News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2019 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, December 30, 2017, 02:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 17, 2018, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 17, 2018, 12:22:01 AM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 16, 2018, 05:29:42 PM
might i ask, what scale is the safari Inostrancevia? i would love to see an anteosaurus made at the same scale

It's about 1:25 by my measuring tape.

crimany. that would mean that anteosaurus would be roughly 8.82 inches at the same scale. that would be an epic figure

That would work for me! A lot of the best Permian figures are around that scale, so it would fit right in.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Is 8 inches really all that large? I think I have a few Colorata that are almost that long... That wouldn't be much larger than most Wild Safari, only a few inches longer than the previous standard size.

spinosaurus1

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 18, 2018, 03:32:21 AM
Is 8 inches really all that large? I think I have a few Colorata that are almost that long... That wouldn't be much larger than most Wild Safari, only a few inches longer than the previous standard size.
Ita closer to 9 inches then 8. And I imagine that at such size, it would have quite a commanding presence. And keep in mind that anteosaurus was a rather cumbersome beast with an impressive skull size in contrast to its body. I'm fully aware that it won't be safari's largest figure, but for a non mamalian synapsid figure, it will look beastly at that size.

Renecito

My wish list:
Dinosaurs:

Carnotaurus: We have the great Carnegie's in 1/30 scale but now i need one in 1/40 scale as good or better than Carnegie's (which is the best i've seen til this date), so i want to be amazed with a new rendition of my favorite dinosaur.

Spinosaurus: I know they can do it better than CollectA.

And 2 prehistoric fishes:

Xiphactinus and Leedsichthys
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Doug Watson

Its funny when I first started lurking here before I exposed myself (you know what I mean) I used to get excited when I knew that we were doing something at Safari Ltd that someone wanted here because I thought they would go crazy when it was revealed. Unfortunately I soon learned that if 30 people here asked for a certain prehistoric animal they would all have 30 different ideas of what it should look like, what colour it should be and heaven forbid it is not the right size and in some cases none of the 30 ideas would match mine  :'(  As they say you can't please everyone, so why bother or something like that.  ;) (please note winky face)

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 30, 2018, 09:00:18 PM
Its funny when I first started lurking here before I exposed myself (you know what I mean) I used to get excited when I knew that we were doing something at Safari Ltd that someone wanted here because I thought they would go crazy when it was revealed. Unfortunately I soon learned that if 30 people here asked for a certain prehistoric animal they would all have 30 different ideas of what it should look like and what colour it should be and in some cases none of the 30 ideas would match mine  :'(  As they say you can't please everyone, so why bother or something like that.  ;) (please note winky face)

MOAH PLANTS!!!  ;D

Renecito

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 30, 2018, 09:00:18 PM
Its funny when I first started lurking here before I exposed myself (you know what I mean) I used to get excited when I knew that we were doing something at Safari Ltd that someone wanted here because I thought they would go crazy when it was revealed. Unfortunately I soon learned that if 30 people here asked for a certain prehistoric animal they would all have 30 different ideas of what it should look like and what colour it should be and in some cases none of the 30 ideas would match mine  :'(  As they say you can't please everyone, so why bother or something like that.  ;) (please note winky face)

That's true, but you are a genius. I know my Carnotaurus and Spinosaurus request is in the best hands!!!  :))
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Shonisaurus

A spinosaurus (according to the latest discoveries) and a carnotaurus made by the great Doug Watson on a scale such as the feathered tyrannosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus would be great. They are two figures very demanded by the collectors among those of all the life.

It would be the best spinosaurus and carnotaurus made by any company so far. I'm sure.  ;)

Sim

For Wild Safari 2019, I'd really like to see the following:

Stegosaurus
Unlike a couple of earlier posts in this thread, I don't hope this would be made to look like (Scott Hartman's skeletal of) the "Sophie" specimen.  I think it would be good to refer to Sophie, as whether the figure represents it or not Sophie could provide useful information for the figure.  However, as has been pointed out in the thread about it, the Sophie specimen differs from other Stegosaurus specimens in noticeable ways, and there's uncertainty about some parts of its anatomy in reconstructions such as Scott Hartman's.  Dinoguy2 put it well in Reply #7 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5090.msg150851#msg150851
I agree with Dinoguy2 in being sceptical about the long neck in Scott Hartman's skeletal.  One thing I'd like to comment on is, Sophie is considered to be a young adult Stegosaurus stenops?  Does that mean its plates are not fully grown, the S. stenops holotype (USNM 4934) for example has plates that are proportionally larger than Sophie's.  Also, the maximum length I've seen given for S. stenops is 7m, while Sophie is 5.6m long.  So it could be that Sophie's plates are at a not fully grown stage, or maybe they could represent sexual dimorphism relative to the larger-plated S. stenops specimens.  Either way, it could mean that for those caring about figures being to scale with each other, it might not be accurate for a figure that represents Sophie to be scaled to be 7m long, as a Stegosaurus that looks like it might never have reached that length. 
Sophie is a great specimen, but I don't think it's the be all and end all for an accurate Stegosaurus.  The S. stenops holotype for example represents a different-looking Stegosaurus and like Sophie it preserves a lot of the animal, it also preserves the throat armour which Sophie doesn't.
My preference for a new Wild Safari Stegosaurus would be for it to represent a large-plated Stegosaurus stenops.  Representing Sophie would be the second best option for me.  However, what I'd really like is for Doug Watson to choose to represent Stegosaurus as he'd like to, if he makes one for Wild Safari.  And it's Doug I'd like to see make a new Wild Safari Stegosaurus.  He researches things thoroughly, and I feel his sculpting style works so well on thyreophorans.  Doug's also never done a stegosaur for Wild Safari, I'm curious to see how one by him would look.  If he does a Stegosaurus, I expect it would be amazing!

Deinonychus
The 2017 Wild Safari Velociraptor by Doug Watson has become one of my favourite prehistoric animal figures.  It's an awe-inspiring figure with wonderful detail.  I'd like Doug to do a Deinonychus as well.  I can imagine a Deinonychus by Doug with a lovely, extensive tail feathering arrangement like on the 2017 WS Velociraptor, an accurate skull (like Scott Hartman's skeletal/Gregory Paul's skeletal in his Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs books), a nice size (perhaps the same size as the 2017 WS Velociraptor/in the same scale as the WS Coelophysis)...  It could be SO good!

Herrerasaurus
I like the Wild Safari Coelophysis by Doug Watson very much, it's another one of my favourite prehistoric figures.  I'd like to see Doug do a Herrerasaurus too.  There's quite different ways to reconstruct the integument of Herrerasaurus, essentially choosing whether to make it feathered or scaly.  Whichever option would be chosen, I think if Doug were to do a Herrerasaurus it would be a very interesting figure.

Plateosaurus
My preference for which sculptor I'd like to see make this one isn't as strong as it is for the previous three animals I've expressed wanting to see made in this post.  What makes me prefer Doug to be the one to make a Plateosaurus, is that on their scaly dinosaurs the mystery sculptor adds lines to the skin that to me don't seem realistic.  This is quite noticeable on the Wild Safari Malawisaurus's neck and tail, and on the Wild Safari Giganotosaurus for example.  Additionally, I dislike how the WS Giganotosaurus's skin appears to have random raised bumps.  I also wouldn't want to see skeletal face paint like on the WS Amargasaurus and Malawisaurus again.

Shonisaurus

A styracosaurus and no scale (large size) would be interesting for Doug Watson to do since he would be very precise and very competitive with the rest of the toy dinosaur companies.

The styracosaurus is a figure in which Doug Watson, good connoisseur of paleontology and dinosaurs and a great sculptor of ceraptosides would do so with a beauty and scientific accuracy that is totally guaranteed.  :)

Daspletodave

How about an ornithomimid - - ANY ornithomimid?

Ravonium

My wishes for Safari Ltd next year (most of which have been seconded from other users):

Stegosaurus
Allosaurus
Pteranodon
Arctodus
Dodo
Sarchosuchus
Ambulocetus
Meiolania
Dakotaraptor
Pelagornis
Baryonyx
Leedsichthys
Armadillosuchus
Vegavis
Steller's sea cow
Megalania
Platecarpus

Dobber

Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Dakotaraptor, and Allosaurus.

I agree with Sim. The recent feathered Velociraptor is a work of art/masterpiece. Still no good modern/accurate representations of Deinonychus, Utahraptor, or Dakotaraptor. Considering how the first 2 influenced JP it's a shame.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shonisaurus

Although it is not a dinosaur Safari could do a paraceratherium on a 1:20 scale, I would like it to be done by Doug Watson. It is a figure that has been represented by many companies, but still unfortunately there is no figure of that creature worthy of being taken into account in the toy market.

Mr. Doug Watson would make a magnificent paraceratherium at 1:20 scale. It is one of my favorite prehistoric mammals.

They could also make a marine reptile such as icthyosaurus, excalibosaurus, shonisaurus. It is an iconic figure in the world of paleontology.

As for the herbivorous dinosaurs it would be a good idea to make an ornithopod hadrosaurs such as corythosaurus, lambesoaurus or an ornitopod like the shantungosaurus in scale such as tyrannosaurus and triceratops. It would also be interesting a maisaura (after the disappearance of Carnegie maisaura we do not have a representative for this line of toys).

On the other hand an albertosaurus, daspletosaurus, alioramus, gorgosaurus or a tarbosaurus (tyrannosaurus bataar) or a zhuchengtirannus for example. Except tyrannosaurus rex the other tyrannosaurs are not in Safari market now enough represented (especially after the disappearance of the Carnegie albertosaurus to give an example). They are prehistoric animals that I understand would be sold massively in the toy market. If tyrannosaurus rex is sold as the most emblematic figure of prehistoric animals, would not it be a good idea to make figures of animals of your species, bearing in mind that they are very similar?  :)

Jose S.M.

I've posted like three times here, but every time you think about coming years you find something new you want. I would love to see a good, big Lambeosaurus made  by Doug, also I maintain my wish for Maiasaura and a 1:35 Edmontosaurus. I also would like to see smaller ornithopods like Hipsilophodon, Dryosaurus, Orodromeous, and some ornithomimids like Gallimimus. A Carnotaurus is something I'm sure lots of people want to see, and for tyrannosaurs I think Albertosaurus would be the best choice, as it's different than Tyrannosaurus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on February 01, 2018, 03:41:43 PM
For Wild Safari 2019, I'd really like to see the following:

Stegosaurus
Unlike a couple of earlier posts in this thread, I don't hope this would be made to look like (Scott Hartman's skeletal of) the "Sophie" specimen.  I think it would be good to refer to Sophie, as whether the figure represents it or not Sophie could provide useful information for the figure.  However, as has been pointed out in the thread about it, the Sophie specimen differs from other Stegosaurus specimens in noticeable ways, and there's uncertainty about some parts of its anatomy in reconstructions such as Scott Hartman's.  Dinoguy2 put it well in Reply #7 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5090.msg150851#msg150851
I agree with Dinoguy2 in being sceptical about the long neck in Scott Hartman's skeletal.  One thing I'd like to comment on is, Sophie is considered to be a young adult Stegosaurus stenops?  Does that mean its plates are not fully grown, the S. stenops holotype (USNM 4934) for example has plates that are proportionally larger than Sophie's.  Also, the maximum length I've seen given for S. stenops is 7m, while Sophie is 5.6m long.  So it could be that Sophie's plates are at a not fully grown stage, or maybe they could represent sexual dimorphism relative to the larger-plated S. stenops specimens.  Either way, it could mean that for those caring about figures being to scale with each other, it might not be accurate for a figure that represents Sophie to be scaled to be 7m long, as a Stegosaurus that looks like it might never have reached that length. 
Sophie is a great specimen, but I don't think it's the be all and end all for an accurate Stegosaurus.  The S. stenops holotype for example represents a different-looking Stegosaurus and like Sophie it preserves a lot of the animal, it also preserves the throat armour which Sophie doesn't.
My preference for a new Wild Safari Stegosaurus would be for it to represent a large-plated Stegosaurus stenops.  Representing Sophie would be the second best option for me.  However, what I'd really like is for Doug Watson to choose to represent Stegosaurus as he'd like to, if he makes one for Wild Safari.  And it's Doug I'd like to see make a new Wild Safari Stegosaurus.  He researches things thoroughly, and I feel his sculpting style works so well on thyreophorans.  Doug's also never done a stegosaur for Wild Safari, I'm curious to see how one by him would look.  If he does a Stegosaurus, I expect it would be amazing!

Yup. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a figure of Sophie. I don't think we should be insisting that every figure depicts a mature adult, or a "typical" individual. But I'm troubled by the need to homogenize these things. I wrote on my blog about the plan at Yale to shorten the hind legs of their S. ungulatus mount to be more in line with Sophie and Hesperosaurus, despite the fact that from what I can tell the hind legs are original to the holotype (!) and longer hind limbs is an actual diagnostic character of ungulatus! We need to be aware of these individual and species-level variations. How cool would it be for a company like Safari to do two different individuals or species of the same genus and release them together? Like the old Carnegie Apatosaurus and Australopithecus...

But I'm getting off track. The important thing here is to get that Pterodactylus made! 1:1 scale, to show CollectA who's boss ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on February 17, 2018, 12:22:38 PM
Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Dakotaraptor, and Allosaurus.

I agree with Sim. The recent feathered Velociraptor is a work of art/masterpiece. Still no good modern/accurate representations of Deinonychus, Utahraptor, or Dakotaraptor. Considering how the first 2 influenced JP it's a shame.

Chris

Yes, the 2017 Wild Safari Velociraptor is outstanding. :)

Dakotaraptor is known from a lot of the forelimb and hindlimb, some tail bones, and almost nothing else.  I personally wouldn't want a Dakotaraptor figure as parts of Dakotaraptor that strongly affect its appearance would have to be invented, and I think it's very likely if more of Dakotaraptor's skeleton is discovered any figure of it would end up being inaccurate, similar to what happened with Utahraptor.  In particular, no-one knows what the head of Dakotaraptor looks like and dromaeosaurid heads can look very different.  This is how I feel about Dakotaraptor, anyway.

Has Utahraptor influenced JP?  As far as I know the dromaeosaurids that influenced JP are just Deinonychus and Velociraptor.  In addition to inspiring Jurassic Park, Deinonychus is also what started the dinosaur renaissance!  Deinonychus is the dromaeosaurid I'd most like to see next from Wild Safari.  After Deinonychus, I would like Utahraptor to also be made for Wild Safari, provided its anatomy is accurate to the new remains of this animal.

Jose S.M.

The Battat and Safari Utahraptor are kind of jp looking in that they are featherless and the bodies look like jp raptors, although their heads are different.

suspsy

I don't see how Utahraptor could have possibly influenced JP given that its discovery was announced after the release of the original film.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Quote from: suspsy on February 18, 2018, 03:40:19 AM
I don't see how Utahraptor could have possibly influenced JP given that its discovery was announced after the release of the original film.

I thought it was JP influencing the design of Safari Utahraptor, I got it the wrong way  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: