News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Thought I was going to pass on this release as I normally collect mostly mammals, but this has turned out to be very tempting. Guess i'm just an Eofauna fanboy lol  ;D
I'd wager this is one of the most accurate dinosaur toys ever, and even if I don't agree on the decision to keep the teeth exposed (it doesn't seem extremely crocodilian in that respect thankfully) the rest of the body makes up for that minor detail.
Another smash hit from Eofauna! Great work and I eagerly await your next offering (a mammal perhaps?  ;) )
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Moldovan0731

Quote from: Minmiminime on October 04, 2018, 05:56:59 PM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on October 04, 2018, 01:41:07 PM
ack, eofauna, why did you have to use the inaccurate elongated skull  :(

the figure is beautiful, but can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it suffers from facial elongation as with nearly every giganotosaurus figure ever made besides the vitae giga.

would of figured that out of any company to get it right, it would of been eofauna

Just typical, eh? ;) I'm just going to ignore that little peculiarity, but it did make me think again about the Vitae one, too. They're both so pretty!!

It has been adressed in earlier comments that it's actually not the case. spinosaurus1 even saw it.

Flaffy

Was hoping to see something lesser known, like Tyrannotitan, the only large carcharodontosaurid that has yet to have adequate representation in the toy market.

Giganotosaurus is still better than another Tyrannosaurus, yes, but we've already had some really nice giganotosaurus figures in 2017 (safari) and 2018 (vitae).

In the end, it's still a very nice figure. The amazing sculpt + attractive colours are sure to result in good sales, but I was really hoping to see more obscure species from Eofauna. Was much more excited about the previous 2 releases than this one.

Jose S.M.

While I  agree that Giga is getting lots of attention, I think it's good to have another option in pvc form, the Safari one is really nice but some people have issues with it (the bsae, the coloration), and the Vitae is kind of expensive, so this is a great third option.

MLMjp

Thats a pretty good looking Giganotosaurus!

But to be honest, I wanted something else, the safari one does fine for me. I would had prefer it´s cousin Carcharodontosaurus.

Maybe they based the skull on this reconstruction by Franoys which kinda resembles the famous outadted reconstruction:

empire3569

A very nice first dinosaur model from Eofauna! I too would have preferred Carcharodontosaurus, however this appears to be an excellent Giganotosaurus that has had a lot of thought put into it. The head looks good to me, and while I think therapods probably had lips, I don't mind reconstructions without them. Add someone who hasn't picked up the safari (ugly color scheme) or the Vitae (not a fan of how extremely static the pose is) I will definitely be getting this one! Looking forward to seeing more dinos from them, particular sauropods

Halichoeres

Quote from: Eofauna on October 04, 2018, 05:45:18 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on October 04, 2018, 05:26:08 PM
So a big size like Vitae? Because Safari is 1:40 and Vitae is 1:35, most companies dont do big theropods lower than 1:35 and that's what I heard this one is which is awesome honestly.

Hi Syndicate Bias,

It is smaller than VITAE's. The thing is that –– with all respect to other brands –– other companies do not manage properly the scale proportions, in very few occasions their figures meet the promised scale, but this is not their fault, because they are not scientists. However, we actually based on real fossil measurements from published papers or taken by ourselves. For your info, most of the dinos at 1:40/1:35 scale, are actually around 1:35/1:30 or even lower, respectively.

I'm very pleased to hear that you are being careful with scales. I find it very annoying when I buy a "1:35" model or "1:40" model that is actually 1:30. Vitae's Giganotosaurus is clearly way too large. Their other figures range from 1:20 to 1:60 by my measurements. And pretty much all of Rebor's 1:35 figures are more like 1:25.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Syndicate Bias

Was hoping Eofauna would do a Giganotosaurus and they have made this a great year. I dont think another Giganotosaurus is bad.

Vitaes is rather lacklustre and flimsy and isn't very good with stability over time.

Carnegie Giganotosaurus is nice but it's a tripod and then we have wild safari is the closest we get to a natural pose but its on a base.

While PNSO has a beautiful Giganotosaurus, it seems to suffer from a very thin head which is it's only issue, nonetheless this one has even been out yet.

Finally we have Cen Dao Yi's 400-700 dollars Giganotosaurus which is the most beautiful representation of the animal as well as Shane's Giganotosaurus which I own and is my best Giganotosaurus currently and then we have Mo Models Giganotosaurus which is another resin kit. Meanwhile T Rex has dozens of models done every year it's nice to see this one as this one honestly is better quality from the looks of it than Vitae and better than safari.

Eofauna has a promising Giganotosaurus more so than what's been released from this animal these last two years. Now all we got left is for PNSO to release theirs and hopefully Papo although at this point Papo's Giganotosaurus wont be that golden egg that it was hyped up to be for years due to how many Gigas have surfaced lately

Minmiminime

I can't get over how huge this figure is going to be! 39cm!! This will undoubtedly be one of the best dinosaur figures ever made, and I greatly look forward to getting it. I'd say this is a very strong start for their dinosaur line! And whilst I would eventually like both this and the Vitae Giga, I prefer this one aesthetically and it will be the priority. We're in a golden age for our hobby! ;D
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Patrx

It is a shame about the liplessness, being quite nice apart from that. If they've managed to make it stable on those accurate-sized feet, they've really accomplished something there!

Minmiminime

Quote from: Moldovan0731 on October 04, 2018, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Minmiminime on October 04, 2018, 05:56:59 PM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on October 04, 2018, 01:41:07 PM
ack, eofauna, why did you have to use the inaccurate elongated skull  :(8

the figure is beautiful, but can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it suffers from facial elongation as with nearly every giganotosaurus figure ever made besides the vitae giga.

would of figured that out of any company to get it right, it would of been eofauna

Just typical, eh? ;) I'm just going to ignore that little peculiarity, but it did make me think again about the Vitae one, too. They're both so pretty!!

It has been adressed in earlier comments that it's actually not the case. spinosaurus1 even saw it.

I don't know how I managed to miss all that, I've been dipping in and out of this thread whenever possible today!! Thanks to you pointing this out I've been able to find out loads more ;D Thank you M @Moldovan0731 . I'm absolutely delighted that this is cleared up. Palaeontological debates aside, it's probably the most rigorously researched dinosaur figure, ever
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Moldovan0731

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2018, 07:39:11 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 04, 2018, 07:15:44 PM
All modern diapsids that aren't crocodilians or birds have lips. Crocodiles are aquatic and so make for a poor example irregardless of textures, and birds are completely non applicable because of their beaks.

I could just as easily use the evidence of tough covering on Tyrannosaur faces to suggest this as evidence they were feathered, as it shows they had hardened surfaces around their mouths like birds do. Why is it not equally ridiculous to claim that as evidence they had exposed teeth? Surely because they share one superficial characteristic, I can now infer another?

Short of evidence they were aquatic, only preserved soft facial tissue would ever make exposed teeth the realistic option.

Lizards, snakes, and even turtles (those without hard beaks) have lips. "Muscular lips" are exclusive to mammals, but lips are the norm among terrestrial vertebrates.

Yeah, well we had this discussion quite a while ago when said paper (Carr 2017) was published and I am all in with you... may just add...

"Lips" may require a more precise definition, buthard fact is that practically all living vertebrates (aquatic or not) can close their mouths shut so nothing on the inside can be seen and teeth are covered up. That is true for all classes of animals and exceptions are very few. Just a few species of fish and all crocodylians have bared teeth, and no terrestrial animal boasts bared teeth that are used for the main purpose teeth evolved for - biting and chewing.

^

Takama

Quote from: Eofauna on October 04, 2018, 05:45:18 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on October 04, 2018, 05:26:08 PM
So a big size like Vitae? Because Safari is 1:40 and Vitae is 1:35, most companies dont do big theropods lower than 1:35 and that's what I heard this one is which is awesome honestly.

Hi Syndicate Bias,

It is smaller than VITAE's. The thing is that –– with all respect to other brands –– other companies do not manage properly the scale proportions, in very few occasions their figures meet the promised scale, but this is not their fault, because they are not scientists. However, we actually based on real fossil measurements from published papers or taken by ourselves. For your info, most of the dinos at 1:40/1:35 scale, are actually around 1:35/1:30 or even lower, respectively.

Im glad someone said it.

In my Opinon,   Most companys that Asign a Scale either Have no idea what there doing when it comes to Scale, Or they just use it as a marketing ploy. Examples include CollectAs So called 1:40 Deluxe models
, and Rebor.

Patrx

Hey folks, let's keep the "lips" conversation to a more appropriate topic thread, like this oneC:-)

PhilSauria

Well I may have given up on ever getting hold of any more older classic Dinosaur figures but looks like I'm gonna have my hands full (not to mention my shelves!!) with some mighty fine new releases! Quite a few from Safari on my list but this one is right at the top - a must have for me!, and all of these available locally through Mini Zoo so no prohibitive shipping. Great start to my day seeing this final reveal. I am not a fan of the term 'fan' but if I had to use it I'd say that I'm a fan of this species and was disappointed that the Vitae Giganotosaurus was out of my reach but this one I can do. Clearing the space already!

Fembrogon

While I was hoping for something more obscure, I am totally okay with this choice; Giganotosaurus is still my favorite dinosaur, and this figure looks posed to knock all competition out of the park!* I hope the mass-production models maintain the balance pictured, and that it won't be too expensive from the supplying stores.

avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna, I want to again offer my appreciation for your communication with us on these boards. It's great to have information straight from the source, and those 3D models look lovely.

*I don't say this lightly, because I was convinced Safari ltd.'s figure was as definitive a representation as I would need. Even with Vitae's figure out and PNSO's on the way, this particular figure is already looking nicer than any of the rest.

JohannesB

I too think this figure looks nicer than any of the rest. 39 Centimeters is indeed a nice hefty size. About 4 cm longer than the Carnegie. (Mine, by the way, does stay balanced on just its two feet). The same length as the Vitae, thereabouts. (I won't be getting that one now, for sure.) I would not have minded a bit smaller, but this size is just great for such a big theropod. About the lips, I don't really mind. The articulated jaw is nice (hopefully a nicely camouflaged hinge, but I don't doubt it, giving Eofauna's eye for accuracy and beauty), gives it extra value for me. It looks as anatomically correct as can be, I think, giving the evidence shown in this thread. And the colour scheme is neither conservative nor extravagant, just very nice.

Renecito

This Giganotosaurus will be my number one favorite then Carnegie's. I never liked Vitae's and Safari's color scheme is ridiculously unatractive.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Syndicate Bias

1. Eofauna Giganotosaurus
2. PNSO Giganotosaurus
3. Wild Safari Giganotosaurus
4. Vitae Giganotosaurus
5. Carnegie Giganotosaurus

I wonder what made the Giganotosaurus their first choice

Fembrogon

On the point of length, I did a quick measurement of my Safari Giga and came up with 39 cm almost exactly; so Eofauna's figure should make a perfect companion piece.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: