News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

Oooof this is the best news I've heard this year ooooh I cant wait to get one or two  >:D

JohannesB

Anyone know the exact length of the figure? I am hoping/guessing about 35 cm. (The same scale and general size as the Carnegie model, and smaller than the Vitae sculpture.)

Eofauna

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on October 04, 2018, 01:41:07 PM
ack, eofauna, why did you have to use the inaccurate elongated skull  :(

the figure is beautiful, but can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it suffers from facial elongation as with nearly every giganotosaurus figure ever made besides the vitae giga.

would of figured that out of any company to get it right, it would of been eofauna

Hi spinosaurus1,

In fact, the skull is not so long, we tried to be very rigorous. The skull is about only 10% longer than its femur. That effect could be due to the perspective, or, in any case because the jaw mechanism makes it looks probably more elongated because of the rear cut.

We share with you some 3Ds of the prototype which was printed for the current figure, we also performed a 3D skeletal (including muscle study) to be the most accurate as possible.

Best!

Eofauna

IrritatorRaji

Release window and confirmed articulated jaw

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Eofauna on October 04, 2018, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on October 04, 2018, 01:41:07 PM
ack, eofauna, why did you have to use the inaccurate elongated skull  :(

the figure is beautiful, but can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it suffers from facial elongation as with nearly every giganotosaurus figure ever made besides the vitae giga.

would of figured that out of any company to get it right, it would of been eofauna

Hi spinosaurus1,

In fact, the skull is not so long, we tried to be very rigorous. The skull is about only 10% longer than its femur. That effect could be due to the perspective, or, in any case because the jaw mechanism makes it looks probably more elongated because of the rear cut.

We share with you some 3Ds of the prototype which was printed for the current figure, we also performed a 3D skeletal (including muscle study) to be the most accurate as possible.

Best!

Eofauna

hey. thanks for the response. if possible, could you provide the side view that highlights what the skeleton that's being used as the reference for the model looks like. perhaps it could be the perspective or the fact that you have confirmed that it is going to have articulated jaws. gotta admit that the skull has the uncanny appearance of some of the more erroneous reconstructions of the animal.

edit: just talked to someone who has made a gigantosaurus skeletal. if the skull is in fact only 10 percent longer then the femur, then it should be the correct length. i think it was the fact that the model depicts the mouth extending far back towards the quadrate that has made the head look linger then what it really is. that and of course the perspective.

Nanuqsaurus

It looks great, but I was hoping it'd be something more obscure. I already have the Safari Giganotosaurus, which is one of my favourite figures so I don't really expect to get another Giga anytime soon. But still another amazing job from Eofauna! :)

Eofauna

hey. thanks for the response. if possible, could you provide the side view that highlights what the skeleton that's being used as the reference for the model looks like. perhaps it could be the perspective or the fact that you have confirmed that it is going to have articulated jaws. gotta admit that the skull has the uncanny appearance of some of the more erroneous reconstructions of the animal.

edit: just talked to someone who has made a gigantosaurus skeletal. if the skull is in fact only 10 percent longer then the femur, then it should be the correct length. i think it was the fact that the model depicts the mouth extending far back towards the quadrate that has made the head look linger then what it really is. that and of course the perspective.

No problem. You have to be aware that no complete skull of Giganotosaurus has been found, so the exact morph and proportions are unkown, also the species is not very well described.

This is the skeletal we made for the prototype:

tyrantqueen

Nice Giggy. Wonder how big he will be.

Renecito

Awesome figure!!! And thank you for the colors, that's how i like my dinosaurs!!!
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Moldovan0731

Now that I know the skull actually isn't too long, I like this figure very much. If only the wouldn't have made it articulated so they could keep the proper shape of the lower jaw  :'(

Patrx

Hmm, I like it. I'm sure that, like most theropods, it'll look better with its mouth closed, too. Is it me, though, or does the 3D prototype look less shrinkwrapped in the skull than the actual photo? I look forward to seeing more pictures from more angles :)

ceratopsian

It looks very tempting and very classy, and I doubt I will pass it by.  I would have preferred something less often made into models - but I can see that in terms of good sales, a familiar name is probably a better seller.  And I'll be keeping the mouth on mine closed!

Syndicate Bias

It's already better than any other brand Giganotosaurus models that have come out lately, this is perfect

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Archosaur on October 04, 2018, 02:21:01 PM
Anyone know the exact length of the figure? I am hoping/guessing about 35 cm. (The same scale and general size as the Carnegie model, and smaller than the Vitae sculpture.)

According to everythigdinosaur.co.uk on his facebook page in answer to that question, the giganotosaurus of Eofauna will be 39 centimeters long. A truly large theropod dinosaur.

Syndicate Bias

So a big size like Vitae? Because Safari is 1:40 and Vitae is 1:35, most companies dont do big theropods lower than 1:35 and that's what I heard this one is which is awesome honestly.

Eofauna

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on October 04, 2018, 05:26:08 PM
So a big size like Vitae? Because Safari is 1:40 and Vitae is 1:35, most companies dont do big theropods lower than 1:35 and that's what I heard this one is which is awesome honestly.

Hi Syndicate Bias,

It is smaller than VITAE's. The thing is that –– with all respect to other brands –– other companies do not manage properly the scale proportions, in very few occasions their figures meet the promised scale, but this is not their fault, because they are not scientists. However, we actually based on real fossil measurements from published papers or taken by ourselves. For your info, most of the dinos at 1:40/1:35 scale, are actually around 1:35/1:30 or even lower, respectively.

Lanthanotus

Hmm, would also have loved to see something more obscure.... Giganotosaurus seems to be the new black... or better Rex in our cause. However, I like the fact it seems to stand on its finely proportioned feet without a stand and that it comes in a subdued but not unattractive paint job, fitting for a creature that size in my opinion. What I wonder though.... does it have lips, are the teeth covered once the mouth is closed? And which sauropod figure can I reasoanbly pose next to it? PNSO Huanghetitan should work as a stand in for Argentinosaurus, probably?

Minmiminime

Oh yes, I see this has been addressed! That makes sense. There is so much open to debate regarding proportions etc it's good to know the precise reasoning behind design decisions ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Eofauna

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2018, 05:46:33 PM
Hmm, would also have loved to see something more obscure.... Giganotosaurus seems to be the new black... or better Rex in our cause. However, I like the fact it seems to stand on its finely proportioned feet without a stand and that it comes in a subdued but not unattractive paint job, fitting for a creature that size in my opinion. What I wonder though.... does it have lips, are the teeth covered once the mouth is closed? And which sauropod figure can I reasoanbly pose next to it? PNSO Huanghetitan should work as a stand in for Argentinosaurus, probably?

Well, lips are only restricted to mammals, there is no diapsid with lips. Said this, as you asked, if the teeth are covered when mouth closed, there aren't, this is because we follow the last study of Carr et al. (2017) who found that the texture in crocodylians jaw is very similar to that of tyrannosaurids (and probably other large theropods), and therefore suggesting a similar functional mechanism in jaws and no "lips". However, the debate is open, and until more evidence or conclusive studies are published, both options are valid.

Dinoreplicas

Nice model.
Looking forward to seeing higher resolution photos.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: