News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

I am excited about the 3D remake of the original series. But there is a confusion. Some press releases say it is set entirely in Alaska, 70 million years ago, and some say it has some of the original creatures of the series and it has the same settings as the original series. I'm hoping for the latter, but does anyone have a confirmation of which one it is? If it is the one set 70 million years ago, I'll be very sad, :(

tyrantqueen

It's being remade?! Since when? :O

Is it being remade as a new set of episodes or just rendered in 3D?

Takama

I heard about it last year. From what i remember, its going to be a big screen event(either I-Max or Theaters or both) and it was a ubdated remake of the series.

Blade-of-the-Moon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1762399/

QuoteTwo brothers wanting to follow in there fathers footsteps leads to a showdown in the Arctic North. Live action 3D shoot in Alaska and Australia.

Sept. 2011 news article : http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Journal-of-Commerce/September-2011/Avatar-class-3D-comes-to-Alaska-studio/

Roselaar

The plot sounds rather disappointing, taking the Nigel Marven route for the WWD specials. I much prefer the all-dinosaur approach, narrated by some great British actor.

And I would much prefer it in 2D... here we go again...

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll save my opinions til I actually see it. Doing one story is fine by me and it opens up the door to  do other films for other regions if it's successful.

I'm sure it will get released in 2D, if not in theaters than on dvd.  I wonder if it will be a nation wide theatrical release or just IMAX or something ?

Balaur

Quote from: Roselaar on July 19, 2012, 12:15:19 PM
The plot sounds rather disappointing, taking the Nigel Marven route for the WWD specials. I much prefer the all-dinosaur approach, narrated by some great British actor.

And I would much prefer it in 2D... here we go again...

Imdb isn't very accurate, so I wouldn't use that. However, that plot also may refer to the dinosaurs, migrating, following their father, and some sort of violence erupts during the migration. I rather much prefer the whole remake thing, but now that I think of it, I'm okay with the single story. I went to Evergreen Films website, and while it says that a 3D movie based on Walking with Dinosaurs is being made following the adventures of a Pachyrhinosaurus, However, apparently the website also states that they and BBC Earth are making two 3D feature films. Two Walking with Dinosaurs?

scallenger

Well to me the plot sounds too similar, in setting mostly, to "March of the Dinosaurs", so I really hope this isn't what we are getting... ugh...
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Brontozaurus

Given the similarity in plot (and title, come to think of it), I think that maybe people are confusing March of the Dinosaurs with WWD, and thanks to the internet rumour mill we're getting reports that WW3D* is similar to March of the Dinosaurs.

*because WWD3D sounds lame
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's possible the people behind March of the Dinos heard the plot and scooped it for themselves...making a hurried, quick, cheap version before WWD came out. So even if it is a similar plot the cg will be better and the story more flush and fulfilling I'm sure.

Simon

If the 3D CGI is really "Avatar-like" the plot won't matter at all.  (Just like it basically didn't matter in Avatar itself.)

Balaur

Quote from: Simon on July 20, 2012, 06:20:51 PM
If the 3D CGI is really "Avatar-like" the plot won't matter at all.  (Just like it basically didn't matter in Avatar itself.)

Funny you should mention that. James Cameron is helping with WWD3D for them to use his 3D technology. This should be good.

Balaur

I dug a little bit more and found that Mark Witton is a consultant for WWD3D. On his website, he states he is a creature designer, and he mentioned, Troodon, Quetzalcoatlus, and the most surprising, Hesperonychus, Alexornis, and Alphadon! Oh, am I the only one here who is excited about Hesperonychs?

Oh, and David Krentz is on the project too!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on July 31, 2012, 03:09:09 AM
I dug a little bit more and found that Mark Witton is a consultant for WWD3D. On his website, he states he is a creature designer, and he mentioned, Troodon, Quetzalcoatlus, and the most surprising, Hesperonychus, Alexornis, and Alphadon! Oh, am I the only one here who is excited about Hesperonychs?

Nice to know. I'm sure Mark and of course David will make this uber-awesome ! ;D

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2012, 04:11:57 AM

Nice to know. I'm sure Mark and of course David will make this uber-awesome ! ;D

Hooray, maybe BBC can make up for their history of underfeathered troodonts!

Balaur

Quote from: Pixelboy on July 31, 2012, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2012, 04:11:57 AM

Hooray, maybe BBC can make up for their history of underfeathered troodonts!

Oh yes they can! Go Hesperonychus!

Balaur

Any new news on this what is to be epic film? Apart from apiece of info I found very, very disappointing.

Yutyrannus

I wonder, could this be an early design for the Troodon? I found it on Mark Witton's website.

[attachment msg=19022][/attachment]

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 19, 2012, 01:07:03 AM
I wonder, could this be an early design for the Troodon? I found it on Mark Witton's website.

Yeah. I knew that for a while, but it's a nice design. Good things it's going to have feathers and actual wings!  :)

Ikessauro

A really good thing would be a whole new series, with new locations and new critters, everything done in WWD quality (including real models, not just CGI). Doesn't matter if it's 3D or not.

But a movie special is a good start. I think being a movie it can be longer and give us a deeper look into one specific environment, which a lot more species and events. Better yet would be if it does get a lot of attention, thus bringing chances of a sequel on another locale.

Regarding the info we got on this, I'd say it's got potential, but I'm not gonna expect too much. It's got the WWD tag on it? Better be really good! Oh, before I forget it, I have to say that all that North American Cretaceous stuff is getting a bit overused on dino shows. I now it's not 65 million years ago, but anyway.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: