News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Discover with Dr. COOL!!!

Started by Loon, November 11, 2017, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Dr. Cool, esteemed paleontologist and toy sculptor, famed colleague of Dr. Steve Hunter, and all around cool guy, is here to show off some of his radical Prehistoric Collectibles!

This line is called "Discover with Dr. Cool", I can't seem to find to any pictures of these online, but I assure you, the word discover has not been associated with such scientific accuracy since the Discovery Institute.

These were found at Hobby Lobby, so I guess they must have cost a small fortune and your decency, and boy, are they something. There were some extant animals, who seemed pretty generically bad, like inflated Chinese dollar store toys, the reddish-pink hippo was especially choice, but the Prehistoric animals....they sure were something...

They're made of a soft material, kind of like recur toys, and seem to be ripped off from various pop culture representations, but some are do out there, it's nuts.

I'll go from least terrible to the most.

Spinosaurus:

With Spinosaurus's look still being so up in the air, I would call this a decent attempt. However, it is just a rip-off of this

Tyrannosaurus:

Not too terrible, just a jp rip off, though.

Stegosaurus:

Seems to have the throat armor, so not too bad. But, we're about to jump from decent to....

"""""Caudipteryx""""":

I mean...at least it's a dinosaur...

And finally, the reason I wanted to share these gems, this Terror Bird:

Not too terrible, the beak's a little short, and the eyes are too crocodilian, but overall, it's dec......It has hands. No Terror Bird had hands, some may have had claws, but not Jurassic Park Velociraptor style paws. So yeah, Dr. Cool, I'd skip it.

stargatedalek

I would absolutely buy that terror bird, it's cool enough to justify how wrong it is, can't say that for the others.

bmathison1972

I saw these at a toy store in Rochester, MN over the Halloween weekend. I hadn't seen them on this forum and should have taken pics. Glad someone did. They had a few nice species and figures. Large, soft, and very dynamic.

Faelrin

That feathered one would make a better Velociraptor then what it is intended to be. That terror bird is odd, but I guess it emphasizes that birds are dinosaurs or something.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ZoPteryx

I'd like know where "Dr." Cool got his doctorate...

Ravonium

Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 11, 2017, 05:35:41 AM

He faked it because that's how 'cool' he is.

Loon

Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 11, 2017, 05:35:41 AM
Probably Midwestern Baptist College

Libraraptor

I like the terror bird despite its many flaws.

Ravonium

Quote from: Loon on November 11, 2017, 08:57:26 AM

He wouldn't believe in feathered dinosaurs (if he would believe in dinosaurs at all) if he went there. I am still convinced that he faked it to sound cool.

tyrantqueen

I got a good chuckle out of your description. Thanks for that.

I've never seen any sort of dinosaurs at my local Hobby Lobby. I guess it must be only the big stores that stock them.

DinoToyForum

Nanuqsaurus

That terror bird definitely lives up to its name.

Loon

Quote from: Ravonium on November 11, 2017, 09:18:51 AM
Quote from: Loon on November 11, 2017, 08:57:26 AM

He wouldn't believe in feathered dinosaurs (if he would believe in dinosaurs at all) if he went there. I am still convinced that he faked it to sound cool.
There is no faking for Dr. Cool, he is real, and a genius. Stephen Hawking? A nerd. Carl Sagan? C'mon... Neil deGrasse Tyson? A phony. Richard Dawkins? A monkey man. Robert Bakker? A huckster. Charles Darwin? A crybaby. Galileo? Pfft.... Dr. Cool is the greatest scientist to have ever lived, all who question him will be sacked.

Ravonium

Quote from: Loon on November 11, 2017, 10:47:45 AM
There is no faking for Dr. Cool, he is real, and a genius. Stephen Hawking? A nerd. Carl Sagan? C'mon... Neil deGrasse Tyson? A phony. Richard Dawkins? A monkey man. Robert Bakker? A huckster. Charles Darwin? A crybaby. Galileo? Pfft.... Dr. Cool is the greatest scientist to have ever lived, all who question him will be sacked.

What innovations in science did Dr Cool make? Exactly, he is a big fat fake scientist.

Takama

Bealive it or not, there is more to this line then just these Dinosaurs

Jose S.M.

The Styracosaurus looks like the Papo one. Also the Allosaurus head sculpt doesn't look that bad.The Iguanodon is another that is not horrible but it seems to lack the thumb spikes. And the Microraptor looks surprisingly well feathered.

stargatedalek

Is the Microraptor also large and vinyl/soft? If so I'll have to get around to finding it and the terror bird at some point.

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 11, 2017, 04:54:35 PM
Is the Microraptor also large and vinyl/soft? If so I'll have to get around to finding it and the terror bird at some point.

I should of Clarifyed that these are not my photos, there from a Facebook users Timeline.

I saw a photo of the Microraptor, and it is large. However i do not know if its all soft

Loon

Quote from: Takama on November 11, 2017, 05:02:36 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 11, 2017, 04:54:35 PM

I should of Clarifyed that these are not my photos, there from a Facebook users Timeline.

I saw a photo of the Microraptor, and it is large. However i do not know if its all soft
I would hazard a guess that they're all soft, since none of the Dr. Cool figures I saw at the store weren't.

Joey

The Tyrannosaurus looks like the Recur one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: