You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is or was your first Dinosaur toy?

Started by Tylosaurus, March 06, 2018, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Hey all :)

It's been a while that I made a good topic here and I didn't know what to do exactly since I am more in to Collecting diecast Boeing 747's.
But either way I think we can all relate to this upcoming thread, well I hope so :)

So here by I ask you all what is or was (all depending if you still have it or not) your very first Dinosaur toy or Prehistoric Animal toy?

Mine was this 1976 Imperial Edaphosaurus which was gifted to me on the day I was born, on December 08, 1976

To my parents it was a dinosaur and collecting Dinosaurs did happen at a later time span of my youth to around 2014.
So yeah this is what I refer as a Synapsid even tho it's my first Dino toy, so what is or what was yours?

sauroid

i inherited these from my dad when i was around 4 or 5 (he used to own and play with them in the early-mid 70s when he was a kid). i think they are Marx and Tim-Mee. after all these years, they all still look bright and crisp except for the Styracosaurus' rostral horn which i chewed and bit off when i was really small. oh well.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faelrin

Interesting topic here. The earliest dinosaur toy(s) I can remember where the Primal Rage video game ones (when I was 4 I think?). These probably weren't my first dinosaur toys, but they are first I can truly remember having. Between me and my brother we had a whole set to play around with (although I was more interested in them, he did play with the gorilla characters). One of these days I'll try to get some of them again. I'm pretty sure my favorites back then were Diablo and Talon, and that is pretty much the same today, although I also like Armadon now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

My first ones were probably chinasaurs  but I don't remember them exactly. The ones that I remember better were various Imperial ones, Triceratops, Styracosaurus and two sauropods.

Tylosaurus

Hah grand stuff there guys :) 

Hmm if possible, feel free to post some photo's of them, that would be glorious  8)
Well that is if you still have photo's of them, that would be great tho! :D

They would make this topic like a "look back in time on what Dino's I began with" kind of thing
We all started with something right :)

mgaguilar

My first was the Resaurus Tyrannosaurus Rex and I got to pick it up from the Cabazon Dinosaurs. Really young, but I still have it!

IrritatorRaji

My gold ol' Invicta Rex and Megalosaurus. Got them both at the same time as a kid. I hold the Megalosaurus near and dear to my heart though because it sort of belonged to my best friend (we just kept it at my house, along with some other toys, since they were around so often) but she moved unexpectedly to Spain and I haven't heard from her since. I miss her so much and these two toys carry so many precious memories.

Libraraptor

For the 1000st time in probably the 1000st thread dealing with this topic ;),  probably a Chinasaur and as the first serious ones Invicta Diplodocus and Stegosaurus  :D

CityRaptor

Probably some Jaru Chinasaurs. First "serious" would be the Dino Riders Torosaurus. Although I probably got some wooden skeletons between those. Still have some of them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Doug Watson

I guess I missed the first 999 versions of this thread so glad to participate. ;)
Marx slim Tyrannosaurus and Brontosaurus bought by my mother for me at the National Museum of Natural Sciences in Ottawa, Canada circa 1962. I still have them today.

Moodyraptor

Mine was the Carnegie elasmosaurus - still has pride of place on my desk  ;D

Patrx

Oh, man, I once had a really awful bootleg of that Mark slim Tyrannosaurus. Seeing the original explains the very strange posture it had!

The first dinosaur toy I really remember is the Playskool Psittacosaurus:

I also had the UKRD Tyrannosaurus, and the Marx Kronosaurus, or possibly an imitation thereof.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 06, 2018, 08:55:55 PM
For the 1000st time in probably the 1000st thread dealing with this topic ;),  probably a Chinasaur and as the first serious ones Invicta Diplodocus and Stegosaurus  :D
Hmm sorry for making this thread I rarely come here as I have many Communities I run as Admin or are moderator of, even though I always come here for a nice good read to see what all you guys have been gathering as the years move by :)
Yet before I planned on making this thread, I did do a search for: "Post your First Dinosaur" in the Search bar thingie, it found many words with First in it but none matched my search.
And it didn't find me any threads based on this subject either. Now if I did, I would of used one of the older topics, so I hope it's of no issue, not my plan to be an issue here either.

------------------------
For the rest, that are some lovely memories you all have there tho, keep them coming :)

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 06, 2018, 09:37:47 PM
I guess I missed the first 999 versions of this thread so glad to participate. ;)
Marx slim Tyrannosaurus and Brontosaurus bought by my mother for me at the National Museum of Natural Sciences in Ottawa, Canada circa 1962. I still have them today.

Those are worth gold man, awesome to see some die hard classics here! Hats of and I salute to you sir! o7  8)

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 06, 2018, 09:28:38 PM
Probably some Jaru Chinasaurs. First "serious" would be the Dino Riders Torosaurus. Although I probably got some wooden skeletons between those. Still have some of them.
Hah nice choice though! Dino-Riders had some very interesting designs for  their time, Series 2 was the most interesting they came around in 1988 btw :)
DR's Kentrosaurus being one of the most accurate Kentro toys of it's time if some of you remember, the old days never die man.

Syndicate Bias

i believe it was a small cheap plastic t Rex well...it was a bag of dinos i cant really place it but I've found them before. now i gave up my mini collection when i was 14 so i didn't start collecting until i was 19 last year starting with the safari Ltd Giganotosaurus

Archinto

Hmmmm, now that's a tough one for me... The ones I can remember always being in the toy box, even before definitely dinosaurs and dino riders... i think we had a bag of hong kong marx ripoffs, inpro t rex and mammoth, a bullyland green stego original mini, some mini imperial dinosaurs and some others which I can't place. We had a couple open mouth chinasaurs too, one may have been a Ben Cooper.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Blade-of-the-Moon

man that's tough..  I  think it was something by Imperial? It was def made in China.. lol

SBell

I know I had some severe Imperial cheesy figures as a kid--and I am pretty certain that I also had an Inpro Pteranodon for a while. But I gave them away when I was about 11.

The oldest ones I have now are first-run issue Carnegie Elasmosaurus (high neck, brown paint) and Mosasaurus--they were in my high school locker (along with a lot of other nonsense). For everything else I've had and no longer do, I still have those ones!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I can't say for sure which was my first but I remember having lots of chinasaurs, including Marx knock-off plateosaurus and a few others. My first higher-end figures were the WS triceratops (gray and green), utahraptor, brachiosaurus, and pteranodon. I got these when we were learning about dinosaurs in second grade and had to make a shoebox diorama but the brachiosaurus never made it in.

My elementary school used to have a hobby night where kids could show off our collections and I remember bringing all my dinosaurs that night... still mostly chinasaurs, but with a few Safari figures in there with the Carnegie brachiosaurus towering over them all.

EDIT: Now that I've given it some thought I would have gotten a pair of Carnegie mammoths early on as well, I'd say perhaps a year earlier than the others.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

stargatedalek

Hard to say, probably the first would have been from Dollar stores of the time, but the first ones that I really knew the brand of and targeted based on that would have been Jurassic Park (and that was long after they left stores).

*edit*

Actually, the first was a brand under K&M called "Audubon Birds", little plushies that chirped when you squeezed them, there was a couple extinct species in the roster iirc.

SidB

I found the painted Invicta Mamenchisaurus (blue) in the winter of 2005 at the local Value Village in Rexdale, Toronto. It was the first time that I'd ever seen a "museum quality" dinosaur and I was stunned. Picked it up for $2.99, as I remember. It launched me on my collecting career and re-ignited my long dormant interest in paleontolgy. Still remains one of my favorites (despite its retro qualities) for its sentimental value and its high quality of sculpting.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: