You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

That Lego exhibition is quite nice,  I always loved their rebuilds of African fauna in Billund, really fantastic what shapes can be realized with just basic bricks. But that gift shop, yeah, quite represents Legos current state in terms of knowing their customers and serving them. Not that they have more dinosaur related products then ever before....

BrontoScorpio

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Next, for my next building assignment :  Quetzalcoatlus from the 'three Pterosaur set' by Kazunari Araki 1994 :

Fortunately, parts were already coloured :

But, glueing them back proved much harder than initially seemed :

Probably because of the small surface area and not able to rely on own weight :

But, the result really is impressing :

The three set is a builtup kit, consists of two other smaller ones

- Quetzalcoatlus ( ケツァルコアトルス )
- Pteranodon ( プテラノドン )
- Anhanguera ( アンハングエラ )

When  finished, it's a beautiful set :

Here the base was built by Araki himself ( 4th pictures set ) and the small pic shows it among other pterosaurs :

Here's another color suggestion, taken from a children book made by Araki :

A later addition :
The kit is very rare and I saw it offered only 3 times in the 6 years between 2017 to 2023 in these auctions here after - with my USD Conversion -

The last of which, that has taken through 'The June Carnage on YAJ, 2023', included Pterosaurs from other lines, Including the Goblin factory,
the rarest 1:100 scale DINOLAND Quetzalcoatlus  and the hunting Rhamphorhynchus by Shinobu Matsumura :

BrontoScorpio

Next, are two Resin Velociraptors with prey, early 90's by Araki :

Velociraptor Type I :

One was completely dismentalled or broken when I got it -

The predator :

The prey :

Velociraptor Type II , 1993, Araki :

With this unique posture - there is a great sideways vector momentum at the hip and ankle.

Putty or glue will not have hold it - so, I took a steel nail - covered it with putty - and that did the trick :

Probably written by the original owner of the item, done for some contest or exhibition :

And here they are together :

I admit there are some defects :

- The dark one ( Type I ) - I attached the tail - but then saw it points upwards too high to fit in my cabinet - so, I took it off - and only then remembered to take pictures ...
- The red one ( Type II ) - It is perfectly able to stand on it's own - But, the momentum seems to me so high, I don't want to face with a nasty surprise some day in the future ..

And, of course, the most obvious - Type II is lacking it's prey :

However, there are 2 versions of that prey.
There is this one ( here, from a Photo from YAJ ) - it is a kind of an early reptile - some lizard of a sort :

But, in all literature I found, it is a baby Protoceratops, snatched from the nest :

Here, at  the left-most, in Araki book for the old Stout like models :

In a children book :

And in the dedicated book, follows by 'stories' of the events ( kind of like the PNSO books ) :

I think I prefer the Lizard version, it makes it more interesting.
To conclude, here is the Museeo paint version for the two Raptors :

Shonisaurus

Nice addition to your collection. The PNSO tyrannosaurus vinyl version is a great figure and I think that among collectors her vinyl figure is not yet valued enough for being something retro, however it is a figure that is in the acceptable term and bordering on notoriety.

BrontoScorpio

It has been a year ( give away 2 weeks .. ) since I last posted a new Acquisition of mine.
I felt out of touched  with the constant chase over the next new retail available model - Maybe  I no longer belong to the right age group.
In any case, I have long stopped buying those newly arrived PVC models, after my first year of collecting,
having thinking to myself they would probably end up polluting the soil on some costal shore of an African country in a couple of years ...

One of the advantages of such attitude is that I no longer suffer the anticipation for the next model to become available - and order them one by one -
As it happen to be - I glanced over from time to time, seeing the PNSO range becoming larger and larger - and finally though "why not ? ... ".

As I am pretty proud of myself having resisting the urge to acquire all other Chinese brands,
which I think will end up too formidable and space consuming to be displayed at home, without ending up looking like a horror show -
I find the PNSO collection to be much more pleasant to the eye, small in scale enough and colorful just at the right amount, without becoming looking like a display shelf in a toy store.

So, last month I just supplemented my collection with the last 2 years of PNSO additions.
some came with original box, some, like Aliexpress often does, came just wrapped in Polyfoam etc.
Just to learn the scale number of those with original boxes :

As PNSO is quite common in "Recent Acquisitions" posts - I find no particular advantage in showing yet again pictures of individual figures from different angles - God knows there are enough of those here.
What I had trouble finding are group shots of the models - compared to one another.
So, I figured to make some myself.Here's a shot of my newly arrived PNSO Dinosaurs :

And from above :

My 5 old PNSO Dinosaurs from 2-3(?) years ago :

All together now :

And from above :

I deliberately did not buy any of the minis - As I figured it will be awkward displaying them together with non related measure scale -

But, some of the Ceratops were just too irresistible :

And the small microraptors could easily pass as made with the right scale along the other models -
All found a perching spot on a Scleich old Tree :

The last 3 models had a really nice poster attached ( Torvosaurus , Tarbosaurus , Yutyrannus ) -

And finally, the most difficult task - allocating a shelf space for all new models :
Lower shelf :

Some repositioning ... :

Upper shelf - holding primely the 1st wave of PNSO Figures :

According to this old PNSO leaflet of 'Future works' :

And my PNSO family as displayed all together :

Display from above :

BrontoScorpio

... A small addition to the ABOVE :
I made for myself A chart for the PNSO models made so far ( with the exception of A few I wasn't interested of having ) :

I decided to let go The Nanotyrannus, having resembling too much to other larger PNSO's and rudely asking the same price.
The 2nd Stegosaurus, although better looking upgraded version and better suited scale-wise to the other models, just doesn't seem to worth the 60$-70$ required  -
( I have re-scaled 1 picture, to have both models the same scale )

BrontoScorpio

The new 5 dinosaurs set by Qualia ( ガチャ 恐竜図鑑 スタンドフィギュア クオリア )
Done by 2 artists from the 'C.S. Model Design' Modeling insitute ( Mr. Tsukimura, Mr. Tanaka ).
Comes in 5 individual capsules :

Before assembly :

And the complete Set :

It is very nicely made, and I particularly like the Deinonychus and Lambeosaurus -
See the high-resolution with detailed expressions such as teeth, feathers, and sickle claws.
I'm surprised that you can do this with a 400 yen gacha :

There is a Larger Resin Garage-kit version of the Deinonychus- that I have bought and assembled.
I will describe it later - but here's a comparison shot of the two :

The Carnotaurus also reminds me of a larger Resin Garage-Kit version made by a different company ( 頭足人 ).
Somehow, recently it appears all carnotaurus seem to be standing on one leg only :

Shonisaurus

Woof! What a lot of additions. I'm glad for you. You have very good taste when it comes to buying new figures for your collection. My congratulations.

Fenestra

Congratulations on your massive PNSO haul and thank you for the group pictures.
I find them very helpful.
The Qualia set is very interesting. All have dynamic poses and pleasing paint jobs.

Faelrin

Wow it is amazing seeing so many of the PNSO figures all displayed together. Looks excellent. Congrats.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duna

Congrats, that's the best PNSO display I've ever seen ...

By the way, those 5 Qualia are amazing, at the level of the Kaiyodos. I love the Edmontosaurus's "hooves".

Kapitaenosavrvs

Absolutely massive. Thank you very much for sharing. Nice to see the Qualias in hand of Members here.

BrontoScorpio

Thanks all.

If it's of any influence or encouragement - I take back my Previous remark about Nanotyrranus.
I also don't think it's nice enough or big enough to deserve such a high price.
My collection, meanwhile , will stay as it is.

BrontoScorpio

4 modest Vitae dinosaur figures I got from LANA-TIME-SHOP.

I think that concludes my Chinese adventure :

Bread

Congratulations on all your additions to your collection. That PNSO haul is amazing, followed by those Qualia and Vitae figures.

sauroid

very cool PNSO collection, and the rest of your collection is also very nice.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Concavenator

You've got an amazing PNSO collection, and those Vitae figures you got are also real gems. Congratulations and enjoy them!

BrontoScorpio

OK, That really does it -
I hope they won't release any additional terrestrial Reptiles ( Dinosaurs ) there, at PNSO -
Because the new Olorotitan have taken the last available space in my two dedicated shelves.

Bread

I love that display Brontoscorpio! Honestly with PNSO not slowing down with releases in general, I couldn't say or think at least on whether we're going to get more dinosaurs or not....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: