You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 10, 2021, 12:43:44 AM
Who are you talking too again?  Im pretty sure none of us in this current convo really cared too much about that pyroraptor thing, but i don't keep track of small things so i might be wrong.
This was the only guy who seemed to really care about it, and he just types like that whenever he speaks, he was not being harsh at all
Spoiler

[close]
lol oh no what did i do

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 Oy nothin mate u cool.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on March 09, 2021, 11:13:25 PM
my climate is very cruel to Theropods

(read in Walking with Dinosaurs narration):
QuoteOn the scrublands and deserts of the Loon, this is a wasteland for theropods. Almost every species of theropod here has become extinct in less than 10 generations. This is a world for Ornithischians, the dominant group of animals. Away from danger, some had resorted to smaller sizes to conserve food and energy, while others have grown bigger, away from the carnivorous shadows that rule the rest of the world.
yeah I'm getting a bit too carried away

Reuben03

Loon

Quote from: Concavenator on March 10, 2021, 12:45:42 AM
Quote from: Loon on March 09, 2021, 11:13:25 PM
my climate is very cruel to Theropods

Theropods:  >:( :( :-\  ❌ ??? >:( ⛈>:( :( :'(
Ornithischians: ✅✨❤️ :-*❤️✅☀️🌟 💗 :D💓💞❣️💖

Ummm..... Ok?

Reuben03

PNSO when they make an amazing theropod and then give it stupid croc teeth with scurvy

Loon

Quote from: Reuben03 on March 10, 2021, 01:00:25 AM

PNSO when they make an amazing theropod and then give it stupid croc teeth with scurvy

Serious Stephen Gammel vibes here.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 my favorite PNSO theropod has to be DAYONG the Yangchuanosaurus. I love me a great Yang. Obscure, yet gigantic species. Cant believe people don't notice it as much as other theropods. And the Yang is pretty good, even though a wise man told me it was a flop when it comes to accuracy. If I'm not mistaken it could work as some other species.

to be frank, Pnso did technically take it a step further with the Crocodile headed theropod

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 10, 2021, 12:36:04 AM
Aside from my language, I don't see I'm being any more harsh than many people, including you, were towards the JW Pyroraptor design.

There was not merely complaint, but rage and disdain over that.

But mentioning the PNSO theropods issues gets you yelled at, met with disdain, and all concerns dismissed as being over-sensitive.

What makes PNSO ignoring well established evidence to make their theropods over-textured, leaving teeth hanging loose from their sockets, and generally leaning overly conservative in their reconstructions just "reasonable interpretation" but the JW Pyroraptor not having full wings worthy of rage and rant? Why are movie monsters treated more harshly and place under far more scrutiny than figures claiming to be researched scientific models?
I really don't have an issue with the word, just the context of the sentence/statement. As I felt that you made it seem as if companies or PNSO were not giving a full amount of effort in their figures in general. I do disagree with the statement, however to each their own opinions.

I have no idea about the JW Pyroraptor discussion as I do not follow JW products. However, I will say you are right about the argument comparison. I have noticed that scientific figures get a pass for the use of the word "speculation" as movie/video game monsters need to be 100% screen accurate or the figure is a complete miss for some. Just my thoughts on that matter, controversial or not I have noticed for quite a while now. Even I am a culprit for using speculation often.

To avoid growing this argument, I won't respond to any further comments on the matter. It is really no big deal as I only felt this whole discussion of PNSO therapod issues have been addressed a million times already (exaggerated), plus I felt the issues with the PNSO therapods were not a big deal or very little issues with them, especially Wilson.

I really try to avoid arguments, my apologies if it happens.

Bokisaurus

Okay, my controversial opinion has nothing to do with the figures or the company being discussed here.
It's the tone of how the conversation is going that I find highly disturbing and disappointing. Really, some of the comments and words being used are are so insulting and disrespectful.
Fine if one doesn't like a figure, okay to disagree, fine to voice your opinion, but there is a proper way do do so without being so insulting.
Ones opinion is just that, one of many, and there are many who don't share some of those negative and often toxic opinions.

You don't have to like a figure or company, but be mindful that others do. And for people like me who happened to like the figure and company, it's getting really tiring to keep on reading the same argument over and over again on various threads!
No need to turn all negative just to prove a point.

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 10, 2021, 05:08:09 AM
Okay, my controversial opinion has nothing to do with the figures or the company being discussed here.
It's the tone of how the conversation is going that I find highly disturbing and disappointing. Really, some of the comments and words being used are are so insulting and disrespectful.
Fine if one doesn't like a figure, okay to disagree, fine to voice your opinion, but there is a proper way do do so without being so insulting.
Ones opinion is just that, one of many, and there are many who don't share some of those negative and often toxic opinions.

You don't have to like a figure or company, but be mindful that others do. And for people like me who happened to like the figure and company, it's getting really tiring to keep on reading the same argument over and over again on various threads!
No need to turn all negative just to prove a point.
I appreciate your consistently positive attitude, B @Bokisaurus . Always try to grasp the upside where possible, myself, even though it sometimes, or maybe even most times involves a "willing suspension of disbelief." Makes the hobby much more fun, I find. You've got a tough job, IMO, being a global moderator and having to peruse the threads. There's a thin line, often as fine as a thread, but as hard as a diamond, between constructive criticism and the other side of the line. Personally, I often find that distinction a tough one to discern.

JPuggy

I actually like chinasaurs. i grew up with them and imperial figures and I think they are pretty cool. Not accurate at all, but still fun to play with.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: JPuggy on March 11, 2021, 04:23:26 PM
I actually like chinasaurs. i grew up with them and imperial figures and I think they are pretty cool. Not accurate at all, but still fun to play with.
Very wholesome. I remember my little kid days of me just playing and making documentaries with mine. Good Times

Loon

After some discussion with a friend, I realized that none of the existing Quetzalcoatlus figures work for me. I just want a 1:35/1:40 scale, standing Quetzalcoatlus. Sure, a flying pose shows off the wingspan, but there's something so shocking about the height of this animal on all fours. The closest figure to what I'd want is CollectA's, which is unfortunately from that awkward phase when accuracy and detail were just starting to become a concern for them.

Bread

Quote from: Loon on March 13, 2021, 12:50:57 AM
After some discussion with a friend, I realized that none of the existing Quetzalcoatlus figures work for me. I just want a 1:35/1:40 scale, standing Quetzalcoatlus. Sure, a flying pose shows off the wingspan, but there's something so shocking about the height of this animal on all fours. The closest figure to what I'd want is CollectA's, which is unfortunately from that awkward phase when accuracy and detail were just starting to become a concern for them.
I completely agree, and honestly I think there are a lot more people who would agree with you. I am surprised this genus is not made more often as it is well known for a non-dinosaur, or at least I consider it be well known.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If my parents know what it is, then I'd call at least fairly well known, and they know what Quetzalcoatlus is.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

Quetzalcoatlus northropi and Hatzegopteryx are overrated.  They're both known from fragmentary remains only and their appearance is unknown.  There is also Quetzalcoatlus sp. but it is much smaller than the aforementioned giants although it is known from much better skeletal remains.  I'm surprised there are as many Quetzalcoatlus figures as there are, no doubt they all intend to represent Q. northropi.  Personally I'm sick of these giant azhdarchids getting attention, they are all fantasy reconstructions and smaller pterosaurs need good figures so much.

Lynx

I honestly think Hatzegopteryx is underrated. Barely anybody knows of its existence and instead people draw their attention to Quetzacoatlus and other popular pterosaurs. Not to mention the only Hatzegopteryx figure out there looks nothing like the actual pterosaur. Give it a little more attention please! HOWEVER, I do agree that the small pterosaurs need a little love. I have only seen a couple figures of small pterosaurs, and barely any of them are all that great.
An oversized house cat.

Kapitaenosavrvs

And here is Number 3 :D

I just like the big Azhdarchids. No under- oder overrated Animal. Very interesting Animals. They are kind of a Mystery. No good Figures of them. I feel you, avatar_Loon @Loon. As far as the Wild Past Homepage goes, there is a Shapeways Hatzegopteryx in the Making in 1:35.

I do not think, that this is a really controversial Opinion, but i like Pterosaurfigures more in a Groundposition. Especially bigger Pterosaurs.
But beeing in this Thread right now: I love and hate the Way, new Figures are more and more detailed, more and more accurate and affordable at the same time. It is not the faul of the Figures. I love that. But it changes my way of looking at a Figure. I have to search for inaccuracies rather than beeing happy about a detail, that went the right way. The right way in my personal Accuracy- and Knowlegdebubble, which changes from Information to Information. Every day. Unless i make something to my Agenda. That should not be happening in a Hobby like this.

This can turn into a Chase and a Run for the next and new and even MORE accurate Figure and also tends to be more negative than positive in general. Therefore i am happy about this slightly slower Place here. Where People have the Option to calm down, breathe, and then write their text. Or don't write a text.

Stegotyranno420

I feel bad that allosauroids are often all grouped together, and most people say they all look the same just with a bit skull difference. They often completely overloook a unique and probably one of the most successful non avian dinosaur lineages.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: