News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on February 25, 2021, 08:10:00 PM
Like I said I would, I returned to my local store and finally got the Safari Pteranodon, and it's stunning. Until now, I only had 3 pterosaurs in my collection: Papo's Pteranodon, Schleich's 2009 Quetzalcoatlus and Safari's Tapejara. They're all dated in some way, so it's nice to finally have an accurate pterosaur in my collection.

Not to mention that I'm honored to have in my collection a Pteranodon sculpted by the same sculptor who made those gorgeous life sized Pteranodon models at the Canadian Museum of Nature  ;)

All in all, I'm very happy with this month's acquisitions. I also got the Papo Pentaceratops and both of these are just gorgeous.

Glad to hear you're pleased. I really love that Pteranodon myself.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator My congratulations on your new acquisition. If indeed that pteranodon is one of the best pteranodon that exists in the market. I'm glad you already have it in your collection.

avatar_Kotori_Sonoda @Kotori_Sonoda My congratulations on that dinosaur skeleton

On the other hand, I already acquired the UKRD brontosaurus in perfect condition. It is exciting to see another new retro dinosaur in my collection and thanks to the management of avatar_Duna @Duna  who helped me. I never thought that after more than 30 years I would find this beauty. I am very happy.Thanks avatar_Duna @Duna , I am totally grateful for everything you are doing.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Congrats on picking up the Safari Ltd Pteranodon. It is definitely one of my top favorites in my collection from Safari Ltd so far.

I have a new thing to show that I am excited about finally having. It is the Amber Collection Dilophosaurus. I was lucky to find this in stock on some website called Collector's Cave I think.

Here is a quick comparison with my first Mattel Dilophosaurus, the 2018 Legacy Collection one.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Congrats on the Dilophosaurus, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin. Your pics reminded me how much nicer that original legacy pack Dilophosaurus is than the upcoming way.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Concavenator

Thanks everyone! That Pteranodon really is a lovely piece. It's my first non-dinosaur acquisition after 12 years, the last ones I got were way back in 2009 when I got the Bullyland Batrachotomus, Arizonasaurus and Schleich's Quetzalcoatlus. So this fact is just a testament to how good this figure is!

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on February 26, 2021, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on February 21, 2021, 06:39:21 PM
Certainly, I had seen pics and reviews of it before, and thought it looked nice, but in person it truly is a sight to behold. I inmediately remembered a post by avatar_Sarapaurolophus @Sarapaurolophus where she said it is a masterpiece and I finally understand why. However, it's not all positives though. As expected from Papo, they don't care about accuracy, but it bugs me that they didn't at least get the hands and the feet right.

You remembered something I don't remember myself :)) But I am still super happy with my Pentaceratops, it's a nice and dramatic figure. Totally agree with you, it's in many ways a fantasy dino. But it steals the show.

I don't know why, but when I read that post of yours it stuck with me  ;D And it sure does, every time I look at my Papo shelf I can't help but look at the Pentaceratops first. 8)

Halichoeres

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator it actually really bums me out that you have so few non-dinosaurs! There are so many cool non-dinosaurs!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 27, 2021, 05:47:46 PM
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator it actually really bums me out that you have so few non-dinosaurs! There are so many cool non-dinosaurs!

Yes, I know! I do appreciate some non-dinosaurs, but what happens, though, is that I'm an extremely slow collector and I don't have a lot of space either, so my focus is on dinosaurs. That leads to non-dinosaurs being criminally underrepresented in my collection.

In ideal conditions where I got more figures and space, there would naturally be some non-dinosaur figures that I would like to get, such as CollectA's Edaphosaurus, Lisowicia, the Supreme pterosaurs and Eofauna's breathtaking proboscideans, just to name a few.

Carnoking

Well, after nearly four months of waiting, this big guy finally arrived and my sauropod shelf is at its limit. Betcha anything now that I finally have this guy, Nanmu's going to come out with a tease for a brachiosaurus.  :P

Stegotyranno420

Faelrin

That's absolutely huge. Stunning sauropod collection too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

I had a double box day yesterday: one from Amazon Japan and one from Safari Ltd..

While shipping from Japan isn't exactly cheap, the figures themselves were inexpensive enough that it balanced out. Diplodocus is surprisingly long, and it's nice to have a Tarbosaurus in my collection now; but honestly I think the "Prehistoric Life" figures are stronger products than the "Dinosaur" figures. I'm delighted to have a mid-sized figure of Opabinia and Anomalocaris at last! They're not as prominent or as active as companies like CollectA or Safari, but Favorite Co. is still pretty good.

Speaking of Safari...

Safari Ltd. has been going nuts with promotions and discounts lately; so I took advantage and bought this bunch with a 20% coupon. This year's theropods are a delight in hand, and the big mammals are much bigger than I realized!

Here they are again with the last haul I made from 2020:

(The dragon was a bonus add-on; I'll probably give it away to a friend)

sauroid

i recently got the mini PNSO Gigantoraptor

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Thialfi

avatar_sauroid @sauroid funny, I had been looking at this figure and its larger counterpart yesterday. Do you own that one as well? I hope some company will make a properly sized, bulky gigantoraptor one time. Not a fan of the CollectA one.

My new acquisition, finally, the gold standard in woolly mammoth figures!

Shonisaurus

avatar_sauroid @sauroid My congratulations on your new acquisition. To date, the PNSO gigantoraptor mini is the highest quality figure in my view of all those sold by the various toy dinosaur brands.

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi My congratulations on your primigenius mammoth is one of the best done so far.

PrimevalRaptor

Stumbled upon the Schleich Brontosaurus today (sadly the store didn't have any of the other new ones) and while there's a good few issues like the nostrils or the huge scales, I gotta admit it is much better in person and has a certain charm to it.
A VERY amazing point is that they actually seem to have gotten the feet right, way too often Schleich has given their sauropods elephantine feet.

Thialfi

Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus! I am very happy indeed with this already iconic figure.

I got some more in as well today; I received a gift voucher from a friend which I used to pick up the Safari kaprosuchus (which actually kind of warmed me up for the new Schleich one - I like the Papo one as well, but not sure if I can look past the inaccuracies) and a Schleich postosuchus. I am not really a Schleich person, but there is something about this little weirdo that really appealed to me. And can't pass up the rare chance at a Triassic animal of course.

Ah, and the PNSO lambeosaurus. I promised myself I would focus on non-dinosaurian prehistoric animals from now on, but seeing the enthusiasm surrounding this figure I just had to see it in person. Found a good enough deal and the rest is history. She's a beauty. So elegant! I am smitten.

Thialfi

avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor you know, I actually kind of like it. It's definitely not perfect, but the figure brings over it's calm demeanor very well, and it looks properly big and heavy - they managed to give it believable bulk. You could a lot worse when looking for a brontosaurus!

Dusty Wren

That Schleich Brontosaurus looks like he just does not give a crap anymore. You're right, the attitude is kind of charming. I can really relate to this plastic dinosaur.
Check out my customs thread!

Thialfi

HAHA exactly that, it looks so chilled out; "no one can touch me and I truly don't give a damn anymore". I dig it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: