You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Maybe both? Or maybe Thylacotator:
https://jurassicpark.fandom.com/wiki/Thylacotator
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Stegotyranno420

Me and my brother always used these terms as young kids, now i feel like a baffoon haha

Loon

Let me be clear. Even though I find these terms annoying as sin, go ahead and say them. It's not like they're slurs or anything. They just annoy me personally, so does calling figures "pieces", but that's a take for another day.

Here's one inspired by some recent forum talk, after having both the Carnegie and Safari Concavenator figures, I honestly find this year's figure to be a better representation of the animal. Now, the sculpt isn't my favorite, but it just looks more like Concavenator to me.

PumperKrickel

This could all be avoided if dinosaurs had common names and not just scientific names. It would increase the accessibility of our hobby to the general public so much.
Saying Ailuropoda melanoleuca is no fun, no matter how one shortens it. Saying Giant Panda however - now that´s fun!

Sarapaurolophus

I dislike the word "smoo" and I think dinosaurs shouldn't say it on TV, especially when children could be watching ;D

Reuben03

Dinosaur non action figure toys are dead. They have no charm nowadays. After the Panini prehistoric animals and K&M minis, they've mostly been not nice to look at and not fun to play with. The new mattel jurasic line is nicely articulated with some obscure species being shown off and the BOTM action figures are superb but all non action figure dinosaurs have lost their cute collectable charm. Like what even is schleich doing nowadays? Their stuff is so so bad.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 13, 2020, 11:43:20 PM
Like what even is schleich doing nowadays? Their stuff is so so bad.

Believe me, this is not a controversial opinion around here.

Loon

Dinosaur non action figure toys are dead. They have no charm nowadays. After the Panini prehistoric animals and K&M minis, they've mostly been not nice to look at and not fun to play with. The new mattel jurasic line is nicely articulated with some obscure species being shown off and the BOTM action figures are superb but all non action figure dinosaurs have lost their cute collectable charm. Like what even is schleich doing nowadays? Their stuff is so so bad.

I believe the word you're struggling with is "figurine".

Also, you dislike modern dinosaur figurines because they don't look like cheap dollar store gashapon toys? Um...that's definitely...a take.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Loon on October 13, 2020, 11:55:10 PM
gashapon toys?

I think the word you mean is gumball machine. Gashapon figures are usually much better made than those.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 14, 2020, 12:25:30 AM
gashapon toys?

I think the word you mean is gumball machine. Gashapon figures are usually much better made than those.

True, I just use gashapon more often as a catch all term.

Reuben03

I believe the word you're struggling with is "figurine".

Also, you dislike modern dinosaur figurines because they don't look like cheap dollar store gashapon toys? Um...that's definitely...a take.
Yes yes yes!!!!! K&M minis are for me, as close to perfection as we have gotten, if only a line exactly like it but accurate was released...

Reuben03

Patrx

That certainly is an unusual opinion! I applaud your outside-the-box thinking, certainly. For myself, I dislike articulation altogether.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Patrx on October 14, 2020, 04:48:43 PM
That certainly is an unusual opinion! I applaud your outside-the-box thinking, certainly. For myself, I dislike articulation altogether.
I only like jaw articulation. thats why i dont really like the mattel figures. They are out of scale and strangley articulated

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 14, 2020, 04:51:00 PM
I only like jaw articulation. thats why i dont really like the mattel figures. They are out of scale and strangley articulated

I honestly don't like articulated figures. That is one of the reasons why I do not buy the Mattel figures for example. Except for the three versions of tyrannosaurus rex from Kaiyodo and the ceratopsid figures from Beasts of the Mesozoic David Silva, for the rest of the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals I am not a person interested in acquiring them.

Loon

This is where I have landed over time. I used to be more of a straight up action figure collector (Transformers, Marvel Legends, Star Wars), but I don't really care much for articulated figures anymore.

Is liking the CollectA Dimetrodon more than Safari's a controversial opinion?

Shane

Always nice to see a truly controversial opinion in this thread.

Personally I enjoy articulation in action figures, not so much in dinosaur/animal figures.

I suppose to throw my own controversial take in there, articulated figures usually land between Mattel's JW line ("articulation" that is almost non-existent or unnecessary) or BOTM (articulation that makes the figure difficult to stand and takes away from the "silhouette" of how a particular creatures is supposed to look).

I enjoy BOTM, but so far it's kind of a novelty. None of the BOTM raptor figures I have stands in a way that looks particularly dynamic or convincing, even with the bases and support rods. They also, due to the necessities of articulation, have the somewhat dated look of feathers slapped a bit haphazardly onto a formerly scaled animal. It's difficult to truly get the proper "bird-like" feathering on a dinosaur while still making it move like an action figure.

I am probably somewhat biased though ;)

Smilodon P.

The figurines are much more beautiful, but the static aspect bothers me.

The action figures, on the other hand, allow us to pose them in different ways (respecting the limitations of the joints), but the fact that the articulated parts are visible takes away some of the credibility of a real animal.

It would be interesting to think of a middle ground that has the advantages of both, as in this seamless movable figure of a dog (even though it have some common flaws typical of these figures):

Halichoeres

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 13, 2020, 07:26:07 PM
Maybe both? Or maybe Thylacotator:
https://jurassicpark.fandom.com/wiki/Thylacotator

"Thulakos" is Greek for "pouch," so all I can think of when I see that name is "pouch potato."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

A seamless dinosaur or prehistoric animal with an articulated body like that dog would be great, but what Stolpergeist said would be a very expensive figure at the height of a Sideshow dinosaur, although I honestly would like a brand to focus on making figures of quality combining extraordinary quality, low price and that the figure was of maximum durability. By daydreaming I do not harm anyone, but perhaps in the future we will be able to see our wishes fulfilled, at least this one?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: