You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

RE: Pachycephalosaurus, Dracorex, and Stygimoloch

Started by Shadowknight1, May 20, 2018, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

It may be dumb of me to ask, but why are Dracorex and Stygimoloch still treated as their own genus when it sounds to me like most scientists are agreeing that they're both juveniles of Pachycephalosaurus?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Halichoeres

I'm not sure how unanimous that is. My impression is that the evidence is circumstantial and the remains only moderately good. But even if it's true that they are juvenile Pachys, their morphology is different enough that they're still interesting, and it's easier to remember than, say, "juvenile stage 1" and "juvenile stage 2." For what it's worth, it's unusual in amniotes to see something as elaborate as Stygimoloch's horns grow and then be resorbed.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2018, 10:36:20 PM
I'm not sure how unanimous that is. My impression is that the evidence is circumstantial and the remains only moderately good. But even if it's true that they are juvenile Pachys, their morphology is different enough that they're still interesting, and it's easier to remember than, say, "juvenile stage 1" and "juvenile stage 2." For what it's worth, it's unusual in amniotes to see something as elaborate as Stygimoloch's horns grow and then be resorbed.
This is the thing that constantly confused me about that.  I could understand a frill growing larger, so I don't have a problem with the whole Torosaurus/Triceratops thing as much, but losing the horns completely from Stygi to Pachy?  Seemed a little odd to me.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Mini Minmi

From what I understood, it was deemed plausible that stygimoloch's horns would disappear based on triceratops' horns changing direction as they age as well as the tiny triangles around the frill (you'll have to forgive me the name eludes me at the moment) disappearing between sub-adult and full grown adult size. The adults seem to show an almost smooth frill. But still, stygimoloch's horns seem much larger so it's tougher to believe.

Cretaceous Crab

Unusual but not unheard of.  One species that comes readily to mind is the common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina). Hatchlings and juveniles have heavily ridged carapaces, which often leads to them being mistaken for Alligator snapping turtles. The ridges recede as the animal matures, and  a grown common snapper will have a smooth shell.

Halichoeres

Quote from: LeviRawl on May 22, 2018, 05:23:10 PM

Unusual but not unheard of.  One species that comes readily to mind is the common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina). Hatchlings and juveniles have heavily ridged carapaces, which often leads to them being mistaken for Alligator snapping turtles. The ridges recede as the animal matures, and  a grown common snapper will have a smooth shell.

That's an interesting example. As you say, not unheard of. And of course quite common in amphibians and fishes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 24, 2018, 02:42:44 AM

That's an interesting example. As you say, not unheard of. And of course quite common in amphibians and fishes.

And we already know that tyrannosaurus and ceratopsians went through some pretty hardcore changes as well. So I don't feel its that much of a stretch from a Stygi or Dracorex to go to a Pachy.

Halichoeres

Quote from: LeviRawl on May 24, 2018, 12:38:43 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 24, 2018, 02:42:44 AM

And we already know that tyrannosaurus and ceratopsians went through some pretty hardcore changes as well. So I don't feel its that much of a stretch from a Stygi or Dracorex to go to a Pachy.

They did, but none seem to involve resorption. All the changes in Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus seem to be explainable in terms of allometry. Even the comparatively long arms of Nanotyrannus, if that proves to be a juvenile T. rex, weren't larger in absolute terms than those of an adult. That's the part that I'm stuck on. I'm not sure that snapping turtle shells aren't allometry, either, or how much of the difference is only in the keratinous layer of the shell (maybe you can shed light on that). And of course we have no data on the extent of keratin extensions of pachycephalosaur horns, as far as I know.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.