News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo Vinyl Dinoland Reference Thread v2

Started by tyrantqueen, January 28, 2018, 01:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

libersaurus

It is no exaggeration to say I owe my love of paleoart and kit building to this Dinoland thread on DTF. I'm eternally grateful to you longtime members who kept this thing going, carried it over from 'the old one' etc. Papo made me a collector, true, but Dinoland made me a painter. I have poured over the images here countless times and it is a real honor for me to finally contribute my work to the thread! 

I've only been painting for about a year now so I've kept to simple schemes. I hope you all enjoy these selections  - my Anchiceratops and ultra rare Elasmosaurus kits are still WIP, tho I've included some prefab and raw kits below, too. Btw, more of my work can be found at instagram.com/tjacksonrichards
Thank you all! 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome!

I still need to find that Anky and Camara models.

Halichoeres

L @libersaurus that's an amazing collection. I only have the Anchiceratops finished version (the pale green one), as most of these run a bit larger than I prefer. But these are among the most timeless sculpts ever made, even as some of the anatomy has become outdated.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

libersaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 31, 2020, 09:32:44 PM
But these are among the most timeless sculpts ever made, even as some of the anatomy has become outdated.

Absolutely! So much beauty and life in the series, many classics of individual species. I adore large vinyl models/kits so I don't collect extensively beyond Dinoland and the big PNSO figures - a few irresistible resin kits, an occasional Papo, Collecta, etc. But mainly I like the tops of my bookshelves to feel like a 1/20 scale Natural History Museum ;)   

And I must relate again how grateful I am to the 'keepers' of this thread! Dinoland forever!

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: libersaurus on August 07, 2020, 07:06:54 AM
It is no exaggeration to say I owe my love of paleoart and kit building to this Dinoland thread on DTF....Papo made me a collector, true, but Dinoland made me a painter....

I admit I too was hooked for good by the DINOLAND line -
I think I'll steal and revise your sentence :" Papo made me a collector, true, but Dinoland made me an addict" ...

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 17, 2020, 03:55:36 AM
How many Wagamamasaurus figures have been made?
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=154077559009&category=2624&pm=1&ds=0&t=1600311192479&cspheader=1

[nods gravely] Well, I generally avoid skeleton-only reconstructions, so I'm still waiting for the definitive version of this oft-ignored genus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CityRaptor

Well, that one looks rather generic...also shouldn't that be in the Tsukuda thread?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

libersaurus

Quote from: triceratops83 on September 16, 2020, 10:32:54 PM
This seller has a few - I've been looking at a couple, but they're a bit pricey.

Those are indeed outrageously overpriced, even for precious raw kits, which is likely why they've been available for purchase for as long as I've been hunting Dinoland.

Halichoeres

This Rhamphorhynchus kit is on YAJ right now. It's a Rhamphorhynchus plucking a fish from the surface of the water. Not sure what kind of fish it is, could be Tharsis? Anyway, don't think I had seen this kit before.

An assembled and painted sample:

As much as I love fish, too rich for my blood.

Shonisaurus

Did you make that kit? It has been great. That rhamphorhynchus reminds me of the retro figures of that Budian pterosaur.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 16, 2020, 11:49:37 AM
Did you make that kit? It has been great. That rhamphorhynchus reminds me of the retro figures of that Budian pterosaur.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus no I didn't build it, I don't own this kit. It's a sample shown by the seller and unfortunately I don't know who built and painted it.

tyra-rex2

Here are a couple of Dinoland models on my shelves.  Obviously, more paint is needed and eventually I will get around to it (it has only been around 25 years so far).

As a bonus, I was in Tokyo at the end of 2018 and visited the Kaiyodo store in the Akihabara district.  While they were not concentrating too much on dinosaurs anymore, here is their selection of Allosaurs and Tyrannosaurs.

tyra-rex2

Here are better pictures of the 1/35 Allosaurus and Camarasaurus along with an unfinished Elasmosaurus.  I filled the leg on the Allosaur with plaster and ran a nail through it to attach it to the base so the support was used elsewhere.

Wallnut

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 29, 2018, 08:17:56 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 28, 2018, 03:57:21 PM
         Here's one of the vintage ads blackdanter posted in the original thread:
         (Sorry for the red lines (that's my collection), I do not have the original pic anymore.)
Well,
here is a 'fresh' add :

Some of the smaller dinos here ( 100mm serie ) are of the same prototype but are made of soft vinyl ( or other 'rubber' ), instead of Resin.
I read somewhere it was for the Osaka 1993 "Dino Alive" Expo:

And a nice collection :

Can someone translete the sentences on the catalog also theres a couple of saltasaurus in ebay.

agee

I just stumbled into this discussion and am very happy to see the collections of the OG Kaiyodo vinyl kits. I became aware of the kits in the early 90's, just before Jurassic Park. I was able to pick up most of the 1/20th scale kits, including the brachiosaurus. Nowadays, it seems that they are overlooked. I am glad to find others that still appreciate them.

Which leads me to a favor. I posted a photo on the "identification" thread and got no real hints. As you are more Kaiyodo fluent, perhaps you may have an idea about the large, unidentified brontosaur model in the photo. I found the photo in an ebay listing for a Kaiyodo saltasaurus. The seller posted an image he found online, which includes multiple kits for scale reference, including the Horizon Jurassic Park brachiosaur, the Kaiyodo brachiosaur, the Horizon Apatosaurus, Kaiyodo saltasaurus and an unnamed brontosaur. 

I am guessing the kit(?) would have been produced in the early nineties

If anyone has any information on it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is the posting; thanks!

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=84.2420

also, anyone still interested in picking up some of the dinoland kits: there are some active ebay  listings now for ok prices

1/35 trex
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiyodo-Dinoland-Tyranosaurus-1-35-Scale-Soft-Vinyl-Model-Kit/402752468120?hash=item5dc5eaf498:g:4XcAAOSwcTJgUQuP

brontosaur
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiyodo-Dinoland-Brontosaurus-1-35-Scale-Vinyl-Display-Model/324337258955?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

recent reissue trex
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyrannosaurus-Brown-color-1-20-Soft-Vinyl-Figure/202174083941?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm only missing the Ankylosaurus..still looking for him.

sauroid

you guys are lucky, i only have this one Dinoland piece...

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.