News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

That means that if your models are already painted they will be marketed simultaneously soon as it puts in the statement. But honestly in this case I would have liked the BoTM styracosaurus with a few touches of red paint, although it looks elegant with that orange color mixed with green colors and white stripes it would have been better reddish colors and instead of the orange color. On the other hand, their horns look spectacular, as I supposed and wanted.

PhilSauria

These look amazing - that Styracosaurus is a must-have for me, can't wait to see the Triceratops with paint on it.

And thanks for posting the images and not just the link - not everyone in the world is on Facebook! It can be frustrating when a link to these things is posted and you end up at a log in page.

Faelrin

The Styracosaurus will be a must have for me too. I've been planning on getting that one since 2016 or 2017 when I talked to David about it at JerseyFest.

Some more images of the Sinoceratops have been posted. Have a few below:

And the source for more:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BeastSculptKit/photos/?tab=album&album_id=3003586099656575&ref=page_internal
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

That Sinoceratops really does have the best colour scheme of any BotM ceratopsian yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Wow, absolutely stunning. Really digging the oriental influence.
The front feet still look a little clumped and awkward compared to Jake's ceratopsid feet sculpts , but this figure is still a definite must have. Easily one of the most beautiful ceratopsid figures ever made.

I guess this will also be around $100, since he's even bigger than the Albertoceratops.

Shonisaurus

The BoTM protoceratops for its size and as a consequence for its price that will not be high is for me one of the few BoTM figures that I will buy this year, not because I don't like them but because their prices will be very high as I have mentioned on other occasions.

Smilodon P.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on August 12, 2019, 12:56:39 PM
The BoTM protoceratops for its size and as a consequence for its price that will not be high is for me one of the few BoTM figures that I will buy this year, not because I don't like them but because their prices will be very high as I have mentioned on other occasions.

The Protoceratops is my main goal.
The P. Mongoliensis and the Chasmosaurus are also on my list, but I'll wait to see the final look of them.

ZoPteryx

Wow, these are looking so good.  And the start date is fast approaching!  :o

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 13, 2019, 08:27:28 AM
Wow, these are looking so good.  And the start date is fast approaching!  :o

I know! I had a dream a few nights ago that the Kickstarter began and I woke up and immediately scrambled to go edit this thread before realizing I was a bit early ::)

suspsy

More images of the unpainted Triceratops have been added to CB's Facebook.

LeapingLaelaps

Here's some pictures of the adult triceratops prototype, ft a comparison with Boba and the juvenile triceratops!
I'm so terrified to see how much this guy is gonna cost

Shonisaurus

I would like to know before the summer ends with how hot the price of such triceratops is. Surely knowing the price I was going to remove the heat during the summer and the cold during the winter. The price of BoTM triceratops should be scary.

RobinGoodfellow

..to be honest, the more I see about this line and the less interested I am on it..  ???

Halichoeres

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 17, 2019, 08:48:49 AM

..to be honest, the more I see about this line and the less interested I am on it..  ???

I definitely lost some interest when he "postponed" (which I think is a euphemism for "canceled") the leptoceratopsids and other less commonly made species to get to the standard ceratopsids earlier. But I'll probably still buy a few of them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 17, 2019, 08:48:49 AM

Yeah, since they announced there'd be no accessory packs, I've been feeling the same  :-\

suspsy

I've become more excited about this project as it continues to unfold. I'll definitely be getting a couple of the smaller ceratopsians, and maybe the Torosaurus depending on how well it scales with the future Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dinoguy2

So the "juvenile" Triceratops is just a mini version of the adult? Just because Toroceratops didn't pan out doesn't mean there were no changes during ontogeny...

Not complaining, because it's nice to have a more affordable version. But it should be labeled as Triceratops mini rather than a juvenile.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 18, 2019, 05:48:51 PM
So the "juvenile" Triceratops is just a mini version of the adult? Just because Toroceratops didn't pan out doesn't mean there were no changes during ontogeny...

Not complaining, because it's nice to have a more affordable version. But it should be labeled as Triceratops mini rather than a juvenile.

I suspect that resemblance may have been deliberate on David Silva's part. He knows full well that Triceratops is by far the most popular ceratopsian, but that not everyone may be able or willing to shell out for a colossal-sized one. A smaller version is also good for collectors with limited display space.

Wouldn't surprise me if he does both "adult" and "juvenile" versions of T. rex.

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: suspsy on August 18, 2019, 05:42:35 PM
I've become more excited about this project as it continues to unfold. I'll definitely be getting a couple of the smaller ceratopsians, and maybe the Torosaurus depending on how well it scales with the future Tyrannosaurus rex.

Same, the more David posts about the Kickstarter the more excited I get ;D

Also, on the topic of adult VS juvenile Triceratops, here's what David said on Facebook:

"I do understand your perspective on this, and it is appreciated. It's not a point I've seen brought up before, so I thank you for that. However, Ronald has nailed the reasoning behind my decision to not make these two figures more different*, so I won't repeat what he's already taken the time to explain. I think what he is taking exception to is the idea that the strategy is 'lazy', and honestly, I do as well. While you bring up a good point, it is only one consideration of a much larger whole. While I'm not interested in explaining how inaccurate the term 'lazy' is to describe anything about this project, I will say that the smaller Triceratops, while sharing the same body sculpt, does have a unique sculpt for the head that was very deliberately based on the Paul drawing noted above. I always encourage constructive criticism as it has taught me a lot over the years, but it's really only useful when respect is shown for what myself and my team are looking to accomplish."

*The reasoning being that some collectors are on a budget and can't afford a 100$+ figurine, which is why the juvenile and adult are so similar sculpt-wise.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: