and are therefore not useful in comparison as they will have very different skin texture.Estemmenosuchus by the way,has skin impressions that do show it to be that smooth skinned in general.

I have all those figures in front of my eyes (the resin Estemmenosuchus was hand-painted by Martin Garratt).
You have not.
Papo Therizinosaurus is extremely detailed and very well painted (really close to resins).
CollectA Estemmenosuchus is sloppy painted, with a truly unnatural coloration and with a low level of skin details.
CollectA 2018 extant animals are detailed and greatly painted (Bongo, Musk Ox, Hippopotamus, African Civet) like my resin Estemmenosuchus.
The CollectA Ceratosaurus looks like a clown (really bad painting..) but it's well sculpted.
Best Regards

You can pretend that I have never before seen any toys or resin models in person all you like,but skin impressions do not lie.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: suspsy on July 18, 2018, 02:38:30 AM

There's no other way I can put this: you are wrong.
I agree with you on this one,suspy.The Estemmenosuchus is actually fine as it is.The skin on the toy actually matches that of the known skin impressions from E. uralensis and the species represented by the toy (E.mirabilis) would not be different from it.Any of the changes demanded of it to it's skin texture would just turn it into a fantasy creature. :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: John on July 18, 2018, 03:32:52 AM

You have not.
Best Regards

You can pretend that I have never before seen any toys or resin models in person all you like,but skin impressions do not lie.

I'm not talking about resin/pvc models/toys in general.
I'm talking about specific figures.
I'm saying that CollectA has different standards for different lines of figures.
And I'm saying that because I'm seeing these figures in person.
Are you doing the same thing?
Do you have all the figures I'm talking about?
If you have, we can discuss.
If not, this discussion does not have any sense.
Nothing personal, my friend..
And, from my point of view, the gap in quality between some resins and some pvc is fading away (but it's not the case of Estemmenosuchus).
Regards

RobinGoodfellow

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. I can understand not liking the Estemmenosuchus' colours, but they are not applied sloppily. Not at all. And as far as skin detailing goes, what exactly do you want anyway? Estemmenosuchus was not a scaly animal. This one has plenty of subtle folds and wrinkles throughout its skin, not to mention firm musculature and textured horns.

Did you receive a free sample directly from CollectA ?  ;)

John

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 18, 2018, 06:53:58 AM

You have not.
Best Regards

I'm saying that CollectA has different standards for different lines of figures.
And, from my point of view, the gap in quality between some resins and some pvc is fading away (but it's not the case of Estemmenosuchus).
Regards

In your reply to suspy,I think I can see where your confusion over how I can tell how CollectA's Estemmenosuchus looks in person yet is coming from.I'm guessing you had gotten yours pre-release from Collecta,but were not aware that all but their newest Tyrannosaurus had turned up from the Mini Zoo in Australia since then,long enough for packages to have arrived in the U.S. by now.That's how I can judge the Estemmenosuchus.I also have the Ceratosaurus,for which neither promo pictures nor even pictures of the final model online do it justice in the least!Any odd colors of any model can always be remedied by repainting,if one is so inclined to do so.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: John on July 18, 2018, 07:54:22 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 18, 2018, 06:53:58 AM

You have not.
Best Regards

Regards

In your reply to suspy,I think I can see where your confusion over how I can tell how CollectA's Estemmenosuchus looks in person yet is coming from.I'm guessing you had gotten yours pre-release from Collecta,but were not aware that all but their newest Tyrannosaurus had turned up from the Mini Zoo in Australia since then.That's how I can judge the Estemmenosuchus.I also have the Ceratosaurus,for which neither promo pictures nor even pictures of the final model online do it justice in the least!Odd colors can always be repainted,if one is so inclined to do so.

Sorry but I didn't receive my figures from CollectA.
I bought them.
I never received a free sample in all my life.  ;)
I'm from Europe and new CollectAs are already available through german shops like Urzeitshop, Spielfiguren and Modellpferdeversand (where I bought them).

Usually reviewers are extremely positive about free samples..  ;)

What I wrote about Estemmenosuchus is my personal point of view.
I'm totally happy that other people think differently about it.

DinoToyForum

You have not.
Best Regards

C:-) You've wisely edited your post since it was reported, but this is a warning for that earlier post, which contained intentional rudeness.  C:-)

John

/

Flaffy

I don't think the Estemmenosuchus is one of CollectA's best attempts.

For me personally, the lipless mouth and exposed teeth are a BIG issue about the figure, again, why bother giving it an articulated mouth when you can't even close it properly.

While I believe the absolutely horrendous and pathetic factory paint job makes the details seem lighter then they actually are, CollectA has shown that they CAN make a smooth skinned creature highly detailed and with amazing paint quality, case in point their new 2018 Hippopotamus... again... cus apparently y'all forgot about this beautiful figure that was just released:

hell it even has gloss in the interior of its mouth, and painted+sculpted weathering on those teeth. And get this, the Hippo is smaller and cheaper compared to the Estemmenosuchus.

Also, no one was arguing for scales, I have no idea where you guys got that idea from.

Perhaps it's everything combined, from the disgusting paint, sloppy application, soft details, stiff pose etc that makes it an average representation of Estemmenosuchus rather than an amazing one that could've been IF the sculptor decided to put in a little more effort, and maybe if CollectA was willing to shelf a bigger budget on the paint.

Something to note: Calling people "whiny complainers" or "crybabies" isn't going to get one's point across very effectively. All it does is it aggravates people which results in potential unproductive emotional outbursts which certainly doesn't help in a civilised discussion about plastic figurines.  ;)

suspsy

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 18, 2018, 06:57:51 AM

I beg your pardon? What does that have to do with anything?

You know what? I've said my piece and I'm done now with this line of discussion.

Ravonium

Back by (un)popular demand, here are my throwaway comments on a somewhat major argument

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 18, 2018, 06:57:51 AM

Ah yes, accusing the other person of selling out. Nice move (not)

Even by CollectA standard, the Estemmenosuchus leaves much to be desired with obvious detail work on the horns/antlers but not much else. The Schleich Dinogorgon is a bit more detailed, as far as I can tell.

Agreed. Even if Estemmenosuchus skin was smooth, the CollectA model does look too plastic-ey for my liking. I definitely agree with Flaffy that the paintjob probably doesn't help, but I do still think it could do with a bit more texture (The details on the Papo hippos are good examples of what I'm referring to). There also seem to be randomly placed bumps on the skin that distract away from the smoothness of the skin.

I think the worst thing about the paint job is that while it looks deceptively sloppy, it is probably quite well organised (i.e. sticks to the painting plan well) in most areas of the model, with the teeth (always) being the obvious exception.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Ravonium on July 18, 2018, 04:31:47 PM

Ah yes, accusing your opponent of being a shill. Nice move (not)

Just a note.
I think that DTF is a place where sharing opinions with other people about collecting (AKA hobby AKA relax ).
So I don't have any "opponent" on DTF, just people thinking differently from me.
It's natural and I can accept that.
So, please, don't take this thing so seriously because it's not.
We're just talking about toys and plastic models...   ::)
Thank you.
Regards  :)

Said that, I will go further.

Ravonium

OK, I didn't word my previous post that well. I may have given off a slight impression that I take this more seriously than I actually do. I will amend it slightly.

terrorchicken

maybe they went cheap on the Estemmeno b/c they think it will be a slower seller being a lesser known prehistoric  animal? :\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: