News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Vinyl Dinoland Reference Thread v2

Started by tyrantqueen, January 28, 2018, 01:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

The old thread was made pretty much useless due to Photobucket's interference. If you have good, clear photos, please contribute! Both kits and prebuilt vinyls are welcome. Please state the scale and the sculptor if you know their name. You can submit a photo even if that particular model has already been posted by someone else- the more the merrier (especially since some of my photos are rather poor) :)

A bit of background info, credit to Blackdanter for this (bear in mind this was written 2010 so the information on pricing and scarcity is probably out of date by now):
QuoteKaiyodo produced a large line of these figures predominantly in kit form...I will list all of the models made available but not all of these garage type kits were available as pre made figures, at least not for export outside of Japan. Also, these finished models were available in different paint schemes although, by and large, the paint schemes are a bit basic in my opinion and certainly don't match more recent Kaiyodo model releases. That said, they do have a charm that is of their time.

These figures are now scarce. They were produced in very small numbers and were expensive in their day and consequently are costly now. The kits are easier to source and regularly pop up on Ebay but even these seem to be increasing in price. In terms of the pre made figures, you can pick them up for around the £30 mark for the commoner ones. The sought after figures such as the 1/20 Rexes and Allo will set you back between £100 - £150 each. There are some really nice ultra rare paint scheme versions of these which would no doubt cost silly money but such is life I guess.

All of the pre-made figures come with a wooden plinth barring the Brachiosaurus which was deemed too large for a plinth to be economical! The final production run of the 1/35 2nd Rex and Allo came with a metal support rather than wooden plinth

1/20 Styracosaurus- Kazunari Araki

1/20 Anchiceratops- Kazunari Araki

1/20 Chasmosaurus- Shinobu Matsumura- painted by its previous owner, not me.

1/20 Triceratops- Kazunari Araki

1/20 Stegosaurus- Kazunari Araki

1/20 Allosaurus AKA Antrodemus- Shinobu Matsumura- reissued as part of the Dinotales series

1/20 Tyrannosaurus rex- Shinobu Matsumura? - mine is the Chocolasaurs prize version

1/35 Maiasaura- Shinobu Matsumura

1/20 Dilophosaurus- Shinobu Matsumura?

RobinGoodfellow

I should have pictures from the old DTF v1 thread saved on my computer before the Photobucket disaster..  ::)
I'll search for them soon...

Halichoeres

Thanks for reviving; this is a worthwhile series that doesn't get enough attention. I only have the Anchiceratops, so can't help out with photos without being redundant.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BrontoScorpio

Hi, tyrantqueen
It is fabulous you try to revive the thread for this line -
it is my absolute favorite.
few remarks I want to contribute :
- I think the Chasmosaurus is by Shinobu Matsumura.
- the Allosaurus in the picture is not from the DINOLAND serie - it is from a DINOTALES re-issue of 2013
( The DINOLAND version is slightly different, and the pre-made is blue ).
- the T-rex in the picture is a Chocolasaurs prize version of 2002 - there were 2 color ver., and also a white allo. which is rediculosly rare and expensive
( The DINOLAND version is slightly different, and the pre-made is purple\gray).

postsaurischian

^-^ Great idea for a long overdue thread. I'm showing only models that haven't been shown before or that are alternative versions.
       But first a few remarks:

- The 1/20 Chasmosaurus was sculpted by Shinobu Matsumura
         - Is your 1/20 Stegosaurus a prebuilt / prepainted version? I'm asking because I have never seen one.
         - Should we include the 100mm series as well?
         - The Dilophosaurus was indeed also sculpted by Matsumura.
           Your version is different from mine. Is it a vinyl version? Mine came boxed as a one piece full resin figure.

Dilophosaurus (no scale given) - Shinobu Matsumura (painted by Noora Kivisilta)

Here's one of the vintage ads blackdanter posted in the original thread:
         (Sorry for the red lines (that's my collection), I do not have the original pic anymore.)

1/20 Saltasaurus - Araki or Matsumura? (painted by Martin Garratt)

1/20 Stegosaurus - Kazunari Araki (painted by Noora Kivisilta)

1/35 Camarasaurus - Shinobu Matsumura

1/20 Ankylosaurus - Kazunari Araki

1/20 Allosaurus - Shinobu Matsumura (original Dinoland version)

1/20 Allosaurus - Shinobu Matsumura (Dinotales Collection "green" version - more like yellow)

1/20 Parasaurolophus - Kazunari Araki (bottom picture - re-painted by Martin Garratt)

1/35 Maiasaura - Shinobu Matsumura (re-painted by Martin Garratt)

1/35 running Tyrannosaurus - Shinobu Matsumura (painted by Martin Garratt)

1/20 Triceratops - Kazunari Araki (painted by Martin Garratt)

tyrantqueen

Thanks Brontoscorpio for the corrections, I had no idea about the reissues.

QuoteIs your 1/20 Stegosaurus a prebuilt / prepainted version? I'm asking because I have never seen one.

It was purchased from Yahoo! Japan, it was mostly likely a kit version which had been built up by its previous owner (and was in pretty poor condition, judging from the broken thagomizer and fluoro paintjob). I think BotM owns it now, not sure what he did with it.

Quote- The Dilophosaurus was indeed also sculpted by Matsumura.
           Your version is different from mine. Is it a vinyl version? Mine came boxed as a one piece full resin figure.

I'm not sure, it felt like resin but the arms and legs needed attaching to the body.

Quote- Should we include the 100mm series as well?
As long as it says Dinoland on the box, I don't see why not.

P.S I do believe that I sold that Salta to you :) It's looking great!

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 28, 2018, 04:06:19 PM
I do believe that I sold that Salta to you :) It's looking great!

Yes, of course! It's one of the four treasures I got from you :) .

Quote- Should we include the 100mm series as well?
As long as it says Dinoland on the box, I don't see why not.

Cool! Here are the first two:
   (I have no idea who the sculptors of the 100mm line are. If someone does, please let us know!)

100mm Tyrannosaurus  (unpainted puzzle version)

100mm Dimetrodon  (unpainted version)

Two more Dinoland items from even earlier days:

Monoclonius skull - Shigeru Yamazaki

This page is from 'The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs' © 2010 by Gregory S. Paul

1/35 Euoplocephalus - ????

acro-man

1/20 Ankylosaurus - Kazunari Araki
another paint app

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

tyrantqueen

RobinGoodfellow

In the old DTF v1 there were pictures of all Kaiyodo Dinoland figures + never used prototypes.
After the Photobucket mess, all pictures are gone.
I saved those pictures on my Mac before the disaster.
I created a new Album on my Flickr.
So here you can see all those wonderful figures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157692748100545

Please, feel free to re-post pictures here if you want..  :)

postsaurischian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 28, 2018, 09:19:40 PM
In the old DTF v1 there were pictures of all Kaiyodo Dinoland figures .......

:D Good to see those beautiful pics again. Very good that you saved them, Robin!

Quote- The Dilophosaurus was indeed also sculpted by Matsumura.

I'm not sure, it felt like resin but the arms and legs needed attaching to the body.

This is what mine looked like when I got it:

and this is what the 100mm Tyrannosaurus puzzle looked like when I got it:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

100mm Barosaurus

100mm Allosaurus

100mm Stegosaurus

BrontoScorpio

I saved those pictures on my Mac before the disaster....  :)
It's a wonderful thing that you saved all those pics Robin.
Some of them are of realy old DINOLANDs - I wasn't even aware of.
The 5 bottom pics reminded me I got somewhere 3 Kaiyodo DINOLAND Resin kits from the 80's -
that I don't have a clue how to assemble and how they should look like

BrontoScorpio

I think this thread should move to "Dinosaur lines" or "collection" ....

tyrantqueen

In the old DTF v1 there were pictures of all Kaiyodo Dinoland figures + never used prototypes.
After the Photobucket mess, all pictures are gone.
I created a new Album on my Flickr.
So here you can see all those wonderful figures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157692748100545

Please, feel free to re-post pictures here if you want..  :)

Weren't those Kaiyodos from Dan LoRusso's/Dinosaur Studio Facebook? They were never posted on DTF. You can still find them on the Studio facebook https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheDinosaurStudio/photos/?ref=page_internal

I don't think there's any need to post them again if they're being hosted in two places...

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 28, 2018, 03:57:21 PM
         Here's one of the vintage ads blackdanter posted in the original thread:
         (Sorry for the red lines (that's my collection), I do not have the original pic anymore.)
Well,
here is a 'fresh' add :

Some of the smaller dinos here ( 100mm serie ) are of the same prototype but are made of soft vinyl ( or other 'rubber' ), instead of Resin.
I read somewhere it was for the Osaka 1993 "Dino Alive" Expo:

And a nice collection :

ITdactyl

Was that quetz ever released/produced?

On a sidenote, the closed mouth looks better on the Brachiosaurus IMO.  It's like he's just humming along to his favorite tune (not that real dinosaurs do that ;D )...

BrontoScorpio

I think it did.
Here's few examples :

tyrantqueen

I have the Dinoland skulls (Brachiosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Pachycephosaurus and Allosaurus).

BrontoScorpio

Nice collection of skulls -
Never seen them displayed before - I guess those were not at all easy to acquire.
As for me, Personally, I don't like to be stared at ,behind my back, in my home, by skulls with sharp teeth -
too morbid and macabre for my taste...   ;) ;) ;)

postsaurischian

:D I love the skulls. Wish I had more of them, especially the Lambeosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: