News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2013, 02:26:12 AM
It did sound interesting..much moreso than before. Then they brought up the humans again.  I can't really see where they fit..unless maybe there is a side story like in some IMAX dino films..the two human brothers are looking for fossils and we get the dinosaurs visuals to show what happened finally leading up to the kids finding a fossil that shows the end scene of the dinosaur bit ?

That's exactly what I was thinking they would do! I think that actually might work. MIGHT work.

Blade-of-the-Moon

As long as they aren't there with the dinos..don't get me wrong I love Jurassic Park..but this is ..different.

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2013, 03:38:39 AM
As long as they aren't there with the dinos..don't get me wrong I love Jurassic Park..but this is ..different.

I understand. the Walking with.. series is a documentary series, not an adventure science fiction series. Although alot of people have had negative reactions to Nigel Marven being with the prehistoric wildlife in Chased by Dinosaurs and Sea Monsters, for some reason it doesn't bother me. I mean I would rather prefer him not being there, but for some reason, they did it well, and it was really for educational purposes. I think I'm one of the few peole who enjoys it. I am watching Sea Monsters as I speak.

Maybe it can be something like how the National Geographic show 'Sea Monsters" (not to be confused with the BBC series mentioned above) was, in that maybe the human brothers are looking for their father, but also find dinosaur fossils along the way. I don't mind that at all. I would root for the dinosaurs all the way though. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I didn't mind Nigel at all..I have all the shows on dvd including Prehistoric Park..but it was presented a little differently.  I just really don't want two children running around the past pointing things out I guess.. lol

Yeah it says " in their father's footsteps " which could mean his profession which I'm hoping is a paleontologist.  Just no funky time travel or such in this particular film I would hope.  ;) Let the dinosaurs tell the story with their behavior and actions.

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2013, 06:51:34 AM
I didn't mind Nigel at all..I have all the shows on dvd including Prehistoric Park..but it was presented a little differently.  I just really don't want two children running around the past pointing things out I guess.. lol

Yeah it says " in their father's footsteps " which could mean his profession which I'm hoping is a paleontologist.  Just no funky time travel or such in this particular film I would hope.  ;) Let the dinosaurs tell the story with their behavior and actions.

Yeah, let's hope that's what it means.

krentz

Hey guys. The movie will probably start advertising next month, so stand by.
D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: krentz on April 27, 2013, 01:08:06 AM
D

Thanks for the note David, I have my claws crossed on this one.

krentz

I can't really talk too much about now, but from all the finals I've seen, the animation, muscle and skin simulation is pretty incredible.  Even though this is a hard crowd to please, you will be pleased.

D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: krentz on April 27, 2013, 06:23:31 AM
I can't really talk too much about now, but from all the finals I've seen, the animation, muscle and skin simulation is pretty incredible.  Even though this is a hard crowd to please, you will be pleased.

D

If it's anything like some of the awesome visuals we had in Dino Rev I will be more than pleased.  My concern now is the human element and how it factors in.

I'm also curious as to what theaters will get this..IMAX only or all theaters like Carmike Cinemas, ect..?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 27, 2013, 06:42:38 AM
Quote from: krentz on April 27, 2013, 06:23:31 AM

D

If it's anything like some of the awesome visuals we had in Dino Rev I will be more than pleased.  My concern now is the human element and how it factors in.

I'm also curious as to what theaters will get this..IMAX only or all theaters like Carmike Cinemas, ect..?
I bet they'll play it at The Utah Museum of Ancient Life. They have tons of awesome prehistoric life movies there.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on April 21, 2013, 06:05:18 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2013, 03:38:39 AM

Although alot of people have had negative reactions to Nigel Marven being with the prehistoric wildlife in Chased by Dinosaurs and Sea Monsters, for some reason it doesn't bother me. I mean I would rather prefer him not being there, but for some reason, they did it well, and it was really for educational purposes. I think I'm one of the few peole who enjoys it. I am watching Sea Monsters as I speak.

I liked those series' too! :))

krentz

This is a wide release film.  Probably many formats.  I really excited to see it in the theatre, this will be my son's first theatre movie experience.  He knows I've been working on a "Pachyrhinosaurus Movie" and seen all the designs and stuff, but I can't wait to see it with him and they have all come to life!

D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: krentz on April 28, 2013, 05:41:40 AM
This is a wide release film.  Probably many formats.  I really excited to see it in the theatre, this will be my son's first theatre movie experience.  He knows I've been working on a "Pachyrhinosaurus Movie" and seen all the designs and stuff, but I can't wait to see it with him and they have all come to life!

D

That's great to hear on both counts ! I'm sure he'll love seeing it on the big screen..where dinosaurs can truly feel alive, I'm sure it will all mean so much more to him then. :)

Primeval12

Will the spinosaurus from the website be in the movie?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: primeval12 on April 28, 2013, 07:12:37 PM
Will the spinosaurus from the website be in the movie?

I believe that figure is just for his line.

As far as we know the storyline revolves around North American Late Cretaceous dinosaurs if I recall correctly.

Balaur

Quote from: krentz on April 27, 2013, 01:08:06 AM
D

That's great! I can't wait to see the trailer! My excitment level is getting back up much higher than before. Also I love the idea of a Pachyrhinosaurus, a generally not very well known dinosaur to the general public, getting to shine on the big screen. It might become famous! (Or more famous than the fact it is a horned dinosaur with no face horns)

Roselaar

First trailer:

http://www.filmtotaal.nl/artikel.php?id=30906

Not impressed. Looks to much like a cross between Bambi and Dinosaur. And the dinosaurs still look overly digital (liked them better in 1999!) At least there's no humans though. And there's some interesting species.

What's with the sudden popularity of Pachyrhinosaurus though?

Yutyrannus

This looks like an awesome movie! I can't wait to go see it!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have to say I'm happy I didn't see one human ! lol

Honestly there were no flat textured backgrounds and surfaces, the dinosaurs looked good I think..they have a bit of character to them without harming the realistic look..there is a " digital " feel...but honestly I think we've just seen so much computer generated imagery anymore we can see through it. The 1999 WWD animals are also outdated..though I did enjoy the practical FX work.  Maybe the story feels old hat to us as well but it happens when you've seen so much..it sucks being an so old sometimes.  More complex stories inevitably involve talking dinosaurs or narration, some human element. Just look at those that didn't get Dinosaur Revolution.  I think many younger kids will love it...those that aren't completely obsessed with their phones and video games and can still use their imagination to enjoy a dinosaur experience.

scallenger

Well, that trailer looks pretty good! Really! It appears to be a very cinematic and even fun foray into the life of a dinosaur. Effects look great (definitely got a higher budget than any of the recent dino docs in the last few years, obviously, since they had TV budgets), I already see some interesting character work without going overboard, and the fact it'll be a 3D full-length film may bring in the current "younger fad" crowd that loves to see those kind of things.

I will say that a lot of this trailer reminded me of "March Of The Dinosaurs", but mostly just in the story I see. Obviously the players have changed, and the locale (although we even saw some snow-filled scenes in the trailer). But at least we have real backdrops this time (or at least mostly real).

Like everyone else, I still have some burning questions, though. We didn't see any humans in this trailer, but it doesn't mean there AREN'T any. Otherwise, what was the deal with that article a while back about that child actor? I still think humans somehow tie into this story, although it appears they aren't as LITERALLY involved at least, like, let's say, "T-Rex: Back To The Cretaceous".

For me one of the biggest questions still may seem a bit silly, but it's one that is now harder pressed in my mind after the trailer than before. How much of this movie will really resemble ANYTHING from the previous Walking With Dinosaurs entries? Because so far this thing seems more like "Walking With Dinosaurs: In Name Only" than some kind of prequel/sequel/remake. Although, I guess it could just be merely considered as a side story, but nothing in the trailer FELT like the same kind of style or similiar traits from any of the original programs. Is this a big deal? Not really. But it seems now more evident than before that the company making this is merely banking on the name rather than actually becoming truly another part of the "saga", if you will. I guess it's kind of like the "Live Experience" they have had for years. None of the dinosaurs in that show really resemble those from the series, despite plenty being species that had been in the series.

The above paragraph isn't really a negative, just merely an observation. I do however wonder if they will still connect the series in two ways: will Ben Bartlett return to do the music score? That would be GREAT. His music scores for "Dinosaurs", "Allosaurus", and "Beasts" were very cinematic for television scores. I can only imagine how great his score would be with a higher budget for the big screen. Also, humans or not, will there be narration in this film? I think it's safe to assume there will be, since this is a mainstream effort. I can't imagine them trying to be like "Dinotasia", not because it didn't work (I think it did), but because of the reaction by people. If so, is the narrator the guy we hear in the trailer, or will they connect this to the series by bringing back Kenneth Branagh? That would be great if they brought him back for it!

So, call me optimistic for this one, despite some feelings and questions I have. Either way, I will surely see this one in theaters when it comes out. It'll be just a few months before JP4, and I'm sure the anticipation for that film will have people in a dinosaur craze all over again, giving people a more realistic dinosaur taste before going back to Nublar/Sorna/Wherever the hell else Universal has in store...
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: